Another Broad Mite Thread

• Thread starter mendo local
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mendo local

mendo local

Hello everyone- I did something really stupid. I trusted someones clone gift with the promise of a completely bug free plant. Fast forward a few months and I have broad mites in my flower and mother rooms. The plants are in 30 days flower but with everything I've read over the last week I've decided to chop and burn every plant on the property except my outdoor starts in a greenhouse. My question is on cleanup. ... I'm terrified of them getting on my outdoor plants so I need to kill them all inside. I'm also worried about dumping my soil outside... is this something to worry about? Please let me know if I'm doing the right thing as a little piece of mind would go a long way right now. So bummed. Also it is a big financial loss but could be bigger in the future, would predator mites keep the flower room under control so I could at least get this harvest? Again, #1 is keeping them contained and kill them all. Thanks in advance. Peace

mendo local

mendo local

Hi mendo, we've got a few threads on the broads and they've gotten pretty big. Have you managed to slog through any of those yet?
Yes I have. Lots of info on spraying plants but my stuff is 30 days in flower. Alright ,if this was you guys would you chop and burn everything now or try predator mites and try and pull a harvest. The main concern being mites transferring to my outdoor. I already killed my whole clone /mother room. Oh yah and what would you do with the dirt....

mendo local

mendo local

Unless your gh is like fort knocks I imagine your outdoor starts have them as well. Russets don't just live on canna they spread all over so keep that in mind
I've never had them before and my gh is full of seed starts a few days above ground so I should be good so far...

The Terps

The Terps

So you burn all your indoor plants so the mites just magically all just disappear? I assume you burn outside I also assume your gh is out side I imagine hundreds of mites are spread around your entire property the blow in the wind and latch on to flying insects so your neighbor probably has them and you can pretty much plan on playing russet mite ping pong all year. IMO

mendo local

mendo local

So you burn all your indoor plants so the mites just magically all just disappear? I assume you burn outside I also assume your gh is out side I imagine hundreds of mites are spread around your entire property the blow in the wind and latch on to flying insects so your neighbor probably has them and you can pretty much plan on playing russet mite ping pong all year. IMO
Look man I'm just trying to do the best I can with this situation and burning them in a bon fire is the best thing I can come up with so far.... do you have a better option?

mendo local

mendo local

Also I was under the assumption broads were different than russets....

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

have you confirmed their presence with a scope? Only real way to tell. Need at least 60x. Looked for eggs and crawlers on the newest growth and in the internodal crevices near the top. Day 30 of flower, have the pistils shriveled and turned black?

Confirm the presence of those sobs visually before you go chopping your flower room.

As for soil and detritus, bring it to the dump. Bleach, iso, and your favorite spinosad (seperate applications) to clean your spaces. A fogger really helps here. Don't wear clothes you wore in any infected rooms around clean plants. Shower and wash your hair before touching anything clean. Clean and sanitize your house.

mendo local

mendo local

Thanks guys! I have verified them with a scope.... they stayed on the affected plants so far that I can find. I already burned those ones. Now it's just do i keep flowering for another 35 days or burn the rest now, clean good and take my soil to the dump.

Dunge

Dunge

You asked, so I'd have you run them out.
And take pictures, and tell us what you are doing to help the girls fend off the mites.
My understanding of mite attacks is that they poison a plant to weaken defenses, then proceed to dominate.
So perhaps careful pruning of infection centers might help.

I'd like to see you rescue a harvest.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

If you run 'em to completion, get some predator mites if for no other reason than to keep em from spreading. Fallacis, Cucumeris, Swirskii, just make sure your rh and temps vibe wIth whatever species you choose. 2 kinds are better than one. Quick release em ins the flower room with solo cups. Hang sachets all over the outdoor ladies.

The Terps

The Terps

I've never known a Gardner to have any success with predators. Mites reproduce so much faster and preds only eat like 5-10 a day.
What you need to do is make a list of what's important to you. And focus solely on that cause fighting a war on two fronts and probably the neighborhood now is going to be the hardest battle of the season and it will go on all season.

I'm not trying to down you I've been there done that it sucks I'm just given my opinion . If out door starts were what was important to me I'd burn everything including starts rid the soil cover the place with suffer and diatamatios earth wait at least a month and start over from scratch. Then I would cover everything with suflfer and de again and again. And then I would pray...

But most importantly weigh your options cause you can do 3-4 good indoor and out harvest or you can hope to be one of the few who produces decent broad mite buds. Quarantine or not if air gets in if ppl get in if pets get in if everything goes your way your probably going to have them run rampant.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Terps is right, you won't hit 100% from predators. Ime they can help bring a moderately infested crop to an acceptable harvest (depending on genetics).

mendo local

mendo local

Alright guys I've made the decision to burn it all! I'm gonna wait a month to replant and in the mean time go crazy on my room cleaning, new paint ect...... Thank you all so much for the advice. Major bummer but it is what it is. No more clones even from friends ever

The Terps

The Terps

My condolences but I think it's the best bet in regards to a clean quality crop. Don't give up once replanted either if he gave them to you he probably gave them to others and chances are the gave it so on ext. so ya prevent them. Outdoor season is tuff nowadays. The one halfway decent thing about the county bans less bugs and diseases and virus spreading.

mendo local

mendo local

Man that sucked so bad. I've never felt anything like that.... so I chopped them and put them in contractors bags, dumped a gallon of gas in each and threw them on a huge burn pile. Nothing lived... I'm lucky the fire dept. Didn't show. Then I burned my clothes. Next while still naked ran around with 60 lbs of diotomaceous earth spreading it everywhere around the burn pile. Next my grow room got a quarter inch of diatomaceous earth covering everything and sealed up.....
That was shock an awe... now its time to get intricate.

Top Bottom