Aphid’s won’t go away.

• Thread starter Ak310
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Snaggleroots

Snaggleroots

Hello, I used aphids in r&d for a few years. I would use predatory bugs and fungi- lacewing, lady bugs, mantids,and a small stick like insect thats native here for the soil line and above. Then nematodes and Beauveria bassiana for below the surface. I noticed the soil aphids would build a resistance to the fungi through the generations though.
These plants were all infected in veg and cleaned up for a breeding project. We were looking into different triggers and if we could cause a natural defense and would that in turn be passed to the progeny. Fun stuff.
If you see them and you say I'll do it tomorrow, you'll likely never get ahead of them. Best is to be proactive and set an ipm up that works in your area. I always run positive flow rooms unless breeding.

JerryGarcia

JerryGarcia

I dealt with aphids last year. I kept them at bay by squishing them and blasting them off with water. Neem did nothing (I picked a leaf full of aphids, sprayed it and put it in a plastic baggie...24 hours later they were still alive). To be honest, I don't think they hurt me much, if at all.

CF89

CF89

Seems like lacewings are the way to go. That’s twice I’ve heard that from pretty reputable people...

$40 for lacewings and be done with it.

If I added it up I bet I’m $150 deep in neem, sprayers, DE, spinosodal soap, ladybugs, etc...

95FE927B 6618 48D9 B3C9 5CF8FBCF9EA5
FFFFBAE8 6F52 49AF A0B0 581B4294DD50
CF89

CF89

DE earth your plants.

How? I sprinkled lot all over my soil a few times now and didn’t seem to do much. Also I’ve heard in a few places that people stopped using that stuff altogether as it’s very bad to breathe.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Lacewing larvae are "aphid lions". They eat the fuck outta them...borax and corn syrup will take care of the ants...roach killer is usually borax!!

Spinosad in the soil not just sprayed on the plants. It can be used as a systemic as well

Ak310

Ak310

Ladybug’s for the win. I got 3,000 of them at my local garden center. They ate the fuck out of all of them in about a hour.

CF89

CF89

I think the lady bugs ate mine too. I sure couldn’t find many.

so now you’ve got 3000 dead ladybugs everywhere and 30,000 ladybug poops?

I also added some green lacewing but nit sure if they’re even needed anymore that the aphid numbers are so low. Finally. After fighting them for two months.

Ak310

Ak310

I think the lady bugs ate mine too. I sure couldn’t find many.

so now you’ve got 3000 dead ladybugs everywhere and 30,000 ladybug poops?

I also added some green lacewing but nit sure if they’re even needed anymore that the aphid numbers are so low. Finally. After fighting them for two months.
It’s a outdoor crop. I got the lacewings also. But I have not received them yet. Same here had them for a couple months. Nothing worked. Fight nature with nature.

Top Bottom