Another kick at the can.

• Thread starter airedog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
airedog

airedog

Supporter
A few years back i had a really bad year, rippers hit my outdoor, coming through my suburban next door neighbour's yard to get to mine; and, i used questionable clones from a source that i trusted and got a wicked case of PM. On the indoor, my wife was watching the grow while i healed from some knee surgery so the PM was well beyond the point of no return when i saw it. Tossed the UC system and retired the chiller (i'll see if i can replace the coil and any internal tubing/piping). I eventually disinfected the basement even going so far as to toss compromised framing, drywall and insulation.

Earlier this year i had a contractor buddy start rehabbing the basement space. I have a roughly 17 * 10 area with a tad over 7' of headroom. I have 8 duplex boxes in the space, each on its' own breaker as well as a dedicated 240V cct that runs a 4 outlet timer. There's a spare 240V cct that can be used for a mini-split should i choose to go that way. The space has been built as a sealed environment with boots around the electrical boxes and taped and sealed vapour barrier behind the bathroom/kitchen drywall walls and ceiling. Drywall has been sealed with Kilz Premium and covered with Panda plastic; there is also DuroFoam should i choose to cut the space down a bit. I'll use a UC4XXL13 RDWC system lit with (4) 640W adjustable spectrum LEDs; i need to lengthen and widen the bucket footprint by 1' in length and width in order to fit the LEDs array needs. I can run the room as a vented space and will do so until i'm comfortable with the new UC and lights, there is also a fuzzy logic CO2 and tanks ready to add-in when i go sealed.

Another kick at the can 7

Start 2

Another kick at the can 5

Supplies

Seeds were started week of Dec 14; and went in rooting bubblers on the 31st.

Cherry noir day 4 web

Another kick at the can

Bubbler 1

Bubbler 2

LEDs will be hung this week and I'll use a wort chiller coil to isolate my 1/3 hp chiller from the nutes to avoid contaminating the chiller should i have pathogen issues. I have oil filled heaters, domestic humidifiers and dehumidifiers that will run on humidity or temperature controllers and will monitor the solution strength and pH with a Blue Lab Guardian. Seedlings are 3 weeks old an in rooting bubblers currently but will hopefully go in the UC the week of Jan 11.

Gotta admit after having that horrible year in 2016/17 i was ready to change my name to O'Toole, fearing that Murphy was the eternal optimist. I'm amazed at how much has changed in the 3 years i've been dormant as there hadn't seemed to be huge changes from 2002 - 2016 (other than digital ballasts and DE fixtures). LEDs that you can flower well with as well as VPD and other concerns i'd blissfully been unaware of make me very grateful for the resources and knowledgeable people available here and at similar forums.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Oh man... I'm in on this one. Gonna build a UC for the next round (not buying from CC direct, can build for 1/2 the price). This is gonna be exciting to watch.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Are you using the Coco version of Advanced in RDWC? Noticed the bottles on the shelf, was just curious.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Yeah, hoping it will makeup the calcium loss from my RO unit.
Looks good. Went all in on advanced nutrients.
even a flexzilla hose. The good stuff. 🔥👍

Mr.G

That's a bit of AN.

Here's some of what i used in that 2016 outdoor run; the bennies and some of the bloom boosters aren't in the shot and there were a few more bottles of BFX as they didn't have the 5 gallon jugs in stock when i picked up this part of my order. AN has worked well for me in the past. I wish that they still offered that med grower discount from way back when though. Anyone else remember the old Piranha promo ball caps?

AN outdoor

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Liking the room.

It seems that in the past 4 years everyone here has moved to led's in tents.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Y
Yeah, hoping it will makeup the calcium loss from my RO unit.

That's a bit of AN.

Here's some of what i used in that 2016 outdoor run; the bennies and some of the bloom boosters aren't in the shot and there were a few more bottles of BFX as they didn't have the 5 gallon jugs in stock when i picked up this part of my order. AN has worked well for me in the past. I wish that they still offered that med grower discount from way back when though. Anyone else remember the old Piranha promo ball caps?

View attachment 1074773
[/QUOTEtop shelf nutes. No doubt. Work great. Gotta add that voodoo juice. And bud blood. Or bud igniter. 🔥🔥

Mr.G

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Liking the room.

It seems that in the past 4 years everyone here has moved to led's in tents.
Yup. Me too. Saved more electricity than switching to geiko. 👍
in @smokedareefer defence, I took ~5 year hiatus from growing. life happened for a minute. LED got affordable to a point I didn't have to mod storeside light fixtures to remote ballasts to hit targets anymore. regardless, geico level heat savings are abound.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Something is going on with one of my seedlings, now at Day 24. So far, only one is showing signs of an issue in Tote A, Tote B has the runt but otherwise all seems to look good there. Totes started out with the same nutrient solution, later today i'll setup and take EC, pH and Temp measurements in each tote, sterilising my probes in between.

Nute/pH issue or mosaic virus is my concern. Camera shows some darkening on roots, to my eye they look a nice uniform cream color.

Here's my problem plant, Leaves and Roots (largest in that tote).

Leaves
Roots

Tote A

Tote A

Tote B

Tote B

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Something is going on with one of my seedlings, now at Day 24. So far, only one is showing signs of an issue in Tote A, Tote B has the runt but otherwise all seems to look good there. Totes started out with the same nutrient solution, later today i'll setup and take EC, pH and Temp measurements in each tote, sterilising my probes in between.

Nute/pH issue or mosaic virus is my concern. Camera shows some darkening on roots, to my eye they look a nice uniform cream color.

Here's my problem plant, Leaves and Roots (largest in that tote).

View attachment 1076038View attachment 1076039

Tote A

View attachment 1076040

Tote B

View attachment 1076041
Start of a mag deficiency. Also those lower leaves are gonna be in a high humidity area so airflow there will help. Doesn't need to be direct or strong just a light breeze to carry the humidity away from the hydroton. Can even just pluck those big bottom ones now as it will benefit airflow and they are gonna come off anyways.

Light looks good... maybe a touch high bit id leave it.

I would be about 300-400ppm and ph around 5.6-5.7 about now for a starting point.

Whats the source water and nutrients?

Its not uncommon to see a mag deficiency under LED so adding 1 gram per gal of epsom salt (mag sulfate) usually does the trick.

Looks like humidity may also need some tweaking. If you lower the light intensity a touch it may hp but I dont think you need to. Thwy look pretty healthy so I'd keep pushing em and see if the other changes help out. If it gets worse lower the light intensity until its sorted.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Clonex nutes; AN B52; Roots Excelurator in pH'd RO water. I'll drop the pH some more on next top-up. Mammoth propagation tent has a big Monkey Fan blowing between totes and one more outside blowing through side window. There's also a Hiblow 100 LL blasting air through 2 * 8" diameter air diffusers in each tote.

I can add in some AN CalMag, or, go to AN Conny CoCo formulation Grow A/B and do a complete switch out. I'm hoping to be in UC by this time next week though as chiller should be here on Monday and i've ordered those reducing tees from 2 sources; the standard tees and pipe can be bought almost anywhere and i have the Spin Tight bulkheads, and EZ Clean fittings can be scavenged off old manifolds.

Now that they're out of the dome lighting is 4 T5s.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Clonex nutes; AN B52; Roots Excelurator in pH'd RO water. I'll drop the pH some more on next top-up. Mammoth propagation tent has a big Monkey Fan blowing between totes and one more outside blowing through side window. There's also a Hiblow 100 LL blasting air through 2 * 8" diameter air diffusers in each tote.

I can add in some AN CalMag, or, go to AN Conny CoCo formulation Grow A/B and do a complete switch out. I'm hoping to be in UC by this time next week though as chiller should be here on Monday and i've ordered those reducing tees from 2 sources; the standard tees and pipe can be bought almost anywhere and i have the Spin Tight bulkheads, and EZ Clean fittings can be scavenged off old manifolds.

Now that they're out of the dome lighting is 4 T5s.
Ok what ppm are they at? That may be part of the issue... Definitely need the a and b

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ph swing in RO may be an issue so test 24 hrs after adjusting and ideally 0.2 increase is good 0.3 acceptable bit much more you will want to adjust the alkalinity if the water... whats your PH down?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also no direct airflow on the plants right? Only oscillating fans should ever blow against the plants. Constant direct airflow will usually cause wind burn.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Drained both totes with a siphon. Why is it if i forget a hose or don't put a check valve on an air line they siphon like mofo's, but try to get one going in 3/8 vinyl line, NOOOOO?

Started with RO water at 7.9 pH (65F) and no discernible solution strength. Did the Conny Coco Grow A/B with B52 and Roots Excelurator; now at 350 ppm (700 scale) and 5.7 pH (65F); so i'll check later to see how much they drift with temp change. Hopefully this will do the trick and all i'll have to do is adjust and top-up until the UC is ready.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Drained both totes with a siphon. Why is it if i forget a hose or don't put a check valve on an air line they siphon like mofo's, but try to get one going in 3/8 vinyl line, NOOOOO?

Started with RO water at 7.9 pH (65F) and no discernible solution strength. Did the Conny Coco Grow A/B with B52 and Roots Excelurator; now at 350 ppm (700 scale) and 5.7 pH (65F); so i'll check later to see how much they drift with temp change. Hopefully this will do the trick and all i'll have to do is adjust and top-up until the UC is ready.
I would up the feed if on 700 scale. 450-550ppm.

Move the airpump above the waterline.

Top Bottom