Are all the name brand soils coming with bugs?

• Thread starter HappyTrailz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
urbanfog

urbanfog

Where are you getting this? How big are the bags? From what i just googled, these bags are pricey and small?

I get the grey bagged "POTting soil" 1.5 cu feet bags at 12.99 each at the local hardware store. I reuse my soil so only a couple new bags a season, then I add EWC from my vermicomposters, scan mask nematodes, Lots of rice hulls, alfalfa meal, compost and coir. I mix it all up and store in 40 gallon tubs to "cook" a month or 3 lol, then into my garden. So far running in combination with Hydroponic-research's nutes and some Caps foliar pack and all seems to work well in both my med garden and my indoor/outdoor plants.

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

I get the grey bagged "POTting soil" 1.5 cu feet bags at 12.99 each at the local hardware store. I reuse my soil so only a couple new bags a season, then I add EWC from my vermicomposters, scan mask nematodes, Lots of rice hulls, alfalfa meal, compost and coir. I mix it all up and store in 40 gallon tubs to "cook" a month or 3 lol, then into my garden. So far running in combination with Hydroponic-research's nutes and some Caps foliar pack and all seems to work well in both my med garden and my indoor/outdoor plants.
Thanks! I'm trying to find a one in all soil for my 65 year old Mom. She will be only watering from the hose... She's not gonna be mixing nutes or anything. I'm gonna put 100gal gepots in her Tomato garden and hope She can get something nice with good soil and water?

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Thanks! I'm trying to find a one in all soil for my 65 year old Mom. She will be only watering from the hose... She's not gonna be mixing nutes or anything. I'm gonna put 100gal gepots in her Tomato garden and hope She can get something nice with good soil and water?
Is having her top dress an option?
Just a few things, applied only a few times can help ya a lot

Throwing down some worm castings and alfafla meal, maybe some bat/seabird guano would be plenty

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

It would be... but because i'm having her neighbor unload the soil and clueless to growing, they would have no idea what ratio to add per 100gal? I'm all ears

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

It would be... but because i'm having her neighbor unload the soil and clueless to growing, they would have no idea what ratio to add per 100gal? I'm all ears
I assume your talking outdoor. Hopefully somebody else chimes in because I mostly do indo

If you get a soil that's loaded with nutrients you prob won't have to add much for the first few weeks.

My general rule for new products is use half of what the manufacturer recommends and then go from there

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

I assume your talking outdoor. Hopefully somebody else chimes in because I mostly do indo

If you get a soil that's loaded with nutrients you prob won't have to add much for the first few weeks.

My general rule for new products is use half of what the manufacturer recommends and then go from there
I hear ya... I just wanted to get some quality dirt...FFOF use to be a good soil for her in 25 gals.. She would water only and still have some pretty good results. So this year was gonna have her run 100 gal and was hoping they're would be enough food around for her until 2nd 3rd weeks of flowering? The pic in my avatar is FFOF 25 gal water only! She did this on her first run...She called it double G... Granny's Ganja LOL

urbanfog

urbanfog

Is having her top dress an option?
Just a few things, applied only a few times can help ya a lot

Throwing down some worm castings and alfafla meal, maybe some bat/seabird guano would be plenty

I think it will be fine, maybe topdress once in awhile with some EWC, or teach her to make a tea :D 5 gallons water and a gallon of Dr. Earth, bubble for 24 and go . Good luck to Mom!

HappyTrailz

HappyTrailz

My boy at the hydro shop recommended roots organic uprising... it's a time release fert?

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Gnats not so much... root aphids:banghead:
The sand wsoil for about $100 a yard in chico seems pretty decent for the price.

Theres a few good soil companies around the chico/butte county area, usual price is around 100-125 a yard delivered, and they usually will deliver up to 70 yards. i would def go that route, an stay away from the shops. save you a ton of dough and better quality if you do your research. Theres guys that will give you an analysis of the soil also so you know whats needed and should be ammended in. Find something high In compost and EWC and drains well, make a vortex for caps bennies and use it every other week outdoors ( or itll cost you a fortune) and you should be golden when it comes to bugs. If you do end up going to the hydrostore check out vermifire it comes in 2 yard tubs for 260 or so and only requires straight water until 20 to 30 days into flower and after that minimal top dresses and teas. We just swooped up 40 yards and another 5 of compost, hoping to be back up in concow by the end of this month. :cigar:

Last edited:
waayne

waayne

Here's one of my latest finds.....
This chicken bone,was in a bag of Black Gold I recently opened..
I guess it's good for a little extra calcium,and phosphorus.;)
IMG 3999

Last edited:
wonka

wonka

has anyone used or had any probs with empire or victory garden from sanctuary soil and feed???

w.wonka

707seedbank

707seedbank

Supporter
I tried a few bags of the empire. I'll never use there stuff again, super salty…. My buddy bought some peaceful valley farm compost a few weeks ago. He now has root aphids.

Top Bottom