Alternatives to HPS that live up to their hype?

• Thread starter CheeseDawg91
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

Those results are interesting, especially the difference in terpenes between the two samples. I have only had led bud once that I know of , and it wasnt perfect looking. It as led as well as organic soil grown, the effect was stronger than I notice from hps and hydro grows. The taste was phenomenal, very clean sour grape flavor from the strain of the same name. I forget, which LED system was this grower using in this comparison?

D

Dojoking

Those results are interesting, especially the difference in terpenes between the two samples. I have only had led bud once that I know of , and it wasnt perfect looking. It as led as well as organic soil grown, the effect was stronger than I notice from hps and hydro grows. The taste was phenomenal, very clean sour grape flavor from the strain of the same name. I forget, which LED system was this grower using in this comparison?

He used the AT600 shown here http://www.apachetechinc.com/10-white-red which uses a 3:2 color ratio of white/red if I remember correctly. You could use one of their smaller AT120 or AT200's to get similar results if you needed a light with a smaller footprint.

canadaseed

canadaseed

The grower finally got the test results back from his LED vs. HPS grow. Here are his results:

View attachment 428437

"HEAD TO HEAD...LED then HPS

CANNABINOIDS: Total: LED=27% HPS=25%

THCA: L=25%, H=22%
THCAC4: L=0.74%, H=0.74%
D9THC: L=1.7%, H=2.0%
D8THC: L=0.11%, H=0.095%
CBNA: L=0.091%, H=0.081%
CBDA: L=0.08%, H=0.067%
CBCA: L=0.047%, H=0.046%
CBGA: L=0.23%, H=0.13%
CBG: L=0.15%, H=0.13%

TERPENES:
Terpinolene: L=0.087, H=0.13
Linalool: L=0.089, H=0.088
Beta-Myrcene: L=0.63, H=0.51
Alpha Pinene: L=0.58,H=0.59
Limonene: L=0.098, H=ND

Notice how limonene isn't even detectable in the hps sample.
"

"Notice how limonene isn't even detectable in the hps sample" Seriously!!!! that's like one of the best terpenes... my personal fav actually lol. This testing you've done is amazing thanks for that very much. So is this eveidence that LED lighting is helping plants express their character more deeply? Seeing that delta9 and 8 are down is GOOD for me... i don't require those as th strains these days are already high in d9 and 8. I'm getting an LED light... any suggestions of good quality brands?

D

Dojoking

"Notice how limonene isn't even detectable in the hps sample" Seriously!!!! that's like one of the best terpenes... my personal fav actually lol. This testing you've done is amazing thanks for that very much. So is this eveidence that LED lighting is helping plants express their character more deeply? Seeing that delta9 and 8 are down is GOOD for me... i don't require those as th strains these days are already high in d9 and 8. I'm getting an LED light... any suggestions of good quality brands?

I definitely can't take credit for doing the testing or being involved at all. All I did was repost the info after discovering it on another grow forum (can't mention it bc of thcfarmer.com rules) because I thought it was interesting and valuable info but. Just last night I realized that the grower who did the testing is also on these forums in the LED section. Check out his thread here https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/full-apache-tech-garden-8x12-1900w.54713/page-6

As far as the evidence of LED lighting helping plant's express their character is concerned. To put it another way. I think the reason we are seeing more expression of terpenes is because of the full spectrum that the led is putting out with its white diodes. I believe any light source that puts out a full spectrum similar to the sun's own spectrum is capable of producing those type of lab results because that is what the plant has evolved to grow and produce those terpenes with. Which is why I am probably going to pick up a "Rocket Plasma" (for flowering) and a Gavita plasma (for vegetation) for myself considering their full sun like spectrum.

Concerning the led fixtures, all are not created equal in my opinion. Simply because there are so many companies creating inferior products and only a few led companies that are worthy of your money. The most important things to look for when purchasing a led fixture (or any light fixture for that matter) is the spectrum it puts out, quality parts, and whether the company has a good reputation and stands behind their product. Pretty much all the good led companies I have seen are starting to use white diodes along with red or blue depending on whether it is for flowering or vegetative use. Some are just using all white diodes for flowering (2700k or 3000k) and white diodes (6500k, 5600k, etc.) for vegetation as well.

For LED suggestions, definitely check out the LED section here on the forums. Maybe even post there asking for suggestions here https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/forums/l-e-d-grow-lights.137/

These are a little more expensive considering that led is a fairly new technology but. The 1st led companies that come to mind for me are Apache Tech (which is what the guy used in the video) http://www.apachetechinc.com/ and I have heard lots of good things about Are51 as well http://a51led.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65 They use mostly Cree leds and allow you to send it back to be upgraded with the latest tech. I like BML horticulture's Spydr fixture also because of its versatility. I don't like the spectrum shown in that link though. The cool thing about BML horticulture is that you can design your own spectrum here and have them custom build you a Spydr fixure almost any length using the spectrum that you created. They also have a Spydr 1000 (around 500 watts) fixture coming out soon.

Last edited:
canadaseed

canadaseed

I definitely can't take credit for doing the testing or being involved at all. All I did was repost the info after discovering it on another grow forum (can't mention it bc of thcfarmer.com rules) because I thought it was interesting and valuable info but. Just last night I realized that the grower who did the testing is also on these forums in the LED section. Check out his thread here https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/full-apache-tech-garden-8x12-1900w.54713/page-6

As far as the evidence of LED lighting helping plant's express their character is concerned. To put it another way. I think the reason we are seeing more expression of terpenes is because of the full spectrum that the led is putting out with its white diodes. I believe any light source that puts out a full spectrum similar to the sun's own spectrum is capable of producing those type of lab results because that is what the plant has evolved to grow and produce those terpenes with. Which is why I am probably going to pick up a "Rocket Plasma" (for flowering) and a Gavita plasma (for vegetation) for myself considering their full sun like spectrum.

Concerning the led fixtures, all are not created equal in my opinion. Simply because there are so many companies creating inferior products and only a few led companies that are worthy of your money. The most important things to look for when purchasing a led fixture (or any light fixture for that matter) is the spectrum it puts out, quality parts, and whether the company has a good reputation and stands behind their product. Pretty much all the good led companies I have seen are starting to use white diodes along with red or blue depending on whether it is for flowering or vegetative use. Some are just using all white diodes for flowering (2700k or 3000k) and white diodes (6500k, 5600k, etc.) for vegetation as well.

For LED suggestions, definitely check out the LED section here on the forums. Maybe even post there asking for suggestions here https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/forums/l-e-d-grow-lights.137/

These are a little more expensive considering that led is a fairly new technology but. The 1st led companies that come to mind for me are Apache Tech (which is what the guy used in the video) http://www.apachetechinc.com/ and I have heard lots of good things about Are51 as well http://a51led.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65 They use mostly Cree leds and allow you to send it back to be upgraded with the latest tech. I like BML horticulture's Spydr fixture also because of its versatility. I don't like the spectrum shown in that link though. The cool thing about BML horticulture is that you can design your own spectrum here and have them custom build you a Spydr fixure almost any length using the spectrum that you created. They also have a Spydr 1000 (around 500 watts) fixture coming out soon.

cool man, thank u for the info some of those are a bit over my price range.. i am growing personal use and dont have the money to afford those units (yet) i will in the future instal LED's. I want my spectrums to be the most up to date scientfically proven to grow better weed. To me it's all about recreating nature in the indoor space as best as i can, so if that means LED light im gonna do that. I'll not the brands you linked for when i'm ready to shop for led. I appreciate you sharing the info of those test results! I am very interested in terpene profiles as well and cannibinoid profiles. If some strains can be tested and geared/tailored by using these test results in the breeding lab that's where we can see really revolutionary medicine hitting the market. I'll take a look at the forum you link. thanks again man!

D

Dojoking

cool man, thank u for the info some of those are a bit over my price range.. i am growing personal use and dont have the money to afford those units (yet) i will in the future instal LED's. I want my spectrums to be the most up to date scientfically proven to grow better weed. To me it's all about recreating nature in the indoor space as best as i can, so if that means LED light im gonna do that. I'll not the brands you linked for when i'm ready to shop for led. I appreciate you sharing the info of those test results! I am very interested in terpene profiles as well and cannibinoid profiles. If some strains can be tested and geared/tailored by using these test results in the breeding lab that's where we can see really revolutionary medicine hitting the market. I'll take a look at the forum you link. thanks again man!

If the price is a concern. You should definitely check out the new Ceramic Metal Halide setups that are around $500. They are putting out an excellent spectrum and more efficient than a typical HID system as well. I have seen a few grow threads with people getting great results.

Scroll down to the very bottom of this pdf for PAR and spectrum analysis from growershouse -

Entire setup with hood sold here - http://growershouse.com/lights/ceramic-mh-reflectors-lamps-bulbs-grow-lights

This place sells everything you basically need except for the hood so you might be able to put a system together cheaper - http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmmw.htm

dutch69lover

dutch69lover

Sunmaster full nova mh bulbs rock

SUNMASTER Full Nova Grow Lamps emit full spectrum light around 6000° Kelvin, imitating the natural look of daylight. The most full-rounded spectrum output lamp.

SUNMASTER Full Nova Metal Halide Lamps is the best in one lamp: the most objective measurement of total light energy available for photosynthesis. Optimized for use on electronic ballasts.

Available in 400 watt, 600 watt or 1,000 watt versions.

SUNMASTER Full Nova 6000K Lamps set new standards in general plant lighting, promoting high levels of photosynthesis without compromise.

FullNova-spect-chrt.png

Follow it up with SolisTek 10k bulb for last two weeks of flower
SolisTek Metal Halide (Pulse-Start) Digital Lamps 10K - "The Finisher"
SolisTek High Frequency MH offers:-Color Enhanced Full Balanced Spectrum
-Prolonged Lamp Life-Less Depreciation of PAR and Lumen Output over time.
-Precise Gas Combination for Increased Blues, Reds & UV
-As Reliable & Efficient as Core & Coil (magnetic) when paired with SolisTek Ballasts
-True High Frequency Technology

Expectations:

-Superior Photochemical Reactions
-Proper UV Balance
-Advanced HID Lamp Design
-Lamps made by Life Scientists for plants -Best Sunlight Replication
-Designed for Commercial Applications
-Made for Quality, Consistency & Yield

High Frequency, Pulse-start Digital Lamps

The 10K Metal Halide is used for the last 7 - 21 days of bloom to allow better ripening and finishing.

Available in 1000w & 600w
Used for vegetative growth and last 7 - 21 days of bloom (finishing).Featuring Low Iron (Low-E) glass for enhanced UVA and UVB penetration to your plants for higher quality and yield!
Our special low iron glass allows for more UV spectrums to get to your plants and flowers. Low iron glass is composed of purified materials free from contaminants that make the glass extra clear. Usually glass has a green tint to it, these are impurities possibly from recycled materials. It has been proven that Low-E glass allows more UV light to pass through.
Why digital lighting? The Sun is high frequency. In order to make artificial light behave more like natural Sunlight it needs to be high frequency. Digital lighting makes for a higher quality of light
that’s good for all living things...

This is only possible if you have the proper lamp and ballast combination.

STK Lamps contain UVA-UVB and the upper portion of UVC.
Exercise caution when working around any HID lamp that contains UV, always wear protective lenses.

10k.jpg

Specifications for Metal Halide:
1000W

Initial Lumens: 107,000
Color Temp: 10,000
CRI: 96
Hot Restart 10-15 min
ANSI Spec: M141/E
Product #: ST-MH1000-10K600W

Initial Lumens: 58,000
Color Temp: 10,000
CRI: 96
Hot Restart 10-15 min
ANSI Spec: S106/E
Product #: ST-MH600-10K
Don’t buy H.I.D. lamps and electronic ballasts that aren’t a matched set!

Buying mis-matched components creates hardware conflicts that cause pre-mature failures!

Coir

Coir

Hey check out lastolights.com. They showed me the spectrum of my hortilux light and fluorescent and basically sold me 20 lamps and ballasts which I'm super happy about which is why I'm being a good citizen and passing on the word!
5 posts and ALL of them say the same thing. Let me guess.... you work for this company that is selling a Philips CMH bulb as something new and original.

Top Bottom