an interesting study

• Thread starter budseyeveiw
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

budseyeveiw

here ive been reading some interesting studies. its kinda concerning how and why mj produces resin and mite help people understant the biology a bit better.
anyway heres a snip..

Insect predation
Wounding of the plant has been employed as a method to increase resin production (Emboden 1972). This increase may be a response to desiccation above the point of vascular disruption. Under natural circumstances, wounding most often occurs as a result of insect attack. This is a source of environmental stress which the production of terpenes and cannabinoids may be able to minimize. Cannabis is subject to few predators (Smith and Haney 1973, Stannard et al. 1970) and has even been utilized in powdered or extract form as an insecticide (Bouquet 1950) or repellent (Khare et al. 1974). Its apparent defensive mechanisms include a generous covering of non-glandular trichomes, emission of volatile terpenoid substances, and exudation of the sticky cannabinoids. Cannabis is often noted for its aromatic quality and many of the terpenes produced are known to possess insect-repellent properties. Among these are alpha and beta pinene, limonene, terpineol and borneol. Pinenes and limonene comprise over 75% of the volatiles detected in the surrounding atmosphere, but account for only 7% of the essential oil (Hood et al. 1973). Consistent with glandular trichome density and cannabinoid content, more of these terpenes are produced by the inflorescences than the leaves, and their occurrence is also greater in the female plant (Martin et al. 1961).

No insect toxicity studies using isolated cannabinoids have been published to date. Rothschild et al. (1977) found THC-rich Mexican (vs. CBD-rich Turkish) Cannabis fatal to tiger moth (Arctia caja) larvae, but not Nigerian grasshopper (Zonocerus elegans) nymphs. Rothschild and Fairbairn (1980) later found that pure THC (vs. CBD) sprayed on cabbage leaves, does repel the large white cabbage butterfly (Pieris brassicae).

the link for the full article is here..

phenotyper

phenotyper

Better than hurting the plant in any real way, you can use a variety of organic and chemical additives to induce a systemic acquired resistance in the plant, increasing plant health, stem thickness, cell wall thickness, frost/mold resistance. I've heard of tomato farmers using salicyclic acid to grow heirloom varieties because of the SAR.

I also occasionally see fungus gnats in my trichs while trimming : ) Talk about an awesome natural defense.

EDIT: I bet it's articles like these that got old hippies saying "SHOVE A NAIL IN HER!"

U

Udyana Peace

EDIT: I bet it's articles like these that got old hippies saying "SHOVE A NAIL IN HER!"

phenotyper

Well - this 'old hippie' has practiced the method known as 'girdling' - a technique that I learned form an old article in Sinsemilla Tips Magazine circa 1988. Some people modified this legitimate process to include using a nail driven through the stalk. I never went that far but stuck with the traditional girdling method.

According to the article this is used in Malawi for several reasons. It was/is used to create 'gold' versions of cannabis flowers which is about the only reason that is usually listed/given.

HTH

UP

M

mrbong73

I currently am engaged in hand to hand combat with spider mites in my flower box. Twice a day a pull them out and rub as many of those f'ers off as I can.
My only positive thought on this is that maybe, just maybe the mites are invoking a SAR response in the plants. It's a fine line though because they are winning at the moment.

mrb

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
odd for almost 30 years I been telling people that thc is a plants natural defense from bugs and deer

I guess maybe Im on to something

B

budseyeveiw

odd for almost 30 years I been telling people that thc is a plants natural defense from bugs and deer

I guess maybe Im on to something

im not an experienced grower but i do have a back ground in biology.

plants have these traits because evolution has favoured that characteristic.
ive always thought it was to retain water(resin).

but it makes sense to manipulate it to your advantage.

to a female plant, the buds full of seeds are the most precious part. birds eat seeds, deer as you say could eat it, insects or whatever.

even grass increases its toxins the more it is cut as a defence mechanism.

maybe just topping plant mite cause a difference who knows... just food for thought huh?

plus i thought the climate bit was interesting.

phenotyper

phenotyper

UP

That's interesting. Are they reacting to the stress by leaching the nitrogen from the buds? How exactly is that taking place. Oh and I hope I didn't ruffle your feathers, I just cannot imagine stabbing my babies :D.

G

Gartner

here ive been reading some interesting studies. its kinda concerning how and why mj produces resin and mite help people understant the biology a bit better.
anyway heres a snip..

Insect predation
Wounding of the plant has been employed as a method to increase resin production (Emboden 1972). This increase may be a response to desiccation above the point of vascular disruption. Under natural circumstances, wounding most often occurs as a result of insect attack. This is a source of environmental stress which the production of terpenes and cannabinoids may be able to minimize. Cannabis is subject to few predators (Smith and Haney 1973, Stannard et al. 1970) and has even been utilized in powdered or extract form as an insecticide (Bouquet 1950) or repellent (Khare et al. 1974). Its apparent defensive mechanisms include a generous covering of non-glandular trichomes, emission of volatile terpenoid substances, and exudation of the sticky cannabinoids. Cannabis is often noted for its aromatic quality and many of the terpenes produced are known to possess insect-repellent properties. Among these are alpha and beta pinene, limonene, terpineol and borneol. Pinenes and limonene comprise over 75% of the volatiles detected in the surrounding atmosphere, but account for only 7% of the essential oil (Hood et al. 1973). Consistent with glandular trichome density and cannabinoid content, more of these terpenes are produced by the inflorescences than the leaves, and their occurrence is also greater in the female plant (Martin et al. 1961).

No insect toxicity studies using isolated cannabinoids have been published to date. Rothschild et al. (1977) found THC-rich Mexican (vs. CBD-rich Turkish) Cannabis fatal to tiger moth (Arctia caja) larvae, but not Nigerian grasshopper (Zonocerus elegans) nymphs. Rothschild and Fairbairn (1980) later found that pure THC (vs. CBD) sprayed on cabbage leaves, does repel the large white cabbage butterfly (Pieris brassicae).

the link for the full article is here..

Yes your are true, good news, plants are living thing, they sense...

:harvest:

B

budseyeveiw

UP

That's interesting. Are they reacting to the stress by leaching the nitrogen from the buds? How exactly is that taking place. Oh and I hope I didn't ruffle your feathers, I just cannot imagine stabbing my babies :D.

im not sure.

i do think it would be cool to bring some aspects of growing into the more modern arena. we have the means to study these things now.
its strange to think that every bodys idea of top class nutrients producing top class bud mite not be as easy as that. could be a possibility that the more stress it deals with the more it will react (within reason..)

Top Bottom