Any wrestlers in Colo? Look at this 5 yr old wrestler

• Thread starter lino
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Nope, I never have lived on Co. I did however wrestle in middle and high school. My career ended with a severe dislocation of my elbow, totally destroyed it. I was a big legs guy for a while and occasionally threw moves like that, but I was only ever shooting for back points.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Sik leg cradle! grew up wrestling in high school our team was ranked 8th in the state so I got to be in all the toughest tourneys. I was pretty good 2 but didn't get to wrestle my JR. and SR. years do to incarceration(what an idiot i was). my son turns 10 next year and he already knows thats the year he becomes a man in my eyes, hence he has to step up and wrestle. he's almost done with Karate 2nd degree brown , he's done judo 2. next few years before he hits HS. he will wrestle and judo off season. Wrestling adds a determination and focus that most other sports can't touch imho.

confu

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Wrestling adds a determination and focus that most other sports can't touch imho.
confu

This is it exactly. Anyone who takes the sport seriously learns that focus and dedication are the only way to achieve your goals in life, and sometimes you have to sacrifice to get there. Invaluable lessons taught in wrestling. You are out on the mat all by yourself with no one else to help you out. But what you do out there still effects your team. Just one of the many lessons wrestling offers that will be applied in all aspects of ones life.

lino

lino

I was Pres of the Metro Wrestling League, Olympic Wrestling commitee and coach of Many champs and worked with and coached against Mike Alvarado (Boxing Champ). My best advice to fathers with young athletes.
1.) Always admire your son or daughter for getting on the Mat, its very scary,! Their fucking FIGHTING even if he is 5.
2.) Dont let other parents get to you.
3. if your boy cut 10% for a wgt in , then you go to the gym with him and you cut 10% wgt, become champs together.
4, If your body and mind will allow you to, set an example by competing if you desire to get on Mat at that level, not for many parents but it helped my boys excel in that savage sport.

Judo - one of the Best Clubs in the USA is at Northglenn Rec Center, many champs (my boys rolled with Hoshimoto's) and they run a Very Good Judo club for kids and adults and families ..... ol guys can get on the Mat and roll, all levels and the club is well ran. the Ol instructor can throw you.

MMA - I like Zingano gym http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...zingano-still-1-contender-185843918--mma.html if you go to this gym tell Garrett at the front counter the guy that used put him in the leg caddle sent ya,,, he'll laugh hard and yu;ll get some good stories..., He VERY good with kids and coaching kids in Wrestling , There some of the best coaches you'll find for kids learning wrestling.... Zach is good on his feet and Garrett will show other MMA for kids....

Last edited:
Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
This is it exactly. Anyone who takes the sport seriously learns that focus and dedication are the only way to achieve your goals in life, and sometimes you have to sacrifice to get there. Invaluable lessons taught in wrestling. You are out on the mat all by yourself with no one else to help you out. But what you do out there still effects your team. Just one of the many lessons wrestling offers that will be applied in all aspects of ones life.

Real Talk @Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Thanks Confu. I took my wrestling very seriously. I was so upset when they removed wrestling from the Olympics. I was even more glad when they reinstated it. I still try and get to matches when I can, but never enough.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
I was Pres of the Metro Wrestling League, Olympic Wrestling commitee and coach of Many champs and worked with and coached against Mike Alvarado (Boxing Champ). My best advice to fathers with young athletes.
1.) Always admire your son or daughter for getting on the Mat, its very scary,! Their fucking FIGHTING even if he is 5.
2.) Dont let other parents get to you.
3. if your boy cut 10% for a wgt in , then you go to the gym with him and you cut 10% wgt, become champs together.
4, If your body and mind will allow you to, set an example by competing if you desire to get on Mat at that level, not for many parents but it helped my boys excel in that savage sport.

Judo - one of the Best Clubs in the USA is at Northglenn Rec Center, many champs (my boys rolled with Hoshimoto's) and they run a Very Good Judo club for kids and adults and families ..... ol guys can get on the Mat and roll, all levels and the club is well ran. the Ol instructor can throw you.

MMA - I like Zingano gym http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...zingano-still-1-contender-185843918--mma.html if you go to this gym tell Garrett at the front counter the guy that used put him in the leg caddle sent ya,,, he'll laugh hard and yu;ll get some good stories..., He VERY good with kids and coaching kids in Wrestling , There some of the best coaches you'll find for kids learning wrestling.... Zach is good on his feet and Garrett will show other MMA for kids....

awesome @lino all great advise, man, i jus still can't understand the girl wrestling thing yet. When i was in high school we had females jus starting to get on the matts with dudes but at my school it wasn't nothing serious jus wrestling groupies that wanted to get manhandled by studs, now they got full girls team. My daughter, as competitive as she is better never ask to wrestle, she can stick to Karate and Gymnastics, she jus made team on Gymnastics so that should keep her busy for awhile!

confu

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

and u guys nailed it wrestling takes REAL determination, as well as mma.
constantly working through pain and injuries..

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Confu, I am happy to see the girls wrestling programs. I wrestled a girl once in a tournament in high school, strangest experience in my wrestling career. No idea where to grab, and honestly they could not match the strength of guys in the same weight class. So creating teams and leagues that cater to girls is a great thing, let them compete on an even playing field. Why should girls not be allowed to learn the same lessons us guys were?

Chronic, they removed it from competition for something like a week. There was such an outcry the Olympic committee reinstated it. The wrestling community is much stronger than people think. As I said above, wrestling teaches hard work and dedication in the max. These lessons become instilled in serious wrestlers for their lives; these lessons are carried over into their professional lives and become successful professionally. And most of all wrestlers never, I repeat never, go down easy.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Confu, I am happy to see the girls wrestling programs. I wrestled a girl once in a tournament in high school, strangest experience in my wrestling career. No idea where to grab, and honestly they could not match the strength of guys in the same weight class. So creating teams and leagues that cater to girls is a great thing, let them compete on an even playing field. Why should girls not be allowed to learn the same lessons us guys were?

Chronic, they removed it from competition for something like a week. There was such an outcry the Olympic committee reinstated it. The wrestling community is much stronger than people think. As I said above, wrestling teaches hard work and dedication in the max. These lessons become instilled in serious wrestlers for their lives; these lessons are carried over into their professional lives and become successful professionally. And most of all wrestlers never, I repeat never, go down easy.

Girls def need those same lessons we learned, i jus think combat sports should be a dude thing not a girl thing. jus my opinion, i guess I'm old school like that. they do have other sports that teach those same things wrestling does that cater to females, specifically Gymnastics. I never thought that there was a sport that was more demanding physically , mentally and time dedication until my daughter started to do it. these girls on team practice 5- 6 days a week for 5 hours, some are homeschooled because of the time demands, it is also a sport that is a team and individual , teaching many of the same lessons. I jus don't want to see girls getting physically beat up in a sport, it is very unbecoming. again jus my opinion, and i have a niece that competes in wrestling 2.

confu

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I guess I can understand that, not that I agree with it, but I can understand where you are coming from Confu. I personally don't think it is unfeminine for girls to wrestle, no more so than any other sport that guys also play. I honestly would rather see a girl wrestle than play football.

As for gymnastics, it is incredibly demanding. I wrestled with a guy who also was a gymnast, he was often in better shape than most of the other guys on the wrestling team. So I absolutely understand the dedication required for that sport. In all reality, to become the elite in any sport it requires strict determination and dedication, not just wrestling. However I do think there is something special about wrestling, only rivaled by boxing. The pure physicality of the sports bring a new level which participants must push themselves through just to be good, not even great. I was of the philosophy that if I didn't come out of practice with a new cut, bruise or injury daily, I simply didn't feel I had practiced hard enough. This to me is what sets wrestling apart from all other sports.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
I guess I can understand that, not that I agree with it, but I can understand where you are coming from Confu. I personally don't think it is unfeminine for girls to wrestle, no more so than any other sport that guys also play. I honestly would rather see a girl wrestle than play football.

As for gymnastics, it is incredibly demanding. I wrestled with a guy who also was a gymnast, he was often in better shape than most of the other guys on the wrestling team. So I absolutely understand the dedication required for that sport. In all reality, to become the elite in any sport it requires strict determination and dedication, not just wrestling. However I do think there is something special about wrestling, only rivaled by boxing. The pure physicality of the sports bring a new level which participants must push themselves through just to be good, not even great. I was of the philosophy that if I didn't come out of practice with a new cut, bruise or injury daily, I simply didn't feel I had practiced hard enough. This to me is what sets wrestling apart from all other sports.

you got valid points @Smoking Gun !

confu

lino

lino

Hey, Lino, can we open this up to a wider audience? I would love to hear from any current or former wrestlers that are on this site. I think there are a lot of cross over points in growing and wrestling.
what ya mean, open this up to a wider audience? should I post it in another category.
syncro swimming is a sport wreslting ain't..fucking dumb fucks
sync swimming - there are plenty of women on the Olympic committee,,, and that works when they're female athletes... And putting non athletic oriented people making decision on what sports to have at the Oly and you'll get sync swim and no wrestling... I dont know why they got rid of wrestling and we watch sync swimming ,,, you rarely see Oly boxing and wrestling on the TV anyway. Its lookN like wrestling might make a come back tho....

Top Bottom