Anyone going to watch "Weed Wars"

• Thread starter Snowblind
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If the feds were going to go after him, they would do one of two things--use the IRS, and go after him. The IRS has been there, but the feds haven't gone after him.

I take it you haven't dealt with IRS goons before.

B

Bobby Stainless

Nope. I pay my taxes.

IMO it seems he is showing off a bit too much, by having a TV show.

P

paperplane

Like they say it takes a few brave souls who are willing to risk it all to get things to change. With this show he is for sure putting it all out there. He is either related to Eric Holder(LOL) or is extremely down for the movement! I will check the series out. Hopefully it shows the Medical Cannabis Industry in a positive light.

B

Bobby Stainless

Well Seamaiden, I thought this type of thing would happen....

(10-04) 18:12 PDT Oakland -- A leading Oakland marijuana dispensary was hit with a $2.5 million tax bill this week which may force its closure, dispensary staff said Tuesday.

Harborside Health Center owes the Internal Revenue Service back-taxes for 2007 and 2008, based on a federal law prohibiting marijuana dispensaries - unlike other businesses - from deducting payroll, insurance, rent, workers' compensation and other operating costs from its revenues.

"We think this assessment is unfair and inaccurate. We have no choice but to fight this," said Harborside executive director Steve DeAngelo. "I'm profoundly concerned on behalf of our patients."

IRS spokesman Jesse Weller had no comment on the case.

Harborside, one of the largest marijuana dispensaries in the world,
has 94,000 clients and last year posted $22 million in revenues.

In 2007 and 2008, the years under scrutiny by the IRS, Harborside
earned about $7 million and $12 million, respectively, DeAngelo said.

Other large dispensaries, including the Marin Alliance for Medical
Marijuana, have also been slammed with large tax bills.

The IRS also plans to audit Harborside's tax returns for 2009 and
2010, DeAngelo said.

"This is not an effort to tax us. We're happy to pay our taxes," he
said. "This is an effort to shut us down."

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
The guy made 22million in revenues last year, net or gross? He should be able to drum up 2.5 million you would think. I mean the guy has got to have capital, shit in the last five years sounds like he could afford to put away 500k a yr for a time just like this! Being in the biz he is, you would most def have a security blanket....He should pay the fine and chalk it up as doing business, and the fact that he is still open.
The way he mentions this could potentially shut them down is wild, with the profits they have he should come up level with the IRS, I'd imagine fighting the IRS with attorneys can cost about the same more or less and could take many years longer fighting IRS. Either way, it's ridic for the IRS to hassle em but personally I don't know if he didn't pay various taxes....fucked up stuff but seems like a dude of this caliber could stand up to IRS and hand them a check with a smile and keep them doors open!!

baba G

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I can't imagine how they would win a supreme court victory or something of the like, I mean how do you tell the IRS we all just following the rules when the whole biz is federally illegal???
And with the last few big supreme court decisions going straight to the pockets of corps, I would be shocked if he won. That being said, I do think he should challenge them but if that ends up with him getting his club shut down versus just paying to stay open...
I would side with pay to stay open so the patients can get accessible meds, but no matter what it's fucked the way the feds play. Sooner California is succeeded from the USA the sooner we can turn our state around! CA pays more taxes than it receives back to the state, we grow more food than most, and mmj, thinking we would have some great exports...lol

baba G

T

treehugger

hmm, that kind of bumble isn't usually keyboard enabled...

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
California would be the third biggest economic country in the world,if it were on it`s own! It has just about everything it would need as a country.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Bobby, I read about this. Not surprising, though I'm amazed that the audit took two years.

Top Bottom