Anyone using quartz heating bulbs in grow tent?

• Thread starter Badvibes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Badvibes

I have a 2x2x5 tent and I’m wondering if one of these quartz bulbs like in a reptile aquarium would raise the heat inside the tent to an acceptable level? They come in several wattages from 50-250w and I have no idea what size would give enough heat. Does anyone see a downside that I’m not seeing other than keeping flammable materials a safe distance.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'd have to think about this a little, but other than fire potential, those throw out a ton of infared. Possibly even into the far red spectrum. This can impact the plant, so it would be kinda cool to experiment and see if there is light hitting one plant but not another, what are the effects? You may need to fashion some sort of shade if the effects are detrimental.

Also you will need to turn off when the lights go out. Hopefully you do not need heat at night.

B

Badvibes

I'd have to think about this a little, but other than fire potential, those throw out a ton of infared. Possibly even into the far red spectrum. This can impact the plant, so it would be kinda cool to experiment and see if there is light hitting one plant but not another, what are the effects? You may need to fashion some sort of shade if the effects are detrimental.

Also you will need to turn off when the lights go out. Hopefully you do not need heat at night.
Thanks so much for your response and input. I never thought about the infared issue and the ones for reptiles supposedly put off no light to avoid disturbing the reptile. I would think there would at least be a glow. I’m pretty green on light spectrum issues so the far red spectrum would not be good. I only grow autos in my tiny tent and always looking to minimize equipment around and inside the tent. You said I need to turn it off when lights go off. Is this because of the light issue if growing photos or is there another reason. I appreciate your help

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Maybe post a link to the heater you are talking about? What I have in mind may be wrong - I'm thinking of a quartz heater where you can see the orange glow.

As far as far red, no it is not bad per say. I actually supplement with far red on purpose - because of it's plant steering qualities. I'm just raising the point because it does in fact effect the plant in measurable ways which may be positive or negative depending on what you are trying to do.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Maybe post a link to the heater you are talking about? What I have in mind may be wrong - I'm thinking of a quartz heater where you can see the orange glow.

As far as far red, no it is not bad per say. I actually supplement with far red on purpose - because of it's plant steering qualities. I'm just raising the point because it does in fact effect the plant in measurable ways which may be positive or negative depending on what you are trying to do.
Having my grow in the basement I've always had heat from my hps but now with led lights I've had to add heat. I bought a 1500w radiator ....expensive to run...I've been using a 100 w heat lamp in my veg closet wired to the timer and that gets my temps up where I want with only 100w.......I was asking this question yesterday about replacing my heater for a 100 w heat lamp and what effect that would have on the plants in flower. cdn price

B

Badvibes

I’m embarrassed that I don’t know how to post links from my Amazon or anywhere else for that matter. I know the heaters you’re talking about and that’s not it. what this is is a 8.5 in reflector, clamp on light fixture with a 150w quartz bulb. Thanks for more info on the red spectrum. In investigating further I’m seeing lots of negative reviews on all the brands. Seems the have a propensity to short out and cause fires.

B

Badvibes

Having my grow in the basement I've always had heat from my hps but now with led lights I've had to add heat. I bought a 1500w radiator ....expensive to run...I've been using a 100 w heat lamp in my veg closet wired to the timer and that gets my temps up where I want with only 100w.......I was asking this question yesterday about replacing my heater for a 100 w heat lamp and what effect that would have on the plants in flower. cdn price
View attachment 1230966
Thanks for responding and I appreciate the link. I’m going to check it out.
Honeywell HCE100RCD1 HeatBud Personal Ceramic Heater, Red https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00LXB1FWW/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_P436EST3JPWT7ZG1VFH8 doesn't cost a lot
I’ve looked at that one and it’s in consideration. Thanks for your help.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

View attachment 1230966
Based on the other ones posted seems like no light issues. That one tho I would think it emits a fair amount. You gonna run it? Curious how that does.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Based on the other ones posted seems like no light issues. That one tho I would think it emits a fair amount. You gonna run it? Curious how that does.
I'm going to need something a 1500w heater is too much.....I don't think the light emitted will be much of an issue up high in the tent pointing towards the center. I just have to order one and check it out for myself.. I can probably put it on a dimmer if I need to cool it down some.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm going to need something a 1500w heater is too much.....I don't think the light emitted will be much of an issue up high in the tent pointing towards the center. I just have to order one and check it out for myself.. I can probably put it on a dimmer if I need to cool it down some.
If you only ran during lights on no issues. If too hot you could control it with any temp controller.

Ponky

Ponky

Inkbird makes a temperature controller. Toss that small red heater on it. Cheap. I'm sure they would even offer you a discount coupon code if you asked them to.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
If you only ran during lights on no issues. If too hot you could control it with any temp controller.
Lights off it gets down to house temp 67 -68f but without added heat that is my temp in the basement with led lights on.. My 1000w hps took care of my needed heat prior to this grow so I'm just trying to work it all out.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Wanna do some math and figure it out? Up there in the great white north 1 might not be enough during the winter. But with a few data points we could figure it out before you order.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Lights off it gets down to house temp 67 -68f but without added heat that is my temp in the basement with led lights on.. My 1000w hps took care of my needed heat prior to this grow so I'm just trying to work it all out.
We posted at the same time. ;)

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Can you give me links to the 2 lights and what size is the room. What were your temps with hid?

Top Bottom