Anyone have MS?

• Thread starter Motarebel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Motarebel

Motarebel

Trying to find out what the quality of life is for someone who suffers from this disease? Will medication help keep it from progressing or is it time to live it up while possible?

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

My sister has Lupus, Fibromylagia, and 2 years ago was also diagnosed with MS. To my knowledge, there is no stopping the advance, there may be a breakthrough from stem cell research, but that may be some time away. Don't ask me about her quality of life. She is in constant pain, shits in a bag, lost all her hair, and we can't even hug her unless she is medicated to the twilight zone because the mere touch, let alone the pressure of a hug, causes her serious agony. Most of that is due to the Lupus, not MS.

I called her and read her your question. Her response was:
Take the medications. You may not stop it, but you will most certainly slow it, and manage they sypmtoms somewhat. There are new treatments and breakthroughs all the time, possibly even more with the easing of restrictions on stem cell research. She also said one should always live it up whenever possible in addition to taking your meds.

P

pikes peak 69

There are several types of MS. My wife suffers from type R&R, relapse and remitting. For her it's more mental then physical. She also suffers from dementia. Fatigue is a big part of MS. I also agree to take some type of meds, my wife uses the original treatment of "Betaseron" it's the only med that has kept her from having exacerbations (flair ups). Pot also helps her with reducing muscle spasms and helping her sleep.

She also would say to life life to it's fullest everyday, you'll never know when it's going to end.

If we can help in anyway, please ask, it's a terrible disease but many life good lives after diagnoses.

Good Luck,
pp69 and wife

hubcap

hubcap

a very good friend of mine since high school has JUST been recently diagnosed with MS.
kids been an athelete all his life. a good one too.
lost MAD weight and as his body attacks his nerve endings in his brain he has PAINFUL tingling in all his limbs and clinches up for a minute or two til it subsides...
and hes JUST been diagnosed...at 37......hes got a LONG road ahead, and he knows, im here to help in anyway i can.

he tells me strong weed helps a lil but only if he can get a bong rip in before the pain gets too bad...hes gotta be quick about it.....

again, this all has just started happening within a month...
crazy. no one even knows what brings it on......

id be interested in ANY info pertaining to MJ and MS that any farmer or sufferer has.

thx in advance.

-farmer hub.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
I do not have MS, but I do have another progressive nerve / muscle related disease. Called Myotonic Dystrophy type 2. I also have Fibromyalgia and its related issues, Tzietzi Syndrome, IBS etc.

Most of my symptoms present as MS and I am on many anti spasmodics and AED's, fentanyl etc.

From this I have met and know (and lost) many a friend with MS. And I actively help others on these boards with medical queries, but mostly in private as it can be a very private thing.

But in essence, NO weed will not stop the progress of MS. It COULD only help with pain and stiffness and any med related issues such as appetite suppression from lots of opiates.

But mostly I would say that weed distracts one from pain. There are very few strains that seem to really work for these problems. Jacks Cleaner is the one that stands out. Absolutely everyone who is a medical user always wants this one. Its not that potent a smoke, taste is really quite nice but its no OG. But its the subtle muscle relaxing properties that people love.

One example of this is when the day gets on my muscles that control the lens in my eyes gets very tired and my vision starts to screw up. Now it normally takes a good spliff or 2 for this to rectify. But with JC I can see normally again only after a few tokes. Whilst feeling very little effect in terms of stoniness or high. VERY GOOD MEDICAL VALUE.

Please pm me if you think I can be of anymore help.

F

FastForward

Herb....you should consider writing an article for Treating Yourself.....I bet you have strain-specific MS (and related) canna knowledge that others would love to know (which strains you find particularly effective, like the JacksCleaner).

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks FF.

Funnily this is another reason why I have been less active recently. After the expo I was chillin with a few and I think it was Shanti that finally spurred me on to write something. And yes I will probably see if Marco will publish extracts of the book.

It is going to take me sometime, but I feel it will be invaluable to medical cannabis users.

hubcap

hubcap

you bring up a good point herbalizor, about the muscle relaxing properties and its benefit to MS sufferers...
im learning ALOT about this stuff as I go, for, this is new to me...
anyways....he says when an "attack" comes on, tingling starts then gets progressively worse, in all limbs... followed by spasms and muscle clinching. ive seen it first hand, for the first time about 2 weeks ago, and it scared me. im a former jarhead....i was scared. i didnt know what to do...
anyways, it would seem logical to me that strains with muscle relaxing properties would hafta be HIGH on an MS sufferers list......
ive seen em literally bent over not able to physically move even tho he says "hes trying." it literally locks em up......shakin and sweating and all. not fun.
and hes JUST been diagnosed.....
hes young and has a lifetime ahead of him to deal with this crippling disease.

keep these great tips coming folks, and i agree. if theres info or any other useful tips youve got, it would do the community a world of good to get this info out there....
and i applaud each and every one of your for it.
from marco, on down!

thx farmers.
compassion runs deep here. you can almost sense it reading thru the threads....

:handshake

L

LittleJ

I dont have MS but do have Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome and live in chronic pain. The only way to disrupt the progression of these illnesses is to get out of pain, and get your body to start healing using breathing techniques like biofeedback etc and take the cleanest mix of meds possible to maintain the pain. For FMS herb is an essential or no sleeping or eating etc., and also found 5htp and melatonin extremely helpful, and ofcorse opioids, and benzodiazapin in small doses along side Lexapro and my body has started the healing process. You have to stop the pain! The body can't heal when in pain! ut use caution when takin RX meds!!!

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
One of our newest co-op members came to us for a recent MS diagnosis. Her regular physician acctually wrote her recommendation. She has found the best relief from edibles or capsules. The only real thing i can say is the fact the the family and everyone around her has noticed a tremendous differecnce from taking MJ and not. Her days are much better and more consistant.

S

SnowCap

MS is basically the bodys own immune system attacking the protective sheaths (myelin) around the nerves, kind of like a electrical cord that is grounding out and frayed. The nerve impulses as they travel throughout the nervous system will ground out mid way before traveling back to the receptor causing extreme pain and muscle spasms to list but a small amount of symptoms.

Mota if you wanted to work a strain that was high CBD and lower THC with an increase in beneficial terpenes that have anti-inflammatory properties then this would be your best bet in providing a strain that could ease some of the suffering from MS patients.

Snow

I

ismokepot

My brother-in-law has been diagnosed with MS for nearly 20 years now. He continues to received cutting-edge med's and is doing ok. He lost tons of weight, exercises, still works, drives, etc. He stopped smoking pot/cigs many years ago. He has a great mindset, eats right and generally takes care of himself. Other then some slurring while speaking and a slow methodical walk, one couldn't tell. He refuses to smoke to reduce any discomfort he may experience.

H

headband707

I have an uncle that has it and we turned him onto Sativfex(SP) which worked well for him... There is different degrees of MS.. Hope all is well with you and yours peace out Headband707

Latest posts

Top Bottom