Status
Not open for further replies.
beluga

beluga

jamo.jpg

Now we're talking....

Vesti Bule

Vesti Bule

He always has that dumb grin on his face that to me says: "Yea, I have no business calling myself an actor, but y'all keep watching my shit, so I'll keep cashing the checks."

And by "he" I mean Aquaman, not Aquaman - just to avoid any confusion.

I teach world music to music majors in a university school of music, and have actually used footage of Momoa performing the Haka as a way of showing how easily non-western musical traditions can be insinuated in some fashion with our "everyday" pop culture. It's really useful in discussing the difference between "cultural appropriation" and "homage"...but that is a topic for a different kind of forum altogether...

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
He always has that dumb grin on his face that to me says: "Yea, I have no business calling myself an actor, but y'all keep watching my shit, so I'll keep cashing the checks."

I teach world music to music majors in a university school of music, and have actually used footage of Momoa performing the Haka as a way of showing how easily non-western musical traditions can be insinuated in some fashion with our "everyday" pop culture. It's really useful in discussing the difference between "cultural appropriation" and "homage"...but that is a topic for a different kind of forum altogether...

A swirl of references vs interrogating and pulling apart said references for something new. Joyce vs Beckett in lit. With music idk how that would work but it sounds interesting.

Vesti Bule

Vesti Bule

A swirl of references vs interrogating and pulling apart said references for something new. Joyce vs Beckett in lit. With music idk how that would work but it sounds interesting.
Refashioning old material into new, one way or another, that's at least as typical for most of Western music as for literature. The postmoderns you mention (or whatever we're supposed to call them) have some general corollaries in composers like Charles Ives, George Antheil, and later Cage, Stockhausen, Glass, etc. Not exact parallels, but musical responses to the same general trends driving all art.

To use a weed analogy - in kind of a weird way (or maybe not that weird at all) we could think of practically anything we hear as a kind of "polyhybrid" strain of music.

sambapati

sambapati

Respect to the teacher, great that you are shaping young hearts and minds through music.

beluga

beluga

Refashioning old material into new, one way or another, that's at least as typical for most of Western music as for literature. The postmoderns you mention (or whatever we're supposed to call them) have some general corollaries in composers like Charles Ives, George Antheil, and later Cage, Stockhausen, Glass, etc. Not exact parallels, but musical responses to the same general trends driving all art.

To use a weed analogy - in kind of a weird way (or maybe not that weird at all) we could think of practically anything we hear as a kind of "polyhybrid" strain of music.

But on a serious note, since you mention Glass and I assume you mean Philip.
Ravi Shankar and he made that album by (if I'm not mistaken) taking each other's compositions and making their own arrangements.
It's fucking phenomenal.
The bridge between raga and electronic contemporary classical music is excellent.
Bela Fleck also comes to mind... those bluegrass boys know how to blend the world of music together.

Vesti Bule

Vesti Bule

But on a serious note, since you mention Glass and I assume you mean Philip.
Ravi Shankar and he made that album by (if I'm not mistaken) taking each other's compositions and making their own arrangements.
It's fucking phenomenal.
The bridge between raga and electronic contemporary classical music is excellent.
Bela Fleck also comes to mind... those bluegrass boys know how to blend the world of music together.
Yea, that's some really fascinating stuff. Once Western culture got over itself a little bit and stopped thinking in strictly "highbrow/classical" vs "lowbrow/everything else" terms a lot of room opened up for some really interesting work.

Also, never really thought about this, but we give so much attention to environmental factors like temps, RH, air quality, light spectrum, etc - I wonder if the gals get any acoustic or sound/music related benefits.

Do I recall correctly that AquaMan has some musical chops?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yea, that's some really fascinating stuff. Once Western culture got over itself a little bit and stopped thinking in strictly "highbrow/classical" vs "lowbrow/everything else" terms a lot of room opened up for some really interesting work.

Also, never really thought about this, but we give so much attention to environmental factors like temps, RH, air quality, light spectrum, etc - I wonder if the gals get any acoustic or sound/music related benefits.

Haha if you call what describes an alley cat fight musical chops... then yes. I can belt out a few notes that would sound like that.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter

Beckett would be post modern and joyce modern imo.

I don't really connect with whatever cage etc are doing. I do find ambient music etc interesting. Eno, Basinski, etc.

I do find charting art until The Big Project broke down (world wars and the collapse of signs) and then what followed to be interesting. Lots of confusion and much of it not metaphorically resonant for me, but whatevs.

no there there ha ha exciting!!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

An old roommate of mine from many years ago described Axl Rose's voice as sounding like a cat in heat (she was not a fan), but yea, if that's what you mean I'd call that pretty good skills!
I think my neighbors did not mean it as a compliment lol. But they are pretty good about laughing off drunken early morning karaoke in the neighborhood and just seeing it as humorous. Probably because most have participated at some point since we have lived here.

amekins

amekins

I know @One drop plays music for his ladies.

Fudge

Fudge

When it comes to understanding the effects of music on plant growth, it appears that it isn’t so much about the “sounds” of the music, but more to do with the vibrations created by the sound waves. In simple terms, the vibrations produce movement in the plant cells, which stimulates the plant to produce more nutrients. If plants don’t respond well to rock music, it isn’t because they “like” classical better. However, the vibrations produced by loud rock music create greater pressure that isn’t conducive to plant growth.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Playing Music For Plants – How Does Music Affect Plant Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom