Alcohol Tinctures

• Thread starter eddie1681
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
eddie1681

eddie1681

Hello!!

I have just made some alcohol tinctures with 190 proof everclear. I made it with my magical butter machine temp @ 130 and ran it for 4hrs. This is the first time I have done this and want to use this for gummies.

There is still a lot of alcohol taste to it, will the gummies taste like alcohol?

I have read though some of the old post, some would use a crock pot and pyrex to evaporate the alcohol is this a pretty safe process since there isn't any open flame?

I was thinking of using the mason jar and fill the crock pot with water and let it run on med to high heat, how long does this process take?

I know some would add glycerin after getting the alcohol out.

Thank you for all the help!!

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

Newbie here, been making tincture for a year, my experience

You do not want alcohol in your gummy recipe, they will not set
Reduce the tincture in a double boiler method on an electric stovetop, no flame!
Coffee mug warmers or something similar work well
Use a fan and cover the open tincture jar with a mesh strainer to prevent debris from falling into the tincture, the fan speeds evaporation and dissipates the alcohol fumes, all done close to an open window
Reduce into coconut (mct) oil or honey and use that in your gummy recipe
IMG 20201110 092131
IMG 20201110 092249
IMG 20201110 103346

You will get the hang of it and be making edibles in no time!
Good luck

eddie1681

eddie1681

Newbie here, been making tincture for a year, my experience

You do not want alcohol in your gummy recipe, they will not set
Reduce the tincture in a double boiler method on an electric stovetop, no flame!
Coffee mug warmers or something similar work well
Use a fan and cover the open tincture jar with a mesh strainer to prevent debris from falling into the tincture, the fan speeds evaporation and dissipates the alcohol fumes, all done close to an open window
Reduce into coconut (mct) oil or honey and use that in your gummy recipe
View attachment 1067463View attachment 1067464View attachment 1067465
You will get the hang of it and be making edibles in no time!
Good luck

Thank you so much I will give it a try

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

You can do it with 151, just a bit more of an involved process of reduction then reconstitution
This removes some of the water from the lower proof alcohol
Unsure if posting links to other sites is permissible but lmk and I can figure something out

Glassdub

Glassdub

I ended up getting this stuff.

420trout

420trout

I use 151 in my tinctures. Only I have never tried making gummies from that. I just put a dozen or so drops in some OJ before bed and sleep like a baby! Be careful that you don't cook out the thc. I know over heating it can have a bad effect and it won't be as potent. I like the double boiler method suggested, but might suggest having a cooking thermometer handy to help regulate the temp.

Glassdub

Glassdub

I use 151 in my tinctures. Only I have never tried making gummies from that. I just put a dozen or so drops in some OJ before bed and sleep like a baby! Be careful that you don't cook out the thc. I know over heating it can have a bad effect and it won't be as potent. I like the double boiler method suggested, but might suggest having a cooking thermometer handy to help regulate the temp.
Does it hit as fast as as under tongue never used edibles, a bit worried about the straight 200 proof burn under the tongue, in tea would be good if it didn't lag too much.
Got this:
The price was nice.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q3SYQ45/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

420trout

420trout

I don't do it under the tongue. I usually put 12 -15 drops in about 2 ounces of OJ. Can't hardly taste it that way. I know it works. Within an hour I an usually fast asleep and when I get up I seems to always have severe cotton mouth.

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

You can actually do it entirely with glycerine, no other alcohol needed. The method of Makin tincture with everclear used to be called Green Dragon. It works under the tongue, but it does have a little bite to it!

Tincandtoke

Tincandtoke

In the double boiler method temps do not get above 212f (100c) so there is no risk of thc evaporation (around 315f, 157c)
You lose terpenes but you can buy them and add them back in if desired
The higher proof alcohol is just a lot easier

BizzyBe

BizzyBe

To re-open an old thread: like the first poster, I made a tincture of various trim I've been collecting in Everclear 151. But now, when I reduce some of it, keeping the temp around 260 to boil off the alcohol, I get a liquid with small clumps of tar that mostly stick to the pan. And it still burns like heck on the tongue. How do I make this into something useful for gummies or cookies?

I hope I didn't just waste half an ounce of trim!

Top Bottom