Any Led Growers Out There?

• Thread starter jackwhite
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jackwhite

jackwhite

Led = dense potent buds.

as good as hps? it's actually worth the price?
I personally like the 60% less energy consumption but I don't want to be saving electricity just to get b grade fluffy bud.

how long have you been growing with LED's and what type of leds do you grow with? thnks!

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

You will get higher gpw but lower overall yields in most cases. I prefer what i see with the DIY LEDs. This advice is given from observation and not from my experience.

jackwhite

jackwhite

ok thanks for the honesty. I was told using hps is like using a cassette player when dvds came out but im always reading about how tried and true hps lights are. ive also read that the led technology had improved dramatically the last few years.

i have two dimmable hps ballast
1 goes from 600watts to 1000 watts
and the other fromm 400 watts to 600watts

jackwhite

jackwhite

You will get higher gpw but lower overall yields in most cases. I prefer what i see with the DIY LEDs. This advice is given from observation and not from my experience.
what is DIY? thnks for your input

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

ok thanks for the honesty. I was told using hps is like using a cassette player when dvds came out but im always reading about how tried and true hps lights are. ive also read that the led technology had improved dramatically the last few years.

i have two dimmable hps ballast
1 goes from 600watts to 1000 watts
and the other fromm 400 watts to 600watts

Ehhh in some ways thats true but if you think about how LEDs work they are not very efficient all stuck in one panel hanging in one location, shit penetration in that setup. With COBs you can build an led setup where you put the lights in the most effective places and run bigger but fewer LEDs

jackwhite

jackwhite

thanks for link, but im not a DIY type of guy! I would probably burn my house down lol.. i think ill stick with hps for now until the led technology gets better! ty

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

thanks for link, but im not a DIY type of guy! I would probably burn my house down lol.. i think ill stick with hps for now until the led technology gets better! ty

No problem, tasty LEDs are some pre built versions of the same things. He runs his a little too hot for my taste though. Lowers the efficiency and bulb life. Great for a manufacturing standpoint trrrible for the consumer.

GreentoGrow

GreentoGrow

Like way more accessible PAR reaching the actual plant leaves. Do ur research on ppfd photosynthetic photon flux density and DLI daily light integral because these numbers are the numbers that matter to the plant and to ur yeild. I.e. The total usable light (400 -700 nm which is the correct wavelengths to best support photosynthesis ) the plants receive per square meter per second over the course of the entire light cycle . Compare usable par after inverse square law for both configurations led and hid, bare in mind ur going to calculate the ppfd and DLI not Lumens or light intensity ok. figure what ppfd and DLI u r getting from ur hids and honestly do the math and see for yourself which light is truly more efficient. Remember people leds produce hardly any heat and we all love our co2 but don't forget to raise your thermos up or your plants will have that larf effect ( stringy ect. ) If u do not supplement co2 run a colder room with LEDs and your yield will increase. I have been doing this for only a few years so plz I'll take all and any advice or extra insight thx everyone.

jackwhite

jackwhite

Like way more accessible PAR reaching the actual plant leaves. Do ur research on ppfd photosynthetic photon flux density and DLI daily light integral because these numbers are the numbers that matter to the plant and to ur yeild. I.e. The total usable light (400 -700 nm which is the correct wavelengths to best support photosynthesis ) the plants receive per square meter per second over the course of the entire light cycle . Compare usable par after inverse square law for both configurations led and hid, bare in mind ur going to calculate the ppfd and DLI not Lumens or light intensity ok. figure what ppfd and DLI u r getting from ur hids and honestly do the math and see for yourself which light is truly more efficient. Remember people leds produce hardly any heat and we all love our co2 but don't forget to raise your thermos up or your plants will have that larf effect ( stringy ect. ) If u do not supplement co2 run a colder room with LEDs and your yield will increase. I have been doing this for only a few years so plz I'll take all and any advice or extra insight thx everyone.
what do you mean raise thermos up? like heat? how do you raise your heat? also i noticed when its 78-80deg my humidity is always at 40%. what do you use with leds besides to raise heat?

GreentoGrow

GreentoGrow

what do you mean raise thermos up? like heat? how do you raise your heat? also i noticed when its 78-80deg my humidity is always at 40%. what do you use with leds besides to raise heat?
Ok 40%hum bloom ok 50 % optimum. 65-75% optimum in veg but my room almost always stays close to 50% hum day night all the time and things are great . To adjust ur grow room thermostat (heat) when using LEDs I need to know what type of system ur using like passive airflow active intake and exhaust , completely sealed ect . The system I'm trying set up presently will be a stacked bucket stash system using a 135 led ufo with actual watts of around 80ish and a quick calculation for ur led watts is around 25 actual watts per square ft (remember these numbers will only get u an est. of the amount of actual wattage ,type of led lighting , and diode size to use. The best diode producing the most effiently is the 3watt diode. Times the number of diodes falling inside 400 and 700 nm in ur light or total garden by 1.7 of actual wattage power draw off the 3watt led diodes then that will get u ur actual watts and from that u allotte 25 watts per square ft of garden space. FYI the three watt diode even only pushing 1.7 watts will penetrate up to 5 ft inside canopy which is what indoor growth requires. So in my passive system I sit a 6 in inline fan on a thermo controlled variable auto fan speed controller that doesn't cycle off on but slows down or speeds up based on the environment I'm trying to create. So if my setup needs more heat then fan will slow down to allow that build up. I don't allow for even a 5 degree shift in temp between day/night. Adjusting the ambient Air For the room my containers are in also makes it easier to keep temps where I want. My advice is controllers thermo/hydrostats all linked into a master environmental controller will almost take all human error away. Also if u have a nice big room running a co2 gene will add heat as a by product so that is a couple ideas besides running a heater which pulls a lot of watts and amps. Lastly I'm in a state that is not legal so I have to have as lil ft print as possible and so what I'm doing to beat my smart meter (hate those things ) (put in over 80 million homes across the us already will get u busted ) I run 4 bucket stash systems with two bucket lids modified for the ufo led and a fan and 2 with just fans and guys I'm running those lights 24/7 at my flip time my wife and I switch the lids on the 2 buckets and now we are doubling our yeild off two LEDs total garden watts close to 500 drawing about 5 ish amps and there is no power spikes from traditional flip boxes and the fans don't cycle off on either. I hope I'm helping u guys I got to run I can post more details later

Timmyahcomeon

Timmyahcomeon

I've been using a illumitex neosol led, and I love it, great for veg and flower.

uns420

uns420

i like my led its a mars ii 1200 in flower spectrum. in comparison to my 600 watt hid about the same. Not quite the foot print or weight produced, but Greasy dense buds though. Also super stinky compared to same strain under my hps.

Top Bottom