Always the same issue

• Thread starter johnnyrex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DR.GT

DR.GT

try avoiding any direct add backs to system as that will lead to root issues as well.. your res is the engine and your system is the car. control your system through your res.. ph,nutes,water level..

DR.GT

DR.GT

i agree with the dump and shop vac out the most u can.. i do weekly change outs no matter what even if there hasnt ever been an issue..

F

FooDoo

u would be surprised there are a good amount of us still running them.. just cause they dont post anymore doesnt mean there not running the UC

Getto went coco, jack went coco , goggles went coco. Squirrel who knows.

try avoiding any direct add backs to system as that will lead to root issues as well.. your res is the engine and your system is the car. control your system through your res.. ph,nutes,water level..

Ive been adding right into epi for half a decade, never had an issue

i agree with the dump and shop vac out the most u can.. i do weekly change outs no matter what even if there hasnt ever been an issue..

I never do that. Dumping nutes every week is not a bad practice. Prob makes for healthier better plants. However I'm not going to dump thousands of gallons of water every run.

I go two or 3 weeks without dumping. When I do, I bring water level down as far as possible so pump runs dry. then top off with pure ro water. TDs is around 70-130 after that, then I re add my nutes right into epi to get TDs to a fresh 500-600 or so depending on what the girls want

Last edited:
N

NWElite89

I wish all those guys would be back on the UC. Those were some killer grows. I add my nutrients directly to the epi and have not had a problem as well. I also do add backs up until about week 6 of flowering and always change the water out every two weeks. Once the plant is the final of 2 weeks of growing I change my water out every week. My thought is that the root mass gets so big that there is less agitation in the water, which means more stagnant water activity and that could mean potential case for slime/root diseases. Always clean in between runs and you should have good success. I have made the mistake of not cleaning thoroughly and it cost me a grow with sub-par bud.

Last edited:
cephalopod

cephalopod

I can tell you right now it's your nutrient mix. I have had swings up and swings down because nutrient ratios are off. Either way ph swings your plants are either hungry or its to much if your ph drops they aren't drinking and If your ph rises they are drinking more but are hungry, it will get worse if not corrected. The BEST is when ph and tds don't move your water level drops. That is a perfect mix
Does it stand to reason that, since the swing is down, that the imbalance lies within a K-?
This is assuming that the plants are both eating and drinking and ph is swinging down.

Wavegem

Wavegem

Does it stand to reason that, since the swing is down, that the imbalance lies within a K-?
This is assuming that the plants are both eating and drinking and ph is swinging down.

Very possible as K is critical to nutrient uptake. most likely these people with the problems aren't measuring their nutrients correctly or have a poor water source. Something is off. Most due to overfeeding, then they say add more and problems get worse. Adding nutrients directly undiluted to your epi is not a good idea. I use a massive pump and will burn my plants if I don't dilute it.

J

JoeyBoomBots

Also, if there isn't enough surface agitation (NWElite89 mentioned this) you will definitely get pH free fall. I agree there now that I think about it. A small chance also is if you have a sealed room with CO2, coupled with low surface agitation , the CO2 will actually bring yourpH down because it dissolves much more easily in stagnant (and relatively warm) water.
You an do a key phrase search (oxygen saturated water effect on pH) and there is something from Longwood that supports this theory with what they found from researching natural streams. Heck, if you also have the variable of high ferts (the aforementioned paper explains this) that will couple together with other variables or that alone will make pH fall.

F

FooDoo

Adding nutrients directly undiluted to your epi is not a good idea.

Why. You do realize that by the time that nutrient solution has hit the first row of buckets, it had to travel thru 30 gallons of water, not to mention all the water recirculating from behind.

Heck, even if it wasn't, its being prediluted just by being put into the epicenter that has 6+ gallons sitting in it as is. Then the minimal water in the delivery manifold, plus the 6+ gallons in each bucket of the first row. In my double barrel, that's 4 buckets with ~6 gallons each .

Why dilute a solution before putting into a system that will dilute the solution before reaching the first plant, in an already diluted stew . seems hella repetitive

Wavegem

Wavegem

Why. You do realize that by the time that nutrient solution has hit the first row of buckets, it had to travel thru 30 gallons of water, not to mention all the water recirculating from behind.

Heck, even if it wasn't, its being prediluted just by being put into the epicenter that has 6+ gallons sitting in it as is. Then the minimal water in the delivery manifold, plus the 6+ gallons in each bucket of the first row. In my double barrel, that's 4 buckets with ~6 gallons each .

Why dilute a solution before putting into a system that will dilute the solution before reaching the first plant, in an already diluted stew . seems hella repetitive

I only say this because plants are extremely sensitive when more O2 is in the system. also ph up and down is what I am mainly referring too. increasing your water pump so your turnover rates are around 15 times an hour will drastically increase nutrient efficiency

N

NWElite89

Have to be careful when up-sizing your water pump as the roots flow more freely into the manifolds that could cause issues later. I realize that every now and then you may have to stick your hand down there and clear the path, but it just seems more maintenance and another worry.

DapperDon

DapperDon

When my ladies get hairy enough to start effecting my flow rates (I have pressure gauges after each module) I give them a haircut. Maintenance is mandatory in a high performance system. If you want to grow without putting in any work, then take every single piece of hydro equipment that you own and put it in your car. Take it down to the local landfill. Then throw it away. On the way home, stop at your local grow store and buy some dirt and some pots. Once you get home, rejoice at all of the maintenance that you will not longer be burdened with in your new and now very low yielding grow style. Think of all the time you will now have to make smelly, gnat infested teas and compost as you reminisce about the burdens of growing in hydro. /s

DR.GT

DR.GT

through years of experience i would say plants are definitely healthier when system is gradually adjusted.. Nutes or ph.. Yah you guys are right it works by just adding in epi but doesnt mean its best. Gradual adjustments are always recommended not abrupt changes. com on you really are'nt gonna argue that are you? And foodoo you are wrong.. When dumping nutes into epi that does not mean its mixing equal fast enough. You never want buckets to go through a surge of nute fluctuation if too concentrated it can cause sensitive root burn.. again it works but is not recommended. Many ways to skin a cat.. NWElite89 you talk about more maintenance on roots but you dont think adding nutes back daily or every few days is more maintenance? I literally touch my system once a week maybe once in the middle of the week to clean or prune thats it... Barrel does it all and adjustments are made slowly =healthier plants. You guys can now pick this apart as i have noticed foodoo likes to do. not looking for a pissing match like i said many ways to skin a cat. call any reputable hydro developer and they will tell you slow and steady wins the race...

DapperDon

DapperDon

Not to be a totally party pooper, but just how are you supposed to gradually add your nutes with a fresh system change? I will make it even easier, how would you suggest this gradual adjustment in between rez changeouts as I too enjoy the skinning of cats.

N

NWElite89

NWElite89 you talk about more maintenance on roots but you dont think adding nutes back daily or every few days is more maintenance?

Its a lot easier to dump nutrients in the epi-center than it is to reach into each module and pull back out the roots. I fill the system at the start of the week and might do 1-3 add backs in a two week period

F

FooDoo

And foodoo you are wrong.. When dumping nutes into epi that does not mean its mixing equal fast enough.

This doesn't even make sense.

cause sensitive root burn

Root burn eh? You must have discovered something brand new because I don't think it the history of growing has anyone ever gotten root burn.

Anyway, a good way to see how diluted your nutes get when adding thru the epi is to keep the sensors in the first row

IMG 20150223 183204256

First row will be most concentrated on an add back and having pH and TDs meters in that tub will show you the high end of what the girls are being hit with.

All dat root burn
IMG 20150223 184252924

I keep the bluelab outside on top of the epi and slowly pour my add backs one by one thru the porthole while watching the blue lab to make sure I'm not pouring too much too fast back in.

IMG 20150223 183230963

I'm actually about to do an addback right now because my pH is climbing on me

Edit: PS I do absolutely no root pruning. I feel a high water level keeps the roots from creating runners. They make more of an afro puff instead of long blonde locks.

Not to mention there's no way to get into here to prune anything
IMG 20150223 182309848

Last edited:
DapperDon

DapperDon

While you are at it, get to fixing that crack in the floor. What are you, some kind of hippie or something just growing weed wherever you feel like it? It's about standards!

Top Bottom