Anyone use Click or industrial PLC to control their spaces?

• Thread starter Smithers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smithers

Smithers

So what grow setup are you going to run? Soil?
I meant to hit reply. But yeah, soil. Going to be running LED.
I’m not going to begin with using CO2, but I love the idea of monitoring it.

I’ve had to simplify my initial ideal plan for cost reasons, but I’ll be growing gear over time.

I have a good variety of seeds to try out in the next run, should be a lot of fun.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

My best advice for you having done this kinda thing is plan for failure. Software or something will come up mid grow and try to take a hunk out of your ass when you do a DIY from scratch.

Will you running this in parallel with standard control devices?

Smithers

Smithers

My best advice for you having done this kinda thing is plan for failure. Software or something will come up mid grow and try to take a hunk out of your ass when you do a DIY from scratch.

Will you running this in parallel with standard control devices?
Yeah, some failure is expected. It’s a great teacher, and I’m going to aim for a bunch of redundancy. However, I’m interested in learning to collect and react to data as much (or more) as I am interested in using it to grow.

I see the risk of me editing software live, and changing something accidentally and not know it. That’s probably the biggest concern. I’ll be bench simulating the project using indicators before making changes for real once I start gaining control. If I make a mistake, it will teach me to be more careful.

As for my plan. Im soon taking down my 4x4 room and building a new space. I’m planning to start again in a 5x9 room, and later filling out to another 5x11 room next to it.

In the beginning I’ll run the smaller room with my existing Inkbird temp/humidity sensors. No CO2. The A/C unit will run on its regular controls. Dehu, heater, humidifier, exhaust fan all run on the Inkbirds. Lights to be on the digital timer I have been using. I don’t have enough lights even for my existing 4x4, so I’ll be getting lights over time and starting small… nothing different with controls here from my last setup.

When I get the SCD30s to work and calibrated, I’ll start data logging the room. Then I’ll buy an analog mA input and start measuring and data logging the A/C and the Inkbird controlled devices with non-contact current clamps. I should be able to tell changes in current within the AC as it cycles, and the real power use of my devices, and graph duty cycles. I could calculate and display what % my lights are dimmed as well.

Once I can verify things are on/off, I might start transitioning control of the heater, dehu, humidifier, and lights to run on the PLC via external power relays while still measuring their current. This is where I start impacting the environment and can start making mistakes.

By this point I’ll be equipped with a lot of data on my room and a better handle on the ladder logic program. Finally I’d add CO2, and then create bells and whistles. Also work on shop projects that could use it.

Smithers

Smithers

And honestly, there isn’t much need to take over from the Inkbird controllers until I’d need to buy new stuff for the larger room, that’ll take time.

So it’ll start out a data logger in the beginning. And I can tinker from there with not much limit.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

My failure was wireless comms failing to control the lights properly, so I had a shitty grow where plants in flower would get 24 hour light from time to time and I didn't realize it. That sucked and was my fault.

Smithers

Smithers

I’ve never messed with wireless other than some Bluetooth that was finicky. I made a relay trigger to drop singular or multiple water droplets to be captured by SLR camera. I found a pre-made app and code online, modified it to do what I needed.

This worked for a few minutes at a time and would glitch out. The people on the two sets we did jobs with this, didn’t know anything. They all thought I was a wizard. I was working pretty hard to keep it together. Wireless is hard.

DED86690 8928 481C B035 1E782E47EF02

347D1204 256B 4C3A 888C 09894EE729A6

CE666E7D 0661 40A2 BBFD 483D99985EE0
A29829D0 90AF 4E63 B543 B6537146100A
6364CA2B EA16 4015 934C 883F881D2881

I bought 3 or 4 zigbee units, just before I shelved the sfx side work. I want to do something with them, don’t know what. Ive got a lot of things laying around waiting.

I hope I don’t do something dumb like impacting my grow. I’m sure I will 🤣

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I did not read the entire thread.
I am building a 4x4 with sensors built in to it. On the outside of the door will be a cheap tablet WIFI'ed to my main system.
2 cameras, environmental sensors. I can check it without opening the door and possibly contaminating the plants.

Smithers

Smithers

I did not read the entire thread.
I am building a 4x4 with sensors built in to it. On the outside of the door will be a cheap tablet WIFI'ed to my main system.
2 cameras, environmental sensors. I can check it without opening the door and possibly contaminating the plants.
I punched a hole for my Inkbird cables to go through into the room 4x4 I use now. The readouts are mounted outside so I can see without entering. I taped over the hole for light leaks. I think it’s a good idea to see from outside too. Good luck making a space 😀

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I was very much into computers and stuff 30 years ago. LOL It's changed, but its still the same.
I always look for the simplest method to accomplish my goal. Programming a new system is not a simple task.
If I can utilize existing hardware and software, then so much the better. ASM8088 and 8086 is not my idea of a relaxing day.

Smithers

Smithers

I was very much into computers and stuff 30 years ago. LOL It's changed, but its still the same.
I always look for the simplest method to accomplish my goal. Programming a new system is not a simple task.
If I can utilize existing hardware and software, then so much the better. ASM8088 and 8086 is not my idea of a relaxing day.
Yeah. I learned on the HC08. Brutal. Arduino, less brutal but still hard. Low level is hard for me.

But I want to keep my skills advancing, and leverage skills gained for better work opportunities. This can get me jobs later.

Plus the controllers I can buy for growing lack features I want out of them.

Smithers

Smithers

My failure was wireless comms failing to control the lights properly, so I had a shitty grow where plants in flower would get 24 hour light from time to time and I didn't realize it. That sucked and was my fault.
That sucks that it messed up your grow. What was the outcome? Did they re-veg? Or just way low yield? It’s an awful feeling to make a dumb mistake and watch the aftermath. Especially when you know it was only you.

I’m not a huge fan of wireless from my experience so far. But I hope to get more into it later.

Smithers

Smithers

Made a few other controllers on the side for effects and sculpture.
This is inside a Foucault pendulum
36D49F76 CCB7 416C 8CE4 12E2036C20CD

3D6B466B EE84 4E3B 9ADC 603995CE6CFE
1ED969E7 0BBE 4FC3 9DA9 A95A08C8B88C

469A5181 150A 4A54 BFBB 49569534B176

This 8-axis motor controller has a nice CNC controller repurposed called the Mantis II. Has nice GUI for acceleration and triggers.
D3EE7311 245F 43DA 9FB0 AFECFC6E6448

CF6E09F3 0021 4B93 B8F1 85CBA8E896E7

See. I’m pretty obsessed with this stuff.
🤖 🥸🤪

Smithers

Smithers

Film set with some robots and the above drop and motor controllers.
0FED9405 99C3 4524 BE6D 564E8FEA8A9C

Last edited:
Top Bottom