APEKs Supercritical CO2 Extraction Equipment - reviews?

• Thread starter BubbaG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheCO2Way

O Apeks. So if you have an "auto" Apeks ONE of the problems is the programing in the recovery. Other than the fact it takes 2hrs to recover, the program lets the sep go to 450psi; this is what is causing a large portion of your carryover problems. Until you can get them to update your program to remain below 300psi during recovery try lowering your chiller temp. This will add some time to recovery, but it is preferred over rebuilding the pump every 25 hrs.

Some of you had said how unhelpful Apeks is. Agreed! Here is how it goes:
1- are you using a siphon tank
2-maybe direction of the orifice is wrong check that
3-chiller temp
4-are you using the same material
5-you could add another filter
6-yeah seals go out they will need to be replaced

all that on the first handful hrs of running (5L 5000psi). Must be operator error. Doesn't help when their tec guys fuck up and then point fingers at you.

I have run Apeks for years- the Apeks 5L-1500 not automated, 20L-1500 not auto, 5L-1500 auto, 5L-5000 auto and they treat me the same. I apeks was my only option I would go with the 1500psi not auto. A better machine is the Waters unit, which i have run too.

One problem is they feel they know best for a plant they hate and can't even beta test (sorry hops is close but still way different). Unwilling to take recommendations for changes based on science b/c that would take soooo much programing.

I haven't had the chance to run Eden's models though I feel Eden has great forward thinking and will continue to grow and develop, but I see Apeks going away.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Well.... since Eden never responded to my RFQ, or maybe they did lol..... there was a few days where I was being spammed by a robo-dialer with a Pakistani sounding (no-offense, what it sounded like to me and I work with engineers from India and Pakistan regularly) voice that kept asking for the Owner but would hang up when I'd ask who's calling.... nah I don't think that was them :p

4 hours huh? I'm curious, bro, cause what you are saying sounds too good to be true to me.... I expect I know what the deal is though... what temperatures does the Eden equipment run at?

The difference between pumping liquid and gas. [email protected] has shared some impressive extracts, which I would encourage you to discuss with him.

Ask him about fractionating on the way down.

B

BayAreaFamer

O Apeks. So if you have an "auto" Apeks ONE of the problems is the programing in the recovery. Other than the fact it takes 2hrs to recover, the program lets the sep go to 450psi; this is what is causing a large portion of your carryover problems. Until you can get them to update your program to remain below 300psi during recovery try lowering your chiller temp. This will add some time to recovery, but it is preferred over rebuilding the pump every 25 hrs.

Some of you had said how unhelpful Apeks is. Agreed! Here is how it goes:
1- are you using a siphon tank
2-maybe direction of the orifice is wrong check that
3-chiller temp
4-are you using the same material
5-you could add another filter
6-yeah seals go out they will need to be replaced

all that on the first handful hrs of running (5L 5000psi). Must be operator error. Doesn't help when their tec guys fuck up and then point fingers at you.

I have run Apeks for years- the Apeks 5L-1500 not automated, 20L-1500 not auto, 5L-1500 auto, 5L-5000 auto and they treat me the same. I apeks was my only option I would go with the 1500psi not auto. A better machine is the Waters unit, which i have run too.

One problem is they feel they know best for a plant they hate and can't even beta test (sorry hops is close but still way different). Unwilling to take recommendations for changes based on science b/c that would take soooo much programing.

I haven't had the chance to run Eden's models though I feel Eden has great forward thinking and will continue to grow and develop, but I see Apeks going away.

Yes I was having all of these same issues, but when I asked one of their tech guys which type of CO2 to use they told me a non siphon tube. And he then began to tell me to try both. This machine should be sold with BETA in the title, they are using their customers to do their R&D.

T

Tedbedhead

http://ocolabs.com/?gclid=CJ_39ayvisMCFejyMgodO38Afg

You guys seen these? Table top set up only 3200. Looks pretty sweet for small scaleView attachment 474555
I have one for sale $2600 if youre intrested

BubbaG

BubbaG

Sorry bro, I'm getting my product ran at 15%+ yields closed loop well purged butane extraction, no reason for me to get a machine now....

Osler530

Osler530

Not true. I have an EDEN LABS machine and the pump failed on the second run. They had to replace it. I am on my 6th run and the pump is failing again. Not operator error. Pretty damn frustrating.
Interesting. I've consulted on Eden equipment for almost 3 years now and I've never heard of the new pump breaking. Do you have one of their gas booster systems? Those are notoriously bad.
Any problems with the high flow 20litre systems from Eden not being able to hold temp from the neslab chiller. Tried adjustments in temps, pressures, flow rates for chiller pump. Just not holding temps to keep CO2 liquid. Should be what I expect from a 12+ year old chiller that was delivered with a 100g+ unit. Frustrated beyond belief!!!!!

J

Jim Durward

Any problems with the high flow 20litre systems from Eden not being able to hold temp from the neslab chiller. Tried adjustments in temps, pressures, flow rates for chiller pump. Just not holding temps to keep CO2 liquid. Should be what I expect from a 12+ year old chiller that was delivered with a 100g+ unit. Frustrated beyond belief!!!!!

Please forgiove the shameless plug (I am associated) - I do this because it seems it's relevant to the discussion - maybe take a look at www.criticalco2ltd.com

Last edited:
G

gt pureweed

Run an Apeks 1500-20L Automated with a Haskel Gas Booster, average around 10-13% yields.

Gas Booster is a bitch..but 10 minutes of quick glance at the top piston to check rings/gaskets. Pretty happy with it. Only really profitable if trim is free or cheap going into the machine or a refined secondary process. Lots of different products can be made though.

WP 20150925 005
Terps Cannatonic
WP 20151113 004
WP 20151112 010
G

gt pureweed

Looking down the Separator tube of an Apeks 1500-20L after a run.

WP 20150930 011
G

gt pureweed

Girl Scout Cookie Raw Oil extract (highly rich in terpene).

InstagramCapture 2e511ccb cc10 478c 90b0 9be4db59550f
J

Jim Durward

Looking down the Separator tube of an Apeks 1500-20L after a run.

Very interesting stuff. Would you please explain what is shown? Is the golden material just residual after an extraction run or is it the full result? There seems to be a "spiral" pattern down the tube-does this have anything to do with removing the extract from the tube?

T

terpidude

That looks fantastic pureweed, would you mind sharing you methods with regards to pressure and temperature? Is the Raw oil sub-critical? I've heard about water problems with the Apeks unit and their techs seem to have... a tentative grasp of the physical science involved.
Girl Scout Cookie Raw Oil extract (highly rich in terpene).

Appreciate your insights!

G

gt pureweed

Very interesting stuff. Would you please explain what is shown? Is the golden material just residual after an extraction run or is it the full result? There seems to be a "spiral" pattern down the tube-does this have anything to do with removing the extract from the tube?

Picture is the end of extraction run. Waxes/THC/CBDs stuck on the side wall. The collection at the bottom was already pulled off. The spiral look will let you know you have your orifice pointed at the correct angle in the separator. It helps with cyclic effect and thus better separation, and less oil carry over that could end up in your pump. Should see an increase in your yields. Consult the Apeks system manual for a diagram /example of the orifice angle direction.

G

gt pureweed

That looks fantastic pureweed, would you mind sharing you methods with regards to pressure and temperature? Is the Raw oil sub-critical? I've heard about water problems with the Apeks unit and their techs seem to have... a tentative grasp of the physical science involved.

Appreciate your insights!

The water is actually more of a hydrosol after extraction. It will have a more milky look to it, you can smell the pinene terpene, and if you were to taste it, you would taste the nuttiness pine flavor ... and it wont go away for several hours. Don't run material that still has moisture...the higher the moisture content the more water molecules that are still in that material. CO2 is hydrophobic...so where there is water...there wont be extraction so to speak..not until you squeeze out all the water too. If anything increase run times or run material again to suck the last amount of wax after you get the hydros out.

T

terpidude

The water is actually more of a hydrosol after extraction. It will have a more milky look to it, you can smell the pinene terpene, and if you were to taste it, you would taste the nuttiness pine flavor ... and it wont go away for several hours. Don't run material that still has moisture...the higher the moisture content the more water molecules that are still in that material. CO2 is hydrophobic...so where there is water...there wont be extraction so to speak..not until you squeeze out all the water too. If anything increase run times or run material again to suck the last amount of wax after you get the hydros out.
Thank you! It sounds like I may need to focus on some kind of separation afterwards. I have a unit on the way! Would you mind if I PM'd you with questions at some point down the road? You're more learned than their salespeople.

Thank you again for the advice! Keep up the good work.

G

gt pureweed

We just separate hydrosols if we get any as the wax extract warms up after harvesting. The hydrosols will usually be at the bottom, you can syringe them out or just stir and pour them out, trying not to lose any of the wax/oil.

Your "water" when tested may look like this.....(and these hydrosols were not fresh when tested, maybe 2 months old sitting in fridge).

OGKush hydros
Top Bottom