• Thread starter jackwhite
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

I am a armoire cab grower.
Been growing led for about 3 years.
I have Mars hydro and loved them.
I feel one has gotta change their think process when going to LED.
I have since moved to DIY cob LEDs.
And I love them more!!
I've gotten some of the best grows with led, better than my hps grows. once everything is set up right.
I grow sativas and sat doms, so I've never really had super tight buds, even with hps.
But I was gifted a moneymaker clone and flowering it now and these are the tightenest buds I've ever grown!!!
It's more indica.
No matter what naysayers may bray, leds are abig part of growing future.
One of my biggest hurdles with LED is heat management.
With hps I always fought the heat.
Now I am dealing with the cool...
Good luck!!

Last edited:
jackwhite

jackwhite

Like way more accessible PAR reaching the actual plant leaves. Do ur research on ppfd photosynthetic photon flux density and DLI daily light integral because these numbers are the numbers that matter to the plant and to ur yeild. I.e. The total usable light (400 -700 nm which is the correct wavelengths to best support photosynthesis ) the plants receive per square meter per second over the course of the entire light cycle . Compare usable par after inverse square law for both configurations led and hid, bare in mind ur going to calculate the ppfd and DLI not Lumens or light intensity ok. figure what ppfd and DLI u r getting from ur hids and honestly do the math and see for yourself which light is truly more efficient. Remember people leds produce hardly any heat and we all love our co2 but don't forget to raise your thermos up or your plants will have that larf effect ( stringy ect. ) If u do not supplement co2 run a colder room with LEDs and your yield will increase. I have been doing this for only a few years so plz I'll take all and any advice or extra insight thx everyone.
what temps are you running (lights on vs light off) with your Led's . what type of leds do you have how do you like them?

J

Jellis420

Anyone with experience growing with LED grow lights? I was looking into California light works and Kind Led.

How was the quality of your buds?
were they fluffy?
any difference in potency?
yields compared to hps?
is it worth the investment?
thanks for your input!

what do you mean raise thermos up? like heat? how do you raise your heat? also i noticed when its 78-80deg my humidity is always at 40%. what do you use with leds besides to raise heat?

Not to many led grow light company's can even talk about DLI.. But can anyone far as LED grow light company's can't even produce a white paper with PPFD. So let's get the ball rolling and start the education process on the truth about led grow lights today>>

jackwhite

jackwhite

I was also looking at these as well each light covers 3x3 area

yooper420

yooper420

Curmudgeonlander
Supporter
i have a 5x5 tent i was thinking about putting 2 of these leds inthe room
http://advancedledlights.com/3w-led-grow-lights/new-diamond-series-xml-10w-cree-xml/

I have 3 Advanced Diamond Series 300`s to light a 3' x 7' grow area. Just started my 8th or 9th grow with `em. Put seeds in the dirt Wednesday evening. So far I have 7 sprouts out of 18 seeds in 3 days. Waiting on more. Use LED`s from sprout to harvest. I grow sativa`s or sativa dominant plants usually. Highly recommend the Advanced Led`s from their site, not the advanced ones on ebay, there knock-offs.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Anyone with experience growing with LED grow lights? I was looking into California light works and Kind Led.

How was the quality of your buds?
were they fluffy?
any difference in potency?
yields compared to hps?
is it worth the investment?
thanks for your input!

Been using them for years now. Newer offerings are a huge step forward. Here's a few pics of one plant grown under an Amare Technologies SE 220, 220w CoB Hybrid. She was 4ft+ x 19

IMG 3110
IMG 3172
IMG 3176
jackspider76

jackspider76

Hello all, finally a thread I can have some input on.lol. I'm running a 880 California light works and a 450 Blackdog in a 5x5 tent, c02 tank with a titan 6 control box. I'm also using the (CLW) 200 veg with the 220 bloom in a 4x4 short tent for veg. I love these lights. I'm on year 4 of growing so I'm still learning,( always trying to get better) but I do Avg 280g per blue dream in a 7-gallon pot. I don't know if that's good or not when you have all theses great growing on this form. (thank you everyone on the farmer for their support and guidance) So please ask me anything. P.S I've never used HID or HPS ever so I can't help when it come to a comparison.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Not to many led grow light company's can even talk about DLI.. But can anyone far as LED grow light company's can't even produce a white paper with PPFD.

I use these lamps, with a targeted supplement of T5 high output reptile lamps for hardiness and frost:

I've been getting great results from veg to flower, even without the reptile lamps.

So I calculated the conservative DLI ( 500 μmoles of photons per second ) is 1.8 moles / hr

When I veg, the only limit is CO2. DLI for 18 hours is 32.4 moles.
For flowering - 12 hours of light the DLI is 21.6 moles.

The lamp draws 230 watts. The warmest the heat sinks gets is about 130 degrees.

iKharon

iKharon

Just now running a Kind K5 xl750.. so far, digging it. Thinking about adding a k5 1000 to the tent

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

Led = dense potent buds.
Well
Not entirely true.
Leds are not a magic pill that one puts in their garden and magically gets denser buds..(sounds like a Big Bug promo...use this and magic will happen)
There is a much steeper learning curve with leds. Watt per watt Leds make close to the same amount of heat as Hps but while hps use 70% of energy to make wasted head, Leds use about 40%.
The led heat is also just more easyly manageable.
Leds produce When Leds are set up properly
Proper height, wattage per space, nutrients, temps, and humidity, avail co2,all make a denser bud.
Do Leds work??
Yes...
Very well.
But before anyone can get dense buds with any light their area must be as close to optimum as the thier environment allows.
So
Yes
Leds set up properly can be one of the stepping stones on the path to dense buds
Peace Out
Dump Trump

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Internodal spacing is pretty much the key to a dense flower. Flower stretch is one place where I see a difference. I can bring my lamps to as close as 10-12" without bleaching or heat damage although I typically use closer to 16-18". Everything I've grown under these lamps has been *better* than what I get outdoors in density. That may be due to my proximity to the coast. Fog fucks up the morning start too often.

I think the most significant things for LED choice are heat and power dissipation. At the moment I think CMH is actually better ( economic, performance ) if you aren't focusing on heat and / or power consumption. All lamp types are simply photon sources of various spectral output and power ( moles/m2/sec ). LEDs still generate problematic heat, it just isn't pointed at the plants in most cases. As with most technical approaches to a solution, it is trade-off elimination driven by economics for the application. In some climates, the heat can be helpful to maintain growing temperatures and humidity. I think LEDs benefit certain growers ( closet, sealed room, linear row crops ) more than medium scale and larger plant grows. The LED lamps marketed to cannabis growers are too expensive in price/performance and may not even be all that optimal for growing cannabis. I wonder about actual reliability, since that is rarely ever discussed and I know there are many marginal designs in the market. Most of the vendors quote the MTBF of the LED devices as the MTFB of their lamps and this is not the same as their assembly of those devices. It matters.

iKharon

iKharon

Internodal spacing is pretty much the key to a dense flower. Flower stretch is one place where I see a difference. I can bring my lamps to as close as 10-12" without bleaching or heat damage although I typically use closer to 16-18". Everything I've grown under these lamps has been *better* than what I get outdoors in density. That may be due to my proximity to the coast. Fog fucks up the morning start too often.

I think the most significant things for LED choice are heat and power dissipation. At the moment I think CMH is actually better ( economic, performance ) if you aren't focusing on heat and / or power consumption. All lamp types are simply photon sources of various spectral output and power ( moles/m2/sec ). LEDs still generate problematic heat, it just isn't pointed at the plants in most cases. As with most technical approaches to a solution, it is trade-off elimination driven by economics for the application. In some climates, the heat can be helpful to maintain growing temperatures and humidity. I think LEDs benefit certain growers ( closet, sealed room, linear row crops ) more than medium scale and larger plant grows. The LED lamps marketed to cannabis growers are too expensive in price/performance and may not even be all that optimal for growing cannabis. I wonder about actual reliability, since that is rarely ever discussed and I know there are many marginal designs in the market. Most of the vendors quote the MTBF of the LED devices as the MTFB of their lamps and this is not the same as their assembly of those devices. It matters.
My parents use led, 3 of my buddies use Led and my cuz does as well. I'm running one.. considering a 2nd one. I like em. No complaints.

ArmedGeek

ArmedGeek

I run the Duo Lux 600 from top shelf light. So far I love it.

yooper420

yooper420

Curmudgeonlander
Supporter
Had 3 Advanced Diamond Series 300`s. Have 1 1/2 still functioning. Contacted the company and was told "it`s obsolete, no repair parts available". Was very happy, not any more.
Built a Timber Grow Light 200 watt kit. White LED, seems to do the job just fine. Gonna order another one. Have the material to build another frame or two.

Top Bottom