America, You just lost your 4th Amendment rights.

• Thread starter Cort
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cort

Cort

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court on Monday ruled against a Kentucky man who was arrested after police burst into his apartment without a search warrant because they smelled marijuana and feared he was trying to get rid of incriminating evidence.

Voting 8-1, the justices reversed a Kentucky Supreme Court ruling that threw out the evidence gathered when officers entered Hollis King's apartment.

The court said there was no violation of King's constitutional rights because the police acted reasonably. Only Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dissented.

Officers knocked on King's door in Lexington and thought they heard noises that indicated whoever was inside was trying to get rid of incriminating evidence.

Justice Samuel Alito said in his opinion for the court that people have no obligation to respond to the knock or, if they do open the door, allow the police to come in. In those cases, officers who wanted to gain entry would have to persuade a judge to issue a search warrant.

But Alito said, "Occupants who choose not to stand on their constitutional rights but instead elect to attempt to destroy evidence have only themselves to blame."

In her dissent, Ginsburg said her colleagues were giving police an easy way to routinely avoid getting warrants in drug cases.

"Police officers may now knock, listen, then break the door down, never mind that they had ample time to obtain a warrant," she said.

The end of the United States is one step closer

G

ganjherbsmoke

Good thing this is not entirely the case
Granted its decrim there but ma passed a law saying smell isn't probable cause for search in a vehicle anymore

But this is still really fucked

2DogWalker

OMW to the gun store, buy your ammunition people, hopefully you all ready have your cache of guns, if not buy em up before they are gone. Best of luck to everyone once the internet shuts down....

Thanks ginsburg for at least putting common sense out there....A United Police State :(

Sadly,
2DogWalker

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I think thats called probable cause

R

RMCG

Good thing this is not entirely the case
Granted its decrim there but ma passed a law saying smell isn't probable cause for search in a vehicle anymore

But this is still really fucked

Only because its ~sorta~ med and an officer cannot discern the amount.

K

kripplecreek

so...

That is totally screwed up but ive got a serious question on this issue since you brought it up...

Ok...IF this happened at my place for whatever reason (they can search all they want im legit) but IF they just broke down the door ive got a 160lb or something (things massive) dog...what happens if it rips the shit out of the mofos that just burst in because thats what its here for to keep people AWAY

:worried

R

RMCG

I think thats called probable cause

Yes and no. They smelled burnt pot in an apartment building hallway with 2 doors. Do they get to bust down both doors?

Moral of the story: DON'T ANSWER YOUR DOOR.

Officers knocked on King's door in Lexington and thought they heard noises that indicated whoever was inside was trying to get rid of incriminating evidence.
Justice Samuel Alito said in his opinion for the court that people have no obligation to respond to the knock or, if they do open the door, allow the police to come in. In those cases, officers who wanted to gain entry would have to persuade a judge to issue a search warrant.
But Alito said, "Occupants who choose not to stand on their constitutional rights but instead elect to attempt to destroy evidence have only themselves to blame."
In her dissent, Ginsburg said her colleagues were giving police an easy way to routinely avoid getting warrants in drug cases.
"Police officers may now knock, listen, then break the door down, never mind that they had ample time to obtain a warrant," she said.
The case concerned exceptions to the Fourth Amendment requirement that police need a warrant to enter a home.
The issue was whether warrantless entry was justified after the officers' knock on the door triggered a reaction inside that sounded like the destruction of evidence.
An odd set of facts led to Monday's ruling.
Police were only at King's apartment building because they were chasing a man who sold cocaine to a police informant. The man entered King's building and ducked into an apartment. The officers heard a door slam in a hallway, but by the time they were able to look down it, they saw only two closed doors.
They didn't know which one the suspect had gone through, but, smelling burnt pot, chose the apartment on the left.
In fact, the suspect had gone into the apartment on the right. Police eventually arrested him, too, but prosecutors later dropped charges against him for reasons that were not explained in court papers.

K

kripplecreek

I just read that post! THEY LET A COCAINE PUSHER OUT!!! but DONT DO WEED?!?!?!?

R

RMCG

That is totally screwed up but ive got a serious question on this issue since you brought it up...

Ok...IF this happened at my place for whatever reason (they can search all they want im legit) but IF they just broke down the door ive got a 160lb or something (things massive) dog...what happens if it rips the shit out of the mofos that just burst in because thats what its here for to keep people AWAY

Unfortunately, Your dog will probably be shot.

K

kripplecreek

Never going to give them reason to ever stop by. That poor guy got nailed because a cracky ran by his place...wow..wtf is going on....its....a plant...ive never seen anyone shake down a tomato and corn stand on the sidewalks near here...

Ive not once..not ONCE EVER In my ENTIRE time of smoking seen ANYONE hurt ANYONE while smoking cannabis. I have MANY times seen people hurt themselves and others on..alcohol...

Who knows if the guy was even trying to destroy stuff..maybe he was just smoking a huuuuuge fatty or had a ton of people smoking in there at once!

I like to take a huge room and seal it off when I have friends to smoke over here so it all stays in one area...so now im gonna have the noid on my shoulder sayin the cops might come to steal my pizza rofl because "they smell it burning"

well....most people do...burn it to smoke it? gahhhhh im just gonna rant and rant lol...done...:rain

R

RMCG

He rips a few from the bong, goes to drop a duece, flushes and his door comes crashing down because he was 'destroying evidence'...

R

RMCG

Bader's Dissent

EXACTLY what I posted here:

This is not anything new. "I smelled weed". Even if they don't find ANYTHING, you get your house tossed and ~anything~ found is then admissible vs them obtaining a warrant where they have to state WHAT they are looking to SEIZE.

In my younger days, I've had my car tossed on the side of the road on numerous occasions, only for them to come up empty handed (hehe). They are pissed and leave your shit strewn about for you to assemble and 'go on your way', usually with a 'get out of my town' farewell. You can scream 4th amendment all you want, but they LIE and say they smelled weed. You cannot deny them a search at that point as they CLAIM probable cause and that WILL stand up in court (because cops don't lie... :evilgrin0040:).

They know you will not follow up with a complaint when they don't find anything, so they continue to do it, its win/win for them.

The U.S. Supreme Court made a kinda important Fourth Amendment ruling this afternoon that may have effect on marijuana smokers and their protections against unreasonable searches and seizures. It's a tricky issue that concerns whether or not police need a warrant to enter a residence under the suspicion that evidence otherwise might be destroyed. It essentially helps define probable cause as noise and marijuana smoke as grounds for the police to enter a residence without a warrant. Via the Washington Post:
The court ruled 8 to 1 that Kentucky police who smelled marijuana at an apartment door, knocked loudly and announced themselves, and then kicked in the door when they thought the drugs were being destroyed did nothing wrong.

Sparknotes version of the ruling, via NORML: "When they smell it, they can knock on your door and then break it down, claiming they heard noises from within." There's fear that the interpretation allows cops probable cause to conduct a warrant-less search by claiming they smelled pot and heard noises, even if there's absolutely no substance present and random noises are just a figment of an officer's imagination. Read full reports and educate yourself at the Washington Post, Boston.com, Wired, and L.A. Times. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's strong dissent from the ruling is after the jump.

"The Court today arms the police with a way routinely to dishonor the Fourth Amendment’s warrant requirement in drug cases. In lieu of presenting their evidence to a neutral magistrate, police officers may now knock, listen, then break the door down, nevermind that they had ample time to obtain a warrant. I dissent from the Court’s reduction of the Fourth Amendment’s force. ...
“Wasting a clear opportunity to obtain a warrant,” therefore, “disentitles the officer from relying on subsequent exigent circumstances.” As that court observed, nothing made it impracticable for the police to post officers on the premises while proceeding to obtain a warrant authorizing their entry. ...
In Johnson, the Court confronted this scenario: standing outside a hotel room, the police smelled burning opium and heard “some shuffling or noise” coming from the room. Could the police enter the room without a warrant? The Court answered no. Explaining why, the Court said: “The right of officers to thrust themselves into a home is ... a grave concern, not only to the individual but to a society which chooses to dwell in reasonable security and freedom from surveillance. When the right of privacy must reasonably yield to the right of search is, as a rule, to be decided by a judicial officer, not a policeman ... “If the officers in this case were excused from the constitutional duty of presenting their evidence to a magistrate, it is difficult to think of [any] case in which [a warrant] should be required.”
I agree, and would not allow an expedient knock to override the warrant requirement. Instead, I would accord that core requirement of the Fourth Amendment full respect. When possible, “a warrant must generally be secured,” the Court acknowledges. There is every reason to conclude that securing a warrant was entirely feasible in this case, and no reason to contract the Fourth Amendment’s dominion."

B

Buddy Hemphill

Somebody is gonna get their head blown off behind this....I bet they dont try that shit in the deep south.

The gradual eroding of our freedom.....its scary aint it?

Its like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
probable cause...

just for the record I aint saying its right - just saying its nothing new

we kissed america goodbye when the Patriot Act was written/passed and re-passed every time the provisions expire

the telecoms helped the govt break the law and nobody even got so much as a smack on the hand

obama swore he'd filibuster any bill that granted the telecoms immunity - 16 months later when the bill came up and he was the democratic candidate for pres - he voted yes

and it goes on and on

R

RMCG

Somebody is gonna get their head blown off behind this....I bet they dont try that shit in the deep south.

The gradual eroding of our freedom.....its scary aint it?

Its like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.

Not exactly the 'deep south', but...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Motherlode, why shouldn't the telecommunications companies have immunity from prosecution by individuals when it wasn't them who put PATRIOT in place (or CALEA, if we wanna ride the "Wayback Machine")? Why should they be held responsible for what the government has put into place and essentially ordered them to do (on threat of losing subsidies)?

What I don't get is how someone who is supposed to have been a professor of Constitutional law could have ever voted in favor of PATRIOT. Ever.

K

kripplecreek

Im being educated in a cannabis forum and im enjoying it. You guys are posting some very good views. Going to keep reading. *melts back into the vapo smoke *

:cake:bongsmi:

K

kolah

Our senators and congressmen (aka cockroaches) are bought. They don't give a fuck about the constitution one bit. They pretend like they do but thats about it.

The "Money-Masters" pay these pawns nicely for their acts of treason. As long as we allow these private banksters to continue to print money out of thin air they will control it all. And if some new buck steps in and tries to change things they will buy him out too. If he refuses, they blow his head off (or crash his plane, stage a phoney suicide, etc).

D

darkcloudy

The list goes on and on for the wrongs that are being done in this country. They keep taking away more and more rights. And the worst part is they are poisoning us with our every day products? Has anyone googled what Sodium Flouride is? (Whats in EVERY major brand toothpaste). It is a commonly used rat/insect poison. There are lots of these situations with everyday products.

Top Bottom