Another Newbie...to This Site

• Thread starter Magellan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Magellan

Magellan

Hello All - middle aged guy in the SF east bay here. So here's my story:

Grew some lovely plants back in the 80's at college. Haven't grown since then but love gardening. Have numerous tropicals in my yard, bananas, pineapples, guava, plumaria and sugar cane - even got them to bear fruit.

So this past December, was standing in the parking lot of local Lazy Dog restaurant and noticed a "weed" plant growing in some bark. It was so young that it still had its dicots and only the first set of leaves. I dug it up and brought it home. Put it under some T8 florescent tubes (16 on, 8 off), transplanted and fed/watered as needed.

It has done well and based upon the shaped of the leaves, I believe it is an indica. Also is has shown small preflowers with pistals so it's a female (yay). I've included a pic of it and named it Lazy Dog for now.

So my question is: Is there any way to determine the strain?

Lazy dogjpg
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Probably gonna be difficult to determine strain, unless you know where your seed(?) came from, and once it starts growing some buds it may be slightly easier, but you probably won't find it very easy.
HAhaha my bad... totally misread his original post(writing a paper while dinkin on the farm)... i thought he was asking for sex... yes totally indica but really hard to say anything more till you have a terp profile and formed buds

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

I'm sorry, I didn't really didn't read anything but the title. My bad. It would be damn near impossible to figure out exactly what it is. I hope she comes out frosty or stankin for you though, Good story!

Magellan

Magellan

Seamaiden...good point. Actually something happened a few weeks ago that forced that hand.

The pic I previously posted was taken over a month ago. During that time, I had been reading up on clones and cloning. I knew that this plant could be a "one of kind" - not really, but if it turns out to be a good strain, why not keep it going? I was also toying with the idea of topping the plant so it wouldn't be a Christmas tree.

Anyhow, I was adjusting my 4' long double bulb T8 that was hanging over the plant when I lost my grip and it crashed onto it, breaking the top 6" off and one of the lower branches. I quickly put the broken pieces in a glass of water to preserve the open wounds, then set about to try my hand at cloning. I had some cloning powder on hand and dipped broken ends into it and then set them back into the water. The next day I visited my local hydro store and bought some rockwool cubes. They also gave me some root accelerator.

I wetted the rockwool, cut fresh ends, redipped them into the rooting hormone and pushed the main stem and branch into separate cubes. I also trimmed some large fan leaves off and the tried rooting them as well (what the hell, I thought it's just for fun...nothing to lose). I created a makeshift green house out of a clear zippered bag that my wife had recently purchased a bedspread in.

A few weeks later, the mom is doing great and clones have roots and have been potted. Two of the four fan leaves are showing roots as well. (see the pics)

Also, once I got back into growing, I went online and got my 215. I then went to a local collective and bought 5 more clones - one each of Sour Diesel, GPD, GirlScoutCookies, SFV OG and Romulan Grapefruit. I also bought a 300w LED and have temporarily converted the bathroom of my travel trailer into a grow room (see pic).

So I now have 8 plants growing. :) (not sure why some of the pics are rotated - they aren't that way on my pc)

Lazy Dog Topped

Lazy Dog Clones

The Gang

Rooted Fans

Magellan

Magellan

Update - So I flipped Lazy Dog a week ago and did some larfing yesterday. Cut two, small lower branches off (will try to clone them). Also cut off about 20 fan leaves. Most of them were lower on the plant or on the interior. She looks to be popping - if that is the right term for when the flipping growth really kicks in. Prob need to raise up my LED. Hope this plant turns out to be something special.

I have 5 other species/clones (GPD, Girl Scout Cookies, SFV OG, Sour Diesel, Romulan Grapefruit) and Lazy looks nothing like any of them. The closest one is GSC.

Will post picks as Lazy as she gets frosty.

Magellan

Magellan

Update - here are some pics of Lazy Dog. I don't think that I larfed enough. Please comment and give me your thoughts and advice about that.
20160415 174216

20160415 174205

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Larf means lightweight crappy bud to me, so I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you're larfing. If you mean lollipopping then I would say dig in there deep, to the inner reaches of the canopy and start pinching out those bud sites, keep them pinched out as she grows.

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Hello All - middle aged guy in the SF east bay here. So here's my story:

Grew some lovely plants back in the 80's at college. Haven't grown since then but love gardening. Have numerous tropicals in my yard, bananas, pineapples, guava, plumaria and sugar cane - even got them to bear fruit.

So this past December, was standing in the parking lot of local Lazy Dog restaurant and noticed a "weed" plant growing in some bark. It was so young that it still had its dicots and only the first set of leaves. I dug it up and brought it home. Put it under some T8 florescent tubes (16 on, 8 off), transplanted and fed/watered as needed.

It has done well and based upon the shaped of the leaves, I believe it is an indica. Also is has shown small preflowers with pistals so it's a female (yay). I've included a pic of it and named it Lazy Dog for now.

So my question is: Is there any way to determine the strain?
That's bad ass.. Like it was ment to happen that way

Magellan

Magellan

Seamaiden - I removed some of the lower growth and thinned out the insides - even though it doesn't look like it. This was suggested by others in this thread. They said to "larf the plant" "shave her legs" "remove the lower third". By the way, I asked about larfing at my local hydro/grow store. The owner had never heard of the term and when I explained it, he said to not remove any growth, that all those leaves provide energy for the buds (haha too late). I have probably removed at least 25 fan leaves.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

The hydro store guy has obviously never grown cannabis, doesnt know what he is talking about, or was just being a jerk.

Think of your stems as a freeway and your leaves, small side stems, and bud sites as the side streets with the water and nutrients being the traffic trying to reach its destination. With more side streets, less of the traffic reaches the top buds. i.e. some of the nutrients and water are used up b4 reaching the top bud sites that get the most light and need the most food.

Some strains need a certain amount of fan leaves per bud site to thrive but as long as you dont go edward scissor hands on the top fan and sugar leaves you can cut as much of the bottom larf that doesnt get good light as you want. Side lighting can make the larf into better buds.

Top Bottom