Aqua Man's first grow diary

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Aquaman can’t use anything but water, it’s your super power.
Ok since this is my diary I'm gonna tell you all a story.

I fuckin hate super heros lmao... Yup hate batman, spiderman and all the sorts. I had over 20 years breeding fish and aquatic plants that I used to sell to the pet stores. So that why I immediately went into hydro. I understand water. Ergo the name Aqua man... Not Aquaman like the super hero. Infact I didn't know there was such a super hero until the movie... I felt kinda retarded ( for you PC folks "special") after. My wife had a good laugh at me when I told her and even she knew who Aquaman is. 😕

I chose the name for my love of aquatics.

So there ya have it the not so super super hero. Lmao

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I fuckin hate super heros lmao... Yup hate batman, spiderman and all the sorts. I had over 20 years breeding fish and aquatic plants that I used to sell to the pet stores. So that why I immediately went into hydro. I understand water. Ergo the name Aqua man... Not Aquaman like the super hero. Infact I didn't know there was such a super hero until the movie... I felt kinda retarded ( for you PC folks "special") after. My wife had a good laugh at me when I told her and even she knew who Aquaman is. 😕

I will try to pretend its short for Aquatic Man.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok got some cleaning done today. Think my hydrogaurd is expired shit costs me $100 litre to get up here. So gonna run what I got left and hope. If I end up treating rot then that's the chance I take. Gonna start the beans on Monday night. That will give me more than enough time to get it ready but won't have my denitrifying bacteria ready by then so gonna see if some buddy's can give me a seed filter to jumpstart my system. Wasn't planning to go this long between runs and I didn't do anything to keep them going.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Shit, im just seeing this. I want a seat too! Cant wait to see how this goes. Like the setup, as far as where you go with it, i guess that will be the next chapter of the story and im eager to see.
Commenting for the notifications also. :D

Chris Mullen

Chris Mullen

Bat

Cover up your identity i like it aquaman😎😉

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Ok got some cleaning done today. Think my hydrogaurd is expired shit costs me $100 litre to get up here. So gonna run what I got left and hope. If I end up treating rot then that's the chance I take. Gonna start the beans on Monday night. That will give me more than enough time to get it ready but won't have my denitrifying bacteria ready by then so gonna see if some buddy's can give me a seed filter to jumpstart my system. Wasn't planning to go this long between runs and I didn't do anything to keep them going.
You could run a sterile system instead.

Indiva710

Indiva710

I run sterile for rdwc it's thee only way IMO as Bennie's are a waste in a hydro setup...Try out some pool shock it's what I been running since I ran out of uc roots and see zero diff so works for me.... Not sure if u have room to veg for the 5-6wks til they sex however males tend to around wk4 so u could pull those and risk the others all being female or wait and then transplant into the system...If u have the room just do a 27gal Dwc or bigger I'f u have the room and go from there..I use my aero cloner w 2in net pots and or I use no pot w a root riot cube and a reg clone collar which works great as well And then you can keep your netpots too most likely..Or u could go rockwool cubes in a tray w perlite until they sex too and then trNsplant that way could even take part of the cube off too if needed...
When I use my root riot cubes I make a slit in one side and then use a plant tie to seal it up and then u can remove the cube easy for the cloner too if not...I used to do the small net pots and hydroton and it works but pretty much always will be replacing the net pots either the roots will break them or deform the shit out of them too...
I am too shocked that this is ur first grow journal wow well welcome to the club finally lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok dropped 6 citrol sledgehammer in a glass of distilled water 1 min ago. 16-18 hrs then into the paper towel. Will be keeping 4 that will go into jiffy pellets. Got the wrong ones since I ordered off Amazon :/ so it begins. Still a fair bit of cleaning I need to get done before anything goes in that room but now I have no choice but to get off my ass and get it finished.

IMG 20191118 175334
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I run sterile for rdwc it's thee only way IMO as Bennie's are a waste in a hydro setup...Try out some pool shock it's what I been running since I ran out of uc roots and see zero diff so works for me.... Not sure if u have room to veg for the 5-6wks til they sex however males tend to around wk4 so u could pull those and risk the others all being female or wait and then transplant into the system...If u have the room just do a 27gal Dwc or bigger I'f u have the room and go from there..I use my aero cloner w 2in net pots and or I use no pot w a root riot cube and a reg clone collar which works great as well And then you can keep your netpots too most likely..Or u could go rockwool cubes in a tray w perlite until they sex too and then trNsplant that way could even take part of the cube off too if needed...
When I use my root riot cubes I make a slit in one side and then use a plant tie to seal it up and then u can remove the cube easy for the cloner too if not...I used to do the small net pots and hydroton and it works but pretty much always will be replacing the net pots either the roots will break them or deform the shit out of them too...
I am too shocked that this is ur first grow journal wow well welcome to the club finally lol
I was almost going sterile but im gonna give cannazyme a go... @chemistry convinced me. I have to admit stepping away from hydrogaurd has me feeling uncomfortable. I don't use it the whole grow pretty much just until flower but hydrogaurd ($100 a quart in Canada) has been very good to me the cost is just... well worth it if cannazyme doesn't work. I will also be seeding denitrifying bacteria as soon as i get my system cleaning finished. Was pretty nasty after my lazy ass left it stagnant for quite a while now. I can veg (by veg i mean after seedling stage which is about 10-14 days for me from the time i plop em in water) for about 3.5 weeks. Its only a 4x4 footprint and no room for anything hangin over since walls. I still need to pick up a new dehey as mine is questionable at this point. The compressor work sometimes and doesn't others. Also need to refil my Co2 tanks. With this new controller i haven't run it with a full take yet ( i have a 20lb and 10lb) I think no doubt i can do this grow on a 20lb tank its 9-10 weeker.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

OK equipment

HLG 600 V1 3000k with potentiometer 60W to 620W
Digital 15amp timer for light. ( CAUSE FUCK THOSE LITTLE PUSH PULL TAB TIMERS!!!!)
Autopilot APC8200 CO2 controller
10lb and 20lb Co2 tank
200W aquarium heater
300W space heater
8000BTU window AC
Cloudline S4, 4" 205 CFM fan (for circulation and scrubber)
Phresh 12x4" 200cfm carbon filter
Vivosun 6" clip on fan for above canopy (on the fence with these this is my second one but when working is awesome)
50 pint Noma dehumidifier (junk do not buy these and I will be replacing)
3L Ultrasonic humidifier (pain in the ass for the first 2 weeks to keep filled up will likely upgrade next grow)
Jiffy pellets
hydroton
6" Net pots
950 GPH air pump
5 Vivosun 4x2" air stones
Inkbirk 310T programmable temp controller
Inkbird Humidity controller will be looking to upgrade for option to have day and night humidity)
Eheim 2013 canister filter (With ceramic and filter foam for bacteria playground)
4x4' scrog net made from 1" PVC 3x3" squares.
4 Site RDWC DIY 5 gal per site and 20 gal res with 2" feed and 1" return
120 gph inline pump can't remember the brand
HM tds/ec meter (with 1000ppm calibration solution)
Cheap ass ph meter (with calibration solution

Nutrients:
Mega Crop
Magnesium Sulfate
Phosphoric acid

Possible nutrients depending on plant needs:
Calimagic Cal/Mg
Calcium/magnesium nitrate
Monopotassium Phosphate
Potassium bicarbonate
Calcium/Magnesium sulfate
sodium bicarbonate

Tap water at 120ppm moderate carbonate and bicarbonate so will probably add a little potassium bicarbonate until my nutes get over 300ppm

Seeds are not temp controlled for soak 16-18 hrs then into paper towel between 2 plates. Once i place em in the jiffys the will go into the room at 80F under a dome with the vents open. rather than keep the grow area at 80% humidity. That will be probably about 2 days from now.

Going to update weekly with longer posts rather then do this more often.

Last edited:
FourthCity

FourthCity

I have regular seeds so by the time I can sex em if I go RDWC I may have to rip some some out. I was contemplating soil removing the RDWC system and planting more to accommodate. But after seeing growth rates in my first soil grow its discouraging. It sure is easy as hell but so much slower.

I was thinking possibly soiless to meet in the middle but thats even more work than my RDWC with purchasing everything to go that route.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated? What would people like to see and why?
Since you have the space and you are worried about males why not start them in individual dwc buckets, then once you know their sexes set the rdwc back up with however many females you get. You shouldnt even encounter any transplant shock this way as you would literally just be moving the lids to different buckets. You could even dump the individual buckets into the rdwc res when you to the transfer to keep you microbial ecosystem intact. This would require minimal investment (im betting you have some of what you need lying around already) and would allow you to keep growing in the style that gives you the best results.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Since you have the space and you are worried about males why not start them in individual dwc buckets, then once you know their sexes set the rdwc back up with however many females you get. You shouldnt even encounter any transplant shock this way as you would literally just be moving the lids to different buckets. You could even dump the individual buckets into the rdwc res when you to the transfer to keep you microbial ecosystem intact. This would require minimal investment (im betting you have some of what you need lying around already) and would allow you to keep growing in the style that gives you the best results.
No space in that room and no suitable space outside it. But yeah that would be nice to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom