Any Brewer's Here??

• Thread starter GR33NL3AF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

Cool. I'd like some info as well. I have just decided to start brewing my own beer after finding out that most of the beers I drink are laced with stuff I choose not to consume. I have made wine in the past and already have two large glass carboys and an air trap. I looked into starter kits and they run about 150-300 bucks (pricey IMO). I think it'll be cheaper for me to buy the rest of the equipment separately. (btw I got both Carboys for 5 bucks each on CL)

I have recently looked at many of the recipes that are available which run about 25-30 bucks (not bad at all) and make 5 gallons of brewski. And a few sites offer organic hops, barley, yeast, etc.

I also read where you can use wine yeast to really boost the alcohol content up, if you so chose. Making a 15-20 proof beer batch would be fun.

heres the organic site I like (it has basic info and everything you need):

K

kolah

Much like you though, I'd like to hear from folks who have already mastered it. When I made wine I made a few mistakes until I got it right. It looks as though the hardest part is cleanliness and watching specific gravity levels. But hell if ya can grow weed ya can make beer. Also making sure you have active yeast is important too. (I got some inactive yeast and wasted a shitload of organic grapes)

For 95 bucks you get all the gear AND your choice of an organic mix as well. Not too shabby, IMO.

soserthc1

soserthc1

Cool. I'd like some info as well. I have just decided to start brewing my own beer after finding out that most of the beers I drink are laced with stuff I choose not to consume. I have made wine in the past and already have two large glass carboys and an air trap. I looked into starter kits and they run about 150-300 bucks (pricey IMO). I think it'll be cheaper for me to buy the rest of the equipment separately. (btw I got both Carboys for 5 bucks each on CL)

I have recently looked at many of the recipes that are available which run about 25-30 bucks (not bad at all) and make 5 gallons of brewski. And a few sites offer organic hops, barley, yeast, etc.

I also read where you can use wine yeast to really boost the alcohol content up, if you so chose. Making a 15-20 proof beer batch would be fun.

heres the organic site I like (it has basic info and everything you need):

15 to 20 % beer sounds like a good idea - damn that is 4 beers per 1 drink - will save me alot of peeing for sure .... seems i tend to actually pee more than i drink for some reason if that is possible ..... I know lots of you are saying me to but its so bad with me that i can't enjoy a game or a concert as i'm at the bathroom every 2 mins or maybe it cause i'm becoming a old man with poor bladder

urbanfog

urbanfog

started a few years ago with a xmas gift "MR.Beer kit" now I have three. Easy to follow recipes, not bad on price, especially ebay. Gives you the basics, and I made some kick ass winter brew that 2 would kick you in the butt LOL. I also like their root beer mix very tasty. I have been considering making some mead :D

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

I've been making wine for seven years...rum for six ;) I was just at the local u-brew store today. I've read so much, and fermented so much, but I still learned a tonne in a quick visit. Get a book on brewing. I have "The complete handbook of home brewing" by Dave Miller.

Beer is trickier than wine. Start with the best ingredients possible - whatever tastes good to you. You may prefer two row barley malt to six row, wheat or rye, light or dark. There are a thousand varieties of hops. Even the yeast affects flavour. The possibilities endless.

How much effort do you want to put into it? You can start with malt extracts. Or you can go whole hog and make a partial mash using grains. Or you can even just go to a u-brew store and they can clone your favourite beer. The guy was telling me about one of his customers who added oak to a brown ale...and it tasted like jack daniel's.

How much do you want to invest? The novelty of cleaning everything, and bottling, wears off VERY quickly. It's really nice to have someone with the right equipment and facilities - especially boiling the wort.

magnotta festabrew is wort that you just ferment and bottle. I've tried a couple beer-in-a-can kits and wasn't impressed. My brew store's all-extract beer is $100 for six 24 cases of beer - plus reusable bottles, caps. All you do is pitch the yeast, and come back two weeks later to bottle it and take it home. hth

Cort

Cort

15 to 20 % beer sounds like a good idea - damn that is 4 beers per 1 drink - will save me alot of peeing for sure .... seems i tend to actually pee more than i drink for some reason if that is possible ..... I know lots of you are saying me to but its so bad with me that i can't enjoy a game or a concert as i'm at the bathroom every 2 mins or maybe it cause i'm becoming a old man with poor bladder
Not to detract from thread but:
You pee more because your body decides how much fluid (pee) it needs to send out of the body to get rid of waste. Alcohol fools your body into draining more fluid. So does caffeine and other things.

Id love to make beer. I have often thought of making a small distillery for personal use.

DismalDude

DismalDude

I have three women very close to me that have mastered the art of home brew.I have to say it's the best beer I've ever had and I love my beer.
I'll be paying them a visit soon and will try and get the low down on their process.They put out about 20 cases a month and keep me happy.
I have no doubt they'll pass on their technique for me to pass along. ;)

Delerium

Delerium

I went to the local brew store, not much there in the line of equipment besides to 5gal starter hobby packs.
I need at least 5 gallons a week.
I'd start out with some 5 gallon ones but really need a IMO a few 30gal setups.
Just curious If I can do it all in the garage or is temp an issue.

neverbreak

neverbreak

nice thread, i've been thinkin about gettin into brewin for a while too. hope we can get some good info up here!

neverbreak

Delerium

Delerium

nice thread, i've been thinkin about gettin into brewin for a while too. hope we can get some good info up here!

neverbreak
I'm down

Prostrate issues?
Worst is when you sleeping and have to get up in the middle of the night and if you don't you sleep like hell.

soserthc1

soserthc1

I'm down

Prostrate issues?
Worst is when you sleeping and have to get up in the middle of the night and if you don't you sleep like hell.
been living this way for 4 yrs and my prostrate psi was fine , up at least 4-5 times a night never sleep more than 3 hrs at a clip , so never encountering any rem sleep which is a form of sleep apnea.

Delerium

Delerium

been living this way for 4 yrs and my prostrate psi was fine , up at least 4-5 times a night never sleep more than 3 hrs at a clip , so never encountering any rem sleep which is a form of sleep apnea.
Same here, why I run lights 24/7.
Heck their is always something to do then.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

I find it hard to believe there aren't any brewers at the farm... where are yall at? I too want to make my own beer, tired of paying good beer prices. I love pretty much all styles of beer. My friends started a micro beer company but I haven't been out to see them in years. gonna check those links out and start my research. thanks for pushing me that way. hope we get a good thread going here.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Hey I know a homebrewer. . I am going to be brewing a red with aggressive hops next week. One gallon will be set aside at secondary fermentation for the addition of some herb. We will see.
sorry what is the question again?
too much grape god and sour fuck

Top Bottom