Aquaponics - Let fish be your Nutrient!

• Thread starter ThePreacher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If your fish die, you can still keep the nitrification cycle going artificially, in the same manner you would initially establish it--urine, or fish/invert flesh or food, small amounts and allowed to decompose. Might need more pee, so ya better get to those beers.

monkeymun

monkeymun

Have you ever used your pee on your plants? I have on outdoor plants. They appeared to enjoy it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
In aquatics, I've never seen it done while I was working the trade. HOWEVER, I think I've mentioned that reefkeepers will sometimes use vodka, to what end I'm not entirely certain, but IIRC they're boosting the nitrifier numbers with it.
Have you ever used your pee on your plants? I have on outdoor plants. They appeared to enjoy it.
Hee! Yep. You should see people's faces when I ask them how they like tokin' weed fed with pee.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We live in ranching country, lots of beef runnin' around out here. We'll be driving, Dave will point to a group of cattle on pasture. He'll say, "You see those cows over there?" I grunt. "They're outstanding in their field." Then he giggles while I roll my eyes and start giving him shit to come up with some new ones.

ttystikk

ttystikk

We live in ranching country, lots of beef runnin' around out here. We'll be driving, Dave will point to a group of cattle on pasture. He'll say, "You see those cows over there?" I grunt. "They're outstanding in their field." Then he giggles while I roll my eyes and start giving him shit to come up with some new ones.

Now you can tell him, "naw, them cows are just pissed off!"

R

Royal.HG

I think I can help...

I 'wrote the book' on Aquaponic Cannabis Cultivation.

Verify for yourself.

www.IndoorOrganicHydroponics.com

(hint: It's a 'membership site'…and the first 13 pages are yours to view, right now, just for fun…after that you'll be sucked in, no doubt.)

---

When you subscribe:

Beginners - start at SECTION 1: The Genesis

Intermediate - start at SECTION 1: The Genesis

Advanced AP Cannabis growers (who are ONLY missing the final piece of the puzzle) - start at SECTION 11: Operation & Maintenance

---

Once you understand everything leading up to, and including, SECTION 11…it will no longer be mysterious to you…how to flower and fruit, heavy feeding plants (like our favorite) while using Aquaponics as your grow method.

If "Organic Hydroponics" (aka…'Aquaponics') is the path you've chosen (or are considering it)…

You're welcome.

The Royal Hippie Gangster

ps

If you're bored…check out the blog…www.MJMoments.com

pps

Shout out to: The Streets, OAK / The Ranch, WA / Goldendale H.S. / University of Washington, Seattle…and every Thing and One, that happened after that…thanks, I learned A LOT!

R

Royal.HG

Fantastic! Great info- and the evidence of trials and troubles are as valuable as pictures of success. Helps a noob like me learn to recognize signs of things going awry in time.

I suspect that a well rounded mineral diet for the plants starts with the same thing for the fish?

What do you use for a biofilter/digester? I spoke with an experienced aquaponics operator locally, and he said that he installed a settling tank upstream of his biofilter and this helped keep his solids down to a manageable level. In his case, the system was heavily biased towards raising fish, as he didn't have a lot of plants growing in the system. I would bet that the higher the plants to fish ratio, the less trouble you'll have with excess solids.

---

I think I can help...

I 'wrote the book' on Aquaponic Cannabis Cultivation.

Verify for yourself.

(hint: It's a 'membership site'…and the first 13 pages are yours to view, right now, just for fun…after that you'll be sucked in, no doubt.)

---

When you subscribe:

Beginners - start at SECTION 1: The Genesis

Intermediate - start at SECTION 1: The Genesis

Advanced AP Cannabis growers (who are ONLY missing the final piece of the puzzle) - start at SECTION 11: Operation & Maintenance

---

Once you understand everything leading up to, and including, SECTION 11…it will no longer be mysterious to you…how to flower and fruit, heavy feeding plants (like our favorite) while using Aquaponics as your grow method.

If "Organic Hydroponics" (aka…'Aquaponics') is the path you've chosen (or are considering it)…

You're welcome.

The Royal Hippie Gangster

ps

If you're bored…check out the blog…www.MJMoments.com

pps

Shout out to: The Streets, OAK / The Ranch, WA / Goldendale H.S. / University of Washington, Seattle…and every Thing and One, that happened after that…thanks, I learned A LOT!

HottyToddy

HottyToddy

Okay, so my plans involve a bigger system than yours, so those variables that change with scale will need careful attention. I want to place at least one, and perhaps two fish tanks outside, on the surface.

One of these will be a tilapia and warm water fish tank, to be run at 82F. It will be kept warm one of two ways; either a warm water circuit that flows between heater exchangers at the outlets if my sealed hoods and the water tank, thus warming it, using heat pulled from the lights to do it. This would substantially reduce the load on my chiller unit, allowing it to maintain the climate while using much less power.

The other more expensive but more efficient approach would be to install water cooling for my chillers, or replace them with a heat pump. These options call for the installation of a hot water circuit, to carry the heat generated by the heat pump away to be dissipated. Instead of throwing this heat away, however, I would use it to maintain a large hot water tank of 120+ gallons for the resident's decadent pleasure, lol, and supply a heat exchanger coil in the hot tub- for more of same, lol- and another coil to warm the fish tank, more to heat the entire house, and finally through a waste heat radiator for whatever heat might be left!

The other option is to run the fish tank at 55-65 degrees, with cold water species like trout in it. This water would be cooled by the chiller along with all the other RDWC, so it would require extra power to keep cool during hot summer days. There are jetpumps and other options for keeping the tank cool as well. Of course the tank would be insulated and shaded from direct sunlight to minimize such heat gain as much as possible. The payoff comes in the Winter time when that tank, sitting outside in Colorado, would freeze solid if left alone! Instead, the chiller coil continues to run, drawing heat out of the chiller system and maintaining the tank at temperatures very comfortable, even balmy, for the fish. This heat sink effect could also be increased with the use of jet pumps, fountains and the like. I can see a setup like this eliminating the need for several Tons of cooling capacity, and that's being very conservative considering it can get flat bone chilling cold around here!

I know this goes way above and beyond aquaponics, but I believe the promise of this dual approach is the free lunch you get by using each part of the system for multiple benefits. The tank(s) will still have fish, they will still eat fish food and create biosolid waste and ammonia, which will feed by gravity down into first a settling tank and then a big bio filtration bed- I like the worms, I'll get some, excess becomes fish food!- and then this water will flow through any of multiple RDWC I already use. From these, the water will drain into a big sump tank- think kiddie pool on the floor in the basement, lol- and a 1/2hp pump will push that water back up, outside, and into the fish tank to pick up more waste and solids and repeat its journey.

Ambitious? Yes... but how much more complexity am I introducing? A warm water circuit, which would eliminate the need for outside power for nearly any heating function on the premises- save actually baking the fresh fish in the oven!
I'm working on a very similar unit. PM me & I'll send you my NDA to give you an idea how it's very doable & more!

Utopian811

Utopian811

Hi, noob here, having issues with my aquaponics system.

Everything seemed ok, great growth, etc. I have some non Aqua plants in soil as well, to see the differences, then I noticed yellowing on the leafs and then this issue:

Can someone please help me to figure this out, only happened on the first plant that went into the system, but is starting on the others that went in 48 hours later...

This is after 2 weeks in the system...

Thanks for your help,

George

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's a lot easier to see the whole plant, but offhand, I'd say you're experiencing a P- there, and may have a K- along with a Ca-. All of these nutrients can be difficult to provide in an AP system, but it can be done. I use bone and blood meal, along with rock dusts and added humic acids to aid uptake. Seaweed (I use dry, don't like paying for shipping water), hydrolized fish emulsion (again, I use dry here)(most of this stuff can be found at Peaceful Valley Farm Supply), and I also throw as much plant material back into the system as I can. Anything that's ugly can be eaten by the fish, and even if not you're keeping the nutrients in its tissues a little better sequestered when you're putting it back into the system.

Utopian811

Utopian811

Seems the major issue was very high PH. I had a fellow grower (hydro) very experienced come by, and we tested everything, and are now working at bringing the PH closer to 6 from 8 or so. We discovered that all the water we were getting was hard, even though we have a RO system, than needs to be serviced. So, down we go. Using very mild PH down, tomorrow using distilled white vinegar, as suggested by the person I bought my system off of.

Here is a picture of a second plant that was entered into the system 2 days after the worse plant that was damaged...

And thank you for your suggestions. Learning this, since it's my medicine and I can't pay any other way, is a bit stressful, since there is a real shortage of good info of Aquaponics systems for a medical marijuana grow, how to do what, how many plants in a bed, can you do more than just cannabis plants in the sam ebed at the same time (creating a jungle of strawberries and cannabis, one for meds and one for munchies ;-) )

Utopian

AP ph8
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It was at 8???? Well, there ya go! Your plants should better be able to utilize what's present once you've got the pH down. I'm not sure that 6 is where you want to be, but it's better than 8. My system has settled pretty hard on 6.4.

If you're not on FB, you should get on and find one of the AP groups. There are MANY, and they all have several members growing cannabis in them.

I went with phosphoric acid to drop our system's pH down. It hit 10 and I waited, and waited, and waited and waited and waited and WAITED and the whole time we were peeing in it trying to get those nitrifiers going, and nothin' doin'. So, I finally said fuck it and dropped in about a half gallon of phosphoric acid and we were golden.

A lot of AP folks recommend muriatic acid, but it doesn't actually add anything to the system that the plants can use.

Utopian811

Utopian811

Yes, 8 for real, working at lowering using distilled white vinegar as suggested by the person who I purchased my AP system from.
All I can say is this: for a guy who spent the last 32 years indoors and in a recording studio room, learning about growing things, after starting my mmj experience, I'm flabbergasted with all there is to learn, but its a blast as well.

First plant I own in soil is 3 weeks into flower. I have 2 more 2 weeks behind that, and then a few more about 2 or 3 weeks after that (in the AP system). So I expect to learn allot in the next few months, like how much a plant changes when it goes into flower (DAMN!!!!!!).

Great to find like minded people,

Utopian

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't know how big your system is, but I'm going to bet that you're going to end up going through a qualified metric shit-ton of it to get pH to shift down. I still recommend phosphoric acid (this is probably why so many are recommending muriatic acid, too).

Our system is over 1,500gals, so vinegar just wasn't gonna cut it. I also dropped about 5gals of peat moss in the system. It takes quite a while for it to get working, but it helps keep pH shifted down, naturally.

Utopian811

Utopian811

My system is 54 gallons, and the PH is slowly coming down, closer to 7 now, but the plants are looking so freaking bad. I'll continue to bring it down as "fast" as I'm able, but if this crop dies, then we try again.

Have you tried doing a "dual root zone" type of grow, adding the extra nutrients to the soil layer? I'm thinking this might be a better approach to AP and MMJ...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm not familiar with that terminology, and being AP there really is no soil layer, at least outside what went with the plants when they were transplanted.

Top Bottom