Anyone use Click or industrial PLC to control their spaces?

• Thread starter Smithers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

I use the sunsysyem control for my 2/630 LEC's which has some nice features and I have 2 Gavita master El1 and El2 controller for my sodiums I upgraded to the El2 it has aux capability for fans and such but I like that set up better than the sunsysyem but it's limited strictly to the Gavita line as I believe the sunsysyem is compatible with other lighting research them both the sunrise sunset and dimming features are AWSUME makes your lighting more like mother nature's and protects your investment for dying off due

GelatoBill

GelatoBill

I'm a plc hmi programmer with 40 yrs experience and will be retiring in September.
I've programmed Allen Bradley, Modicon, Siemens, Koyo, GE, and others. I can talk to you offline if you like.

Smithers

Smithers

I'm a plc hmi programmer with 40 yrs experience and will be retiring in September.
I've programmed Allen Bradley, Modicon, Siemens, Koyo, GE, and others. I can talk to you offline if you like.
Cool, I may hit you up once I’m further along. I don’t know the programming side. I’ve been a maintenance tech from the show up and troubleshoot side, and most times you can find your problem with a meter faster than a laptop. More than half of why I want this is to learn PLC code. It’s a gap I should close.

Would you have reasons to recommend one of the other brands? My works have used GE, Allen bradly, Omron. We did a lot with ABB and Fanuc. I’m not set on the brand I’m looking at, but the price point and modernness of it looks good.

The brand I end up with isn’t so important, but it’s gotta be cheap, and have free open software. Even better if there is an online open community for quick learning. I haven’t looked at the other brands yet, but I assume code on one is pretty similar to code on any other within reason.

Smithers

Smithers

Hey @Moe.Red what sensors do you use for your environments?

I posted a link to a temp+hum+co2 that has a few comm options. With those on a bus, I would really only need a handful of inputs and outputs to get started. I could remove a lot of my add-ons, or get them later. Probably cutting my cost nearly in half.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hey @Moe.Red what sensors do you use for your environments?

I posted a link to a temp+hum+co2 that has a few comm options. With those on a bus, I would really only need a handful of inputs and outputs to get started. I could remove a lot of my add-ons, or get them later. Probably cutting my cost nearly in half.
I'm not in man shop, I'll get you some links when I can get there.

They are all common parts available at Mouser, DigiKey, Newark, etc.

Smithers

Smithers

So, this garage of mine is larger than just the half of it I plan to convert. It needs a lot of junk cleaned out, and moved around. As part of this project, I'll be insulating the whole thing. I'm going to start a new thread for the progress at some point. The overall footprint is 16' x 24'. Like 10' ceiling about. I want to make a shop space, and a completely devided grow space. The layout can be really flexible- divided down the middle, front and back, two L shapes?...idk yet. I want to start semi-conservative with the indoor space because we plan to setup a greenhouse sometime in the next 2 years. But I want to splurge on controls. As you can tell at this point: I do NOT have all my plans in order. I'm writing mostly to remember my own ideas and to see if other people care to jump in. Thanks to all who have thus far 😀

This is certainly a long term project, and I will post a link when I have enough in order to start that thread. This control system will be multi-functional and eventually do much more than just grow.

Important note, this garage doesn't currently have power. I need to run new underground line out here as part of this project.
This is what I'm working with:
IMG 4456

IMG 4450

IMG 4452

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Im know that feeling.

Smithers

Smithers

Ok. Ok. I made some mistakes about the garage size... It's wrong in both dimensions, in real life it's 20'x18'. I needed to correct that before I forget.

Also, I made a new thread to track the more general project that this PLC is for, Smithers Garage Reno Project. You'll find it here:

Smithers

Smithers

So, in these videos it all looks easy sort of. I imagine reading one way data on Modbus for a chain of SCD30 sensors (temp/humidity/C02) to be not terrible, no need for his 2-way data. I imagine data logging to an SD card to be really easy after I get the sensor data. And putting into excel on my PC will work until I work on pushing data to a graph app later on...

Click Plus Modbus 2-way control of a temperature device:

Click Plus Data logging:

Smithers

Smithers

Oh, and on the SCD30 datasheet there is a warning that the sensors are easily damaged if not handled well. Later down there is a section that states the calibration pass percentages. Seems like >90% is all they can claim... makes me think for the very important locations like the large Flower room, and the Lung room to double up 2 sensors in the space. Then monitor for excessive deviations between them denoting failure, and otherwise average the readings.

SCD30 datasheet markup

Smithers

Smithers

Ok, I did some more reading and work on this over the past few days. Click is not going to work for me, because there is a higher tier option that is only marginally more expensive, same website. It's got features I want that Click doesn't have. Seems to have a better program language with tagging, more varied add-ons, and mainly can support PWM outputs for doing things like dimming LED lights. It can also support measuring motor encoders with hsc. It just doesn't have that wifi. 🔌

My humidity, temperature, and CO2 for each space should be measured by a sensor bus if I can get that to work, so I'll need to buy 2x sensors to test out before buying more.
I'll use the 8x DC inputs to measure states of things like switches or whatever for making decisions.
The 8x DC outputs will drive relays for the appliances and things to be controlled. I have 5x 6A relays. I will have to buy more relays, and additional DC output cards later too.
The analog input card will measure current with non-contact clamps around wires going to appliances to tell if they are using power. (I already have a pile of these clamps)

Still just playing with the idea of buying this, but I think it'll make for a very fun and powerful toy. To start out, this and 2 enviro sensors will be all I need to get the basics. And after that, it's just adding features to it forever. Maybe after a while it'll even help me get a better job than my last... lol

I like the idea of this online rack configure app screenshot for the price.
Productivity1000 Config

GelatoBill

GelatoBill

Ok, I did some more reading and work on this over the past few days. Click is not going to work for me, because there is a higher tier option that is only marginally more expensive, same website. It's got features I want that Click doesn't have. Seems to have a better program language with tagging, more varied add-ons, and mainly can support PWM outputs for doing things like dimming LED lights. It can also support measuring motor encoders with hsc. It just doesn't have that wifi. 🔌

My humidity, temperature, and CO2 for each space should be measured by a sensor bus if I can get that to work, so I'll need to buy 2x sensors to test out before buying more.
I'll use the 8x DC inputs to measure states of things like switches or whatever for making decisions.
The 8x DC outputs will drive relays for the appliances and things to be controlled. I have 5x 6A relays. I will have to buy more relays, and additional DC output cards later too.
The analog input card will measure current with non-contact clamps around wires going to appliances to tell if they are using power. (I already have a pile of these clamps)

Still just playing with the idea of buying this, but I think it'll make for a very fun and powerful toy. To start out, this and 2 enviro sensors will be all I need to get the basics. And after that, it's just adding features to it forever. Maybe after a while it'll even help me get a better job than my last... lol

I like the idea of this online rack configure app screenshot for the price.
View attachment 1135516
You might want to consider a Voltage/Current Analog module. Some things are 0-10vdc as well as 4-20ma. Each channel is configurable.

Smithers

Smithers

You might want to consider a Voltage/Current Analog module. Some things are 0-10vdc as well as 4-20ma. Each channel is configurable.
That’s a good point. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll have to look for those to compare. And check what I think I’ll be using needs.

I like if I want a new feature or something I overlooked, a lot of the cards are <$75. I can click another one on the side and keep building.

GelatoBill

GelatoBill

That’s a good point. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll have to look for those to compare. And check what I think I’ll be using needs.

I like if I want a new feature or something I overlooked, a lot of the cards are <$75. I can click another one on the side and keep building.
You can also use Modbus serial or Modbus TCP/IP to communicate with devices.

Smithers

Smithers

You can also use Modbus serial or Modbus TCP/IP to communicate with devices.
Thanks. I'm thinking of ordering two Modbus SCD30 sensors that do a combined temp/humidity/co2. After I can get the first 2 working in a chain, I'll purchase another couple to increase the available data. Or if they don't work well, I'll find another sensor to work with.

Smithers

Smithers

Only thing I'm waiting on to pull this trigger is our house sale money coming through. Damn closing is taking forever, can't be too much longer... Crossed 90 days since we entered contract a couple weeks ago. Tied up with the town doing who knows what. Must be busy 🤷‍♂️

I found a starter kit that has a bunch of stuff I think will help me follow the tutorials easier, at a good discount for whats in it. I only need these 2 other modules for my early plan, and unfortunately all of their Analog stuff is out of stock until like September anyway. I downloaded the software and am reading through... hard without the unit connected but it'll have to do for now.

The cart total! 🤣🤣

Productivity1000 Cart

Smithers

Smithers

Yeah. I’ll be doing soil to start out. Later I’d like to try hydro. But soil doesn’t require as much gear and it’s what Ives begun with

Top Bottom