Any DIY info on building tables for 4x8 trays??? Please :)

• Thread starter Baby Beth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Baby Beth

Baby Beth

Hi this is my first post :) I'm looking to build a table for a 4x8 hydrofarm tray. I'm thinking just a table made from 2x4s with a plywood top? I'd cut a whole for the drain in the plywood. Is this a decent plan? I'd appreciate any and all help.

Reactions: PK1
We Solidarity

We Solidarity

The coolest custom table for a tray I've seen was also the simplest...4x4s bolted together to make a frame for the tray to sit in, with six casters mounted to 4x4 blocks for the legs. They were super low profile and also slightly raised on one end for drainage...runoff went into an even lower profile plastic tote and got sucked up with a buckethead when full.

Baby Beth

Baby Beth

The coolest custom table for a tray I've seen was also the simplest...4x4s bolted together to make a frame for the tray to sit in, with six casters mounted to 4x4 blocks for the legs. They were super low profile and also slightly raised on one end for drainage...runoff went into an even lower profile plastic tote and got sucked up with a buckethead when full.
Were the sides 2x4s?

burn4me

burn4me

Hi this is my first post :) I'm looking to build a table for a 4x8 hydrofarm tray. I'm thinking just a table made from 2x4s with a plywood top? I'd cut a whole for the drain in the plywood. Is this a decent plan? I'd appreciate any and all help.
are you going to use poly as a liner? or water sealer? sounds like the build is there. but wont water damage the plywood after a bit, maybe warping it or something?

Baby Beth

Baby Beth

are you going to use poly as a liner? or water sealer? sounds like the build is there. but wont water damage the plywood after a bit, maybe warping it or something?
Yes I was thinking the same. I figure I'd throw a couple coats of paint on it,but I could use 1x4 pine for the top ( like a futon frame ) ???

burn4me

burn4me

Yes I was thinking the same. I figure I'd throw a couple coats of paint on it,but I could use 1x4 pine for the top ( like a futon frame ) ???
i would get some sort of sealer instead of paint but thats just me. added protection i guess. that way no suprise mold or anything like that.

Stalks

Stalks

I may be mistaken but I think @burn4me is thinking you're building a bed but you're just wanting a table to put they 4x8 on right? In that case you wouldn't need any sealer.

I wouldn't build a table either I'd just build the frame and put a stud every 24" to distribute the load

Tnelz

Tnelz

Check out @medman. His tables are 4*8 I believe and pretty awesome. I'm sure he has them posted here but Def on YouTube. He's cool as hell so I bet if u hit him up he'd explain it. Good luck!

burn4me

burn4me

I may be mistaken but I think @burn4me is thinking you're building a bed but you're just wanting a table to put they 4x8 on right? In that case you wouldn't need any sealer.

I wouldn't build a table either I'd just build the frame and put a stud every 24" to distribute the load
i believe you are correct!!!:bag::banghead:
heavily medicated lol thats the story im sticking to.
but i guess since i reread it again that it is just a table your seeking. yes what you have sounds good. sorry for the confusion. just a solid frame would do.
ima go medicate some more:walkingdead:

T

toquer

I build mine out of 2x3's. A few bucks cheaper and since I don't flood the trays, i'm not too concerned about the weight. The legs are 4x4 but I used to do a 2x3 butted up to a 2x6 making an L shape. But the casters don't screw into that to well. I start with a rectangle frame and cross brace three times across the site dimension. Center brace gets a leg and casters too. They then get sprayed with Killz. PVC uprights get attached to the legs and hold the trellis. Table is a few inches larger on each side than the tray.

Baby Beth

Baby Beth

I build mine out of 2x3's. A few bucks cheaper and since I don't flood the trays, i'm not too concerned about the weight. The legs are 4x4 but I used to do a 2x3 butted up to a 2x6 making an L shape. But the casters don't screw into that to well. I start with a rectangle frame and cross brace three times across the site dimension. Center brace gets a leg and casters too. They then get sprayed with Killz. PVC uprights get attached to the legs and hold the trellis. Table is a few inches larger on each side than the tray.
This is what I'm looking for. Except I'm doing one 4x8 and one 4x4 for my L. I will also be hitting it with kilz. You don't have any pics do ya?

T

toquer

Not right now. Flying back tonight. Am consulting across the country this week. Will post some tomorrow.

T

toquer

here ya go.
Tray stand

Weedwhacke421

Weedwhacke421

I just built a 4X8 flood table not quite complete yet. I sealed it with a rubber thick type of sealant. I have a drain in my garage that I will run the excess water into right under it. I have to mount a drain plug so I can just turn the handle and it all runs into my drain.

DSCN0988
DSCN0922
PK1

PK1

Supporter
Are you planning on having rockwool in the tray? My DYI tray isn't the same size as yours but, the concept is there. I laid a thick layer of black plastic at the bottom with a quater inch hole. The plastic does go through the hole to make a perfect seal with the rubber grommet. This would be better then paint as paint will get damage overtime and it probably isn't good for the roots.
I used batting as a layer between the plastic and roots and on top of the rockwool i had a tick white plastic. Can't remember the name right now but if you want i can dig it all up.
2021 12 31 140224
2021 12 31 140227
2022 02 23 191539

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You could fiberglass the insides pretty easy would not need to look great but 100% waterproof and will last a decade.

Top Bottom