Any advantage of letting plant dry up in medium upright until correct dryness before going into cure?

• Thread starter Habosabin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yes I covered mine for a stretch of rain and a few times for frost. I used a scrog to keep shit even and lower. I bought a leaf blower and dried my girls every morning. I'll link my diary if you're interested, some of my antics are probably entertaining, and I always fuck a few things up lol. I actually had no mold pop up on my garden gals for the first time ever... my second slightly neglected location didn't fare as well and was chopped a bit early. My last lady made it till late October, which is rare. Gotta work for it here in the Northeast.
Some pics of my testers, no special seeds, average Strawberry Widow from a friend, and I let a good male Indica dom pollinate them so I could have more seeds to work with...

20221016 113835
20221016 114145
20221020 123610
20221101 142734
20221101 142756
20221116 154017
20221120 183821
20221203 151314
Fromunda506

Fromunda506

So I use “ordinary” drying and curing techniques. Upside down chopped with all leaves attached (my space is a little dry and it helps slow them down). However, in 2020 when I had flu, I ended up doing exactly what you are suggesting with a mephisto mango smile auto that I could not harvest when it needed it. It sat in the dark in coco for 9 days. Probably dried after 2 and dead by day 3-4. When I was able to get back to it, it was pretty much perfectly dried. Trimmed, jarred and cured it. It was indistinguishable from its sister plant that actually got harvested and dried properly. Haven’t done it again on purpose, but it worked fine in a pinch. Beat the hell out of losing a qp of great buds.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
You'll notice the difference when you trim. If you wet trim.
I do a combination......wet, dry, in stages. Trimming seems like it will always need to be a time consuming process, if we want to do it right, preserve as many trichomes intact, protect the flowers as much as possible, have the buds look as nice as possible, as few leaves left as possible.....

One thing though through all of these fun, if not super productive conversations......we should never declare that where we are today, what we know, how we do things, is the best we can do.........that there's nothing new, no new ways, methods, things to learn and try. Even if we're in the middle innings of a home growing revolution......who knows what the next 20, 30 years will bring us.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yes I covered mine for a stretch of rain and a few times for frost. I used a scrog to keep shit even and lower. I bought a leaf blower and dried my girls every morning. I'll link my diary if you're interested, some of my antics are probably entertaining, and I always fuck a few things up lol. I actually had no mold pop up on my garden gals for the first time ever... my second slightly neglected location didn't fare as well and was chopped a bit early. My last lady made it till late October, which is rare. Gotta work for it here in the Northeast.
And yes, I forgot to mention a leaf blower, absolutely......like a hair dryer for plants. It has to be helpful after rains, during humid stretches, with no breeze......

TSD

TSD

And yes, I forgot to mention a leaf blower, absolutely......like a hair dryer for plants. It has to be helpful after rains, during humid stretches, with no breeze......
They're usually soaked most mornings from dew... the blower has been a game changer for keeping botrytis at bay. I had some dense nugs this year and didn't have any in my garden where I used it almost every morning.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
They're usually soaked most mornings from dew... the blower has been a game changer for keeping botrytis at bay. I had some dense nugs this year and didn't have any in my garden where I used it almost every morning.
Yep, especially if it dipped below freezing, as it warms above 32 at dawn it gets wet.

Ponky

Ponky

You start out trimming smalls. Preserving all the material. You end up shoveling kief into the garbage from under the trimming machine and throwing away the small buds. If the weed isn't awesome you don't even trim it. You just toss it. You get the perfect green only madness. And you've smelled so many bags of weed you have sinus issues.
I'm too high. The moral is some guys like a chewy and slow burning joint that drips juicy resin. And some like a nice light cigarette type joint that burns dry and firm. With no residue. White ash. Eventually you get locked into a regional flavor. You want chewy you have steps to add.

TSD

TSD

@Ponky I don't think I've ever heard a joint described as chewy lol.

Ponky

Ponky

@Ponky I don't think I've ever heard a joint described as chewy lol.
Not the joints. The half pound bags. So when you vaccum seal them they don't turn to powder. And have a nose when you get them to the other end. The kind of nugs that make your fingers super sticky and it sticks to the rollie as you try and roll it. Instead of the hard tight cure.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
You start out trimming smalls. Preserving all the material. You end up shoveling kief into the garbage from under the trimming machine and throwing away the small buds. If the weed isn't awesome you don't even trim it. You just toss it. You get the perfect green only madness. And you've smelled so many bags of weed you have sinus issues.
I'm too high. The moral is some guys like a chewy and slow burning joint that drips juicy resin. And some like a nice light cigarette type joint that burns dry and firm. With no residue. White ash. Eventually you get locked into a regional flavor. You want chewy you have steps to add.
Well, at least give it away, make some sort of extract, edibles. Leaves other than the smallest most sugary sugars get turned into mulch.

Ponky

Ponky

Well, at least give it away, make some sort of extract, edibles. Leaves other than the smallest most sugary sugars get turned into mulch.
These are times when there is just so much weed and nothing to do with it all. Everyone only wants bags of tops. And even extract guys don't want it. Sometimes there's just so much weed and your only dabbing at the time. Sometimes we have to pay people to come and smoke weed to tell us whats good and whats gross.

Habosabin

Habosabin

I mean......you probably would have cannabis flavored rice. If that's what you like, sure. The rice would definitely get moist if you packed fresh cut buds in it. You'd have to monitor that.....other problems could arise.... ;). It could make for a unique dry/cure provided you got it right.
I wouldn't want to get "starch" lung. :)

K

KenKenaf

I think a slow death would probably be more detrimental than anything. I wouldn't let my veggies wither and die on the vine before picking and I wouldn't do that to my buds either. Chop em and get them drying, you want to minimize opportunity for mold and fungus to grow.

Vine ripening now a myth amongst weed bros? The cannabis scene gets weirder and weirder every year.

And why would mold be worse for vine ripened? You're gonna chuck that shit in a dark closet and get mold on day 3 of hanging, then jar the shit wet and keep it wet in a nasty smelling jar anyway, if you're the average pot grower. (Dare you to swab the inside of your wet dark 'cure' jars)

K

KenKenaf

i was told when i was just a wee lil lad by an old stoner from the 70's that the you should hang them upside down with the roots attached
i have yet to try it tho

If you harvest wet plants this is correct. Before you let any thcfauxmers convince you to laugh at my post, you should look into how plants work. Gravity is a major player. Especially with leaky cell walls. Not that anyone here is Calcium deficient, with all the fucking calmag posts.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
If you harvest wet plants this is correct. Before you let any thcfauxmers convince you to laugh at my post, you should look into how plants work. Gravity is a major player. Especially with leaky cell walls. Not that anyone here is Calcium deficient, with all the fucking calmag posts.
Something tells me I'll do just fine if i never use one bit of calmag..... ;)

Top Bottom