Anybody do 2-stage harvest? Tops only first?

• Thread starter phxazcraig
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Just wondering what experiences others have had from harvesting the top part of the canopy, then waiting a week or two to take the rest of the plant.

I'm running a very bushy grow, and while the top 6 inches or so of canopy has mature buds ready to harvest anytime between now and a week from now, there are a lot of bud sites lower down that seem a few weeks behind. AND I have not enough clearance between my light and the top of the canopy (12 inches) so taking off the top layer would also provide better coverage to the remaining bud sites.

TSD

TSD

Just wondering what experiences others have had from harvesting the top part of the canopy, then waiting a week or two to take the rest of the plant.

I'm running a very bushy grow, and while the top 6 inches or so of canopy has mature buds ready to harvest anytime between now and a week from now, there are a lot of bud sites lower down that seem a few weeks behind. AND I have not enough clearance between my light and the top of the canopy (12 inches) so taking off the top layer would also provide better coverage to the remaining bud sites.
I've done it outdoors before, just keep in mind it's going to take a while for the plant to recover from having it's tops cut off, so it probably won't do much for like a week after.

mancorn

mancorn

I do almost all my harvesting over time (as I’m outdoors, wet trim, and need weeks). It’s not going to effect your plants negativity. But as Ponky suggest, the airy little buds aren’t going to start packing on the pounds either, so you’re probably better off just starting your next grow.

TSD

TSD

I do almost all my harvesting over time (as I’m outdoors, wet trim, and need weeks). It’s not going to effect your plants negativity. But as Ponky suggest, the airy little buds aren’t going to start packing on the pounds either, so you’re probably better off just starting your next grow.
Same, I don't do it to make the lower buds bigger, although they will ripen a little, I do it out of necessity for time to trim and dry in stages. Usually takes me a solid month.

kyLman

kyLman

I did it on my last harvest. I think it helped personally. I harvested the tops at 8.75 weeks and then about 2.5 weeks later the rest of the plant. It definitely packed on more weight (able to move the light closer now.) It even started throwing more hairs like it was trying to keep swelling. I ended up .9 g/watt which isnt bad for me on my 4th grow.
If you have two tents (one for veg) why not try it?

cannabiscreep

cannabiscreep

I did this on my last grow and it helped, but only to ripen what were already full sized buds. The top turned more amber first so I harvested and watched as more amber trichs appeared on lower buds then harvested. I did four harvests over a month. This also helped with trimming and drying as it was huge plant. I was able to fit it into drying fridge without crowding and it was all I could trim at one time anyway.
If the flowers are under developed/ airy/ larfy just hash them or chuck em. They aren't worth the time or effort to try and grow to maturity.

TSD

TSD

I did this on my last grow and it helped, but only to ripen what were already full sized buds. The top turned more amber first so I harvested and watched as more amber trichs appeared on lower buds then harvested. I did four harvests over a month. This also helped with trimming and drying as it was huge plant. I was able to fit it into drying fridge without crowding and it was all I could trim at one time anyway.
If the flowers are under developed/ airy/ larfy just hash them or chuck em. They aren't worth the time or effort to try and grow to maturity.
I call them butter buds, still good for making butter, oil, hash, etc.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I call them butter buds, still good for making butter, oil, hash, etc.
I have a lot of those down in the very shady area. I have a Nugsmasher, and dry sift screens, standing by for post-harvest activities.

The ones a foot below the canopy are small, but pretty tight buds. Almost white with trichomes.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I wouldn't bother. If a branch doesn't have hard buds just toss it. Don't even trim larf. Not worth the time. Popcorn buds are not worth the effort of saving or rolling.
Hold on a minute there "Not worth the time. Popcorn buds are not worth the effort of saving or rolling." are you out of your mind? I love my popcorn and I'm adding lights to increase their density. I cook with the larf & smoke the buds. Toss them in the jar & I'd challenge you to recognize the difference smoking them.

We grow plants for months and too much effort is spent killing off all the under growth. imho I want the whole plant like apples, oranges, grapes... lol......I'm not looking to grow one big artichoke or pineapple

TSD

TSD

Hold on a minute there "Not worth the time. Popcorn buds are not worth the effort of saving or rolling." are you out of your mind? I love my popcorn and I'm adding lights to increase their density. I cook with the larf & smoke the buds. Toss them in the jar & I'd challenge you to recognize the difference smoking them.

We grow plants for months and too much effort is spent killing off all the under growth. imho I want the whole plant like apples, oranges, grapes... lol......I'm not looking to grow one big artichoke or pineapple
I agree, I cure my larf as if were going to be smoked, when it's time to pop open a jar for cooking, it smells almost as good as my top shelf buds, even though I don't manicure the larf, obviously, that would be maddening lol.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I agree, I cure my larf as if were going to be smoked, when it's time to pop open a jar for cooking, it smells almost as good as my top shelf buds, even though I don't manicure the larf, obviously, that would be maddening lol.
I recently bought a big rotary trimming machine specifically to deal with larfy stuff. Makes it a lot easier to separate out the stuff to be used for dry sift and oil.

Can't wait to try some buds in the Nugsmasher. My last crop didn't press very well.

Ponky

Ponky

Really? Lol. I disagree.
I mean if you don't perpetually grow keep them for edibles. You can dry them out and hand strip the stalk. But yeah there's no weight there. And you buy weed so cheap here trimming that stuff would be kind of a waste of time. If the bud has no firmness I say skip trimming it.

Ponky

Ponky

I perpetual harvest. Just wouldn't have time or space to cook edibles. So I don't even keep them.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Yep I do this every time. For example today is 10 days from harvest. This keeps me at a 2 month flower cycle. I havnt added nutrients in about a week and have only been adding ro. Tomorrow I do my partial harvest and upper defoliation. I want light to get down to the lower canopy for the last 9 days. So yea. . full harvest next friday.

TSD

TSD

I mean if you don't perpetually grow keep them for edibles. You can dry them out and hand strip the stalk. But yeah there's no weight there. And you buy weed so cheap here trimming that stuff would be kind of a waste of time. If the bud has no firmness I say skip trimming it.
That's pretty much what I do, on swift strip and into the butta bag she goes.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Really? Lol. I disagree.
I throw entire plants away that I don't feel like trimming up and that did not impress me. Just depends on your motivation behind growing, and how much you have.

I never have larf, let alone bother trimming it.

I do sometimes harvest buds across a week or more period for testing purposes. It does not hurt the plant if done properly, in fact it often helps, especially with airflow and light penetration.

Latest posts

Top Bottom