Anyone use Bloom silica ?

• Thread starter EveryOneSmokes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

Need a little help farmers... recently picked up some Bloom silica "yelllow bottle" which is a high concentrated silica... I usually use a lower concentrated silica with no problem but the Guy at the hydro store gave me fair warning about this stuff and the method of mixing it because of the possibility of locking out your nutrients...

I usually apply the silica at the and of my mix but now I've been told different. He mentioned to mix it first in pure ro water and then mix the nutes. The reasoning behind this was that the silica can oxidize and lockout your nutes, he also added that if ur mix turns milky it locked out your nutes.

I've tried it both way (first and last in the mix) but still get the milky mix...

My question has this happened before to you using this product and from experience what is the best method... also does the milky mix nutes mean that your nutes are locked out...

Added info.. I use gh 3 part, calmag, a1 humic/fulvic, a1 roots, hygrozyme and bene's...hand water

Ive used it twice so far and the plants look good... didn't seem to be affected by the milky mix

Info is appreciate...thanks

opt1c

opt1c

i don't really use anything that has poison stamped on the side of the bottle but thats just me.... dynagrow and dutch master are both 2ml/gal and seem to work fine for most people... how concentrated are you looking for?

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

I hear u about the posion stamp, it was kind of weird seeing it on the bottle but its derived the same as any other silica... the stamp is for precaution reason even Ph up and Down say the same thing . the label seems to have typos on it the org. Label said 51% silica.. this bottles says 21%...

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

Reason I think it has a typo is becuase the npk ratios on original
Bottle says 0-0-4 and new bottle says 0-0-31.2

squiggly

squiggly

If it gets milky this is more than likely a reaction (oxidation according to your hydro guy) which is producing an insoluble solid--which comes out of solution (and can't be taken in by roots).

I'd recommend a few things:

Try figuring out exactly which nute it is that's causing the milky reaction. Knowing that might help in preventing it. You can switch off using either nute back and forth in your regimen to avoid it.

Try to mix in a little sodium sulfate to prevent oxidation. This method is used in wines to preserve flavor. I believe concentration is usually something like 0.2% w/v but you can probably go lower and still get appreciable effect--I'm not sure what that would work out to in ppm--but it works out to about 100mg/L ~ 100ppm. This is all assuming that your hydro shop guy knows his chemistry, though.

Apply this nute separately during a later feeding.

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

It was The gh bloom which caused the oxidation...

GodZsoN

GodZsoN

Good stuff.. but poison stamped on it scared the shit out of me at first.. had to try it on my veggie garden first.. I use it at 1ml per 5 gallons cuz its soo flippin strong and mainly as a ph up.. it will last soo long..
almost forgot.. I mix it with about a half gallon of fresh clean ro water and add it last..

Peace,
GodZsoN

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

Thanks for the info everyone...

If it gets milky this is more than likely a reaction (oxidation according to your hydro guy) which is producing an insoluble solid--which comes out of solution (and can't be taken in by roots).

I'd recommend a few things:

Try figuring out exactly which nute it is that's causing the milky reaction. Knowing that might help in preventing it. You can switch off using either nute back and forth in your regimen to avoid it.

Try to mix in a little sodium sulfate to prevent oxidation. This method is used in wines to preserve flavor. I believe concentration is usually something like 0.2% w/v but you can probably go lower and still get appreciable effect--I'm not sure what that would work out to in ppm--but it works out to about 100mg/L ~ 100ppm. This is all assuming that your hydro shop guy knows his chemistry, though.

Apply this nute separately during a later feeding.

Sodium sulfate.. ill look in to this thanks for the info.

Good stuff.. but poison stamped on it scared the shit out of me at first.. had to try it on my veggie garden first.. I use it at 1ml per 5 gallons cuz its soo flippin strong and mainly as a ph up.. it will last soo long..
almost forgot.. I mix it with about a half gallon of fresh clean ro water and add it last..

Peace,
GodZsoN

I was thinking of cutting the recommended in half... usaually a good rule of thumb... was thinking That it maybe to much silicate concentration creating the oxidation with the other nutrients... was running a 20%silica with no issues, might try .5ml per gal and see if the oxidation occurs...

Have u ever noticed your mix turning cloudy/milky

A

areUkind

are you adding ph down after the slica?

youre suppose to add the silca first THEN add ph down to get it back in a ph7 range. Then you can add the rest of you nutes.

i use to use dyna grow slica and would get the cloudy rez mess no matter if i added it first or last but now that i use agricultural organics silca bloom, im saving money and no longer getting a cloudy rez.

this stuff works and i add anywhere to .5-1mlper gal which i think actually could be a bit strong but my plants LOVE it.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Is the cloudiness called floculation, or "falling out"? I also noticed it happening in combo with either Bud/Veg part B or cal/mag. I use bloom silica in veg and fasilitor in flower, but never see falling out with fasilitor, only potassium silicate. I add it first at 1 ml/g and let it mix for a while then part a, then roots, then part b, then cal/mag. That order seems to minimize any cloudyness from occurring.

When it clouds, what is falling out? The silicate or a form a potassium maybe?

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

i start with silica and then hit with botanicare cal mg
gets the ph under control and nothing falls out

then figure out what is making the silica fall out, and add that last

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

Is the cloudiness called floculation, or "falling out"? I also noticed it happening in combo with either Bud/Veg part B or cal/mag. I use bloom silica in veg and fasilitor in flower, but never see falling out with fasilitor, only potassium silicate. I add it first at 1 ml/g and let it mix for a while then part a, then roots, then part b, then cal/mag. That order seems to minimize any cloudyness from occurring.

When it clouds, what is falling out? The silicate or a form a potassium maybe?
Oxidation or falling out or locking out.. The camg tends to drop out of the solution when used at the end at the recommend dose.. Best way I figured out right after that was to apply to the clean water and ph down to 7 and apply the rest of the nutes.. Works good as hell for the price.. Also like the new gh silica, works very similar and i believe it's 10% silica.

Top Bottom