Any one use super soil?

• Thread starter oglovinlife18
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

oglovinlife18

i am looking into this super soil i was wondering ne one have any expierence...also would mollasses be added during flowering or it is not needed?

B

bakelite

I'm interested in Super Soil as well. I have some cooking right now, it won't be ready for a couple more weeks. What appeals to me is that when used properly it is supposed to be water only (i.e. doesn't require any additional nutes during flower). I will keep an eye on this thread.

-bakelite

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

For years I ran a super soil. Water only. Worked great.

I used this recipe.

1 bag Fox Farm Light Warrior
1 bag Fox Farm Ocean Forest
1 bag Fox Farm Happy Frog potting soil
1/2 bag fox farm big and chunky perlite
1 cup Fox Farm piece of mind Starter mix
1 cup Fox Farm Piece of Mind Fruit and Flower

You do not have to let this cook in the sun like Subcool's mix. I would veg for 30 day's flower for 60 day's. Average 8 ounces a plant or more. At day of flower I top dress again with 3/4 cup of fruit and flower and water only. After 5 week's I would use molasses. You do not need molasses but it helps.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I have seen some really good results using Subby's mix. My issue is the cost of making his recipe. It cost's too much for what you get out of it. And I do not like waiting to use my soil.
If you have the money and time to spend, Subcool's recipe will do very well. Very good tasting meds and quality.

aleYarok

aleYarok

its really isnt much... i cut his recipe in half and was able to use it for 30 plants in 5 gal. way cheaper than the $$ i spend on hydro nutes.
and you do have to wait if you plan ahead... hah

lazarus718

lazarus718

its really isnt much... i cut his recipe in half and was able to use it for 30 plants in 5 gal. way cheaper than the $$ i spend on hydro nutes.
and you do have to wait if you plan ahead... hah

Sub's mix is cheap as dirt bro. Goes a long, long way. And I'm sorry, but if you have a total of 90 days for your grow period you are not going to harvest 8 oz. dry per plant no matter what strain you run. You need a longer veg time if you want to accomplish that. But, yes, you can grow from little baby to big momma with just the supersoil mix and have good results.

O

oglovinlife18

i dont get what 8 oz a plant means ..what if i put 4 plants under a 1000 does that mean 32 oz...?

lazarus718

lazarus718

i dont get what 8 oz a plant means ..what if i put 4 plants under a 1000 does that mean 32 oz...?

You'll get a better estimate if you let everyone know what strain you are going to run and how long you are going to veg. You won't get 8 oz. per plant from a 30 day veg in soil.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

You'll get a better estimate if you let everyone know what strain you are going to run and how long you are going to veg. You won't get 8 oz. per plant from a 30 day veg in soil.

Your probably right. I did not account the time I had them in the clone bucket. My "clones" are about a foot tall and bushy by the time I put them in veg. So about 7 weeks I was vegging for from the time they were rooted.

lazarus718

lazarus718

Your probably right. I did not account the time I had them in the clone bucket. My "clones" are about a foot tall and bushy by the time I put them in veg. So about 7 weeks I was vegging for from the time they were rooted.

Yeah, that's def a good head start then bro. Now I see where you got your weight. I count my veg from the day they sprout through the soil so a 30 day veg for me generally leaves me with around 3.5 oz per plant on a so-so yielder.

Whippleschnitz

Whippleschnitz

The use of molasses is more to help feed the herd of microrganisms that breakdown the organic nutrients in your soil. You should be able to feed molasses to the soil whenever you want right up until harvest. I usually add it to each watering at about 1tsp. per gallon of water. Can you do without it? Yes. Will it help maintain plant and soil health? Yes it will.

H

H4H

Hey Smokey what kind of clone bucket do you run? I am thinking about building a stinkbud unit to clone in but how do you transplant to soil without damaging roots as it doesn't use any medium? Also what kind of shock if any does the plant go through. If you could explain how you do it it would be great.
Thanks
H4H

N

naturalmedicine

When they say "cook", what exactly does that mean? Does the soil need to reach a certain temperature? Subcool says that he lets it cook in the sunshine. If I can't put my mix in sunshine, is it not going to be able to "cook" correctly?

lazarus718

lazarus718

When they say "cook", what exactly does that mean? Does the soil need to reach a certain temperature? Subcool says that he lets it cook in the sunshine. If I can't put my mix in sunshine, is it not going to be able to "cook" correctly?

You want to treat it like you would treat a composting bin. Yes, ideally you would want it to sit out in the sunshine to get all the good stuff flowing.

phenotyper

phenotyper

Are there any other ways to activate the soil indoors? I have been wanting to mix up a batch but I do not have the outdoor space to place a large bin of soil.

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
Are there any other ways to activate the soil indoors? I have been wanting to mix up a batch but I do not have the outdoor space to place a large bin of soil.

It can be accomplished indoors but you will need a heat source (to raise the core temp to around 78 f. minimum) and the smell may be a bit much...you may want to find an out of the way place (top of house/garage maybe) to proceed with the process.
FJ

MARTA

MARTA

It can be accomplished indoors but you will need a heat source (to raise the core temp to around 78 f. minimum) and the smell may be a bit much...you may want to find an out of the way place (top of house/garage maybe) to proceed with the process.
FJ

I cook my mix indoors...

I use a small unused office in my house with a radiator and a thermostat set to 78 degrees.

Just make sure it can breathe so you don't have a massive build-up of condensation in the container.

M

mrbong73

"Cooking" soil is the process of the soil microbes breaking down the ingredients of the soil to make them available to the plant. It does not require sunshine or additional heat sources. Just keep it slighty moist and aerate by dumping it out somewhere (tarp) and mixing it up a little every few days or so.
There really shouldn't be much smell unless you use lots of fish and fish bone meal. Your soil should smell nice and earthy.

edit: with the addition of organic fertilizer into the mix the soil microbes have a lot of food to work on and will go at it with vigor. This reaction causes heat and results in a lot of available nutrients which makes the soil "hot". It is best to let this occur prior to planting so as not to overfeed and burn young plants.
Hence the recomendation to "let it cook".
or something like that...
Peace

Top Bottom