Are Auto strains less potent?

• Thread starter Big D
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Big D

Big D

I've got a number of years experience working with Indicas and Sativas but not many Ruderalis strains. It's my understanding that auto flower strains are Ruderalis. It also seems that the Ruderalis (auto-flower) varieties tend to be less potent and produce less over-all. Is this a myth or do auto-flower varieties tend to be less potent?

Reactions: mal
TexBud

TexBud

True; Less potent. That is at the f1 stage. Some of the autos out now are back crossed or crossed with other strains. They keep the plants that are auto(s) and breed with same or a different indica/sativa. Grow out and keep the auto(s) and breed again and so on. I, myself, did not even like the idea of autos. (ol'hippy in me!) But a friend of mine gave me 2 auto seeds (Ns short ryder). I grew them outside. Stayed short 1.5' -2.5' harvested in 8-9 weeks. Harvest was 2.5oz per plant average. Personally, I would NOT use for any of my indoor grows! But they do have a place in the cannabis world. Harvest way before natural harvest dates/days in fall. My first harvest; outdoors; full sun;ect. was in May!! Planting date is some locations! Would also do great in a pot on a porch, balcony or any other place you can find with full sun. City dwellers grow dream! If needed, it could be placed in a landscaping of a home, blending in with the rest on the plants and no one would notice. (mine was in a pot next to the pool with in some landscaping. Swimmers, visitors never asked, saw, anything.) Smoke was nice, tasty, and did the job! I did compare it with my best true breeds or hybrids in a blind/not knowing group of friends. They really could not tell a difference in high(s) but I know it did take just a little product to achieve that high. There is a website dedicated to only autos out there. Know the auto your getting! Height of finished plant; timing of harvest ect...

Good luck,

Big D

Big D

Well, if they are less potent, I wouldn't want to water down my strains by crossing with an auto. The decreased harvest time is not worth weakening the final product, at least for me. Some newbies might not be able to tell the difference but I'm almost positive I would. My tolerance is very high. If it doesn't hit hard, I can really tell.

TexBud

TexBud

Well, if they are less potent, I wouldn't want to water down my strains by crossing with an auto. The decreased harvest time is not worth weakening the final product, at least for me. Some newbies might not be able to tell the difference but I'm almost positive I would. My tolerance is very high. If it doesn't hit hard, I can really tell.

I Agree!! I would never breed with my stock!! And Yes, I could tell the difference also (I'm defiantly no newbie)! But if I did breed it I would use a stronger/higher thc content plant that is already auto. I would not get a pure Ruderalis strain (if i could find one) and water down all the work I've already done! Unless I was seed company! Which most are driven by money NOT the preservation of genetics.

Kyle mccall

Kyle mccall

Ruderalis produce hardly any thc at all all autos are a Ruderalis cross crossed with a sativa or indica the reason they cross the ruderalis is for its short flowering time i think it's better to either run them on 20-4 with some nice big lights over them or a hot country unlike the uk haha peace.

bobismyfather

bobismyfather

Yep less potent for sure in the 2nd generation as I tried them. Like the Leds, they go back into the closet for a year or two. i just finished a round of big bud auto and it all looks great, but after extraction I can say that they budder really easily and are not very powerful. as a control I have a series of other autos growing as well : berry ryder, 60 day wonder, ultra lemon haze (which looks and smells amazing, and wasnt very auto so maybe there is hope)
they are not something to grow as main plants. i was surprised though that the second generation is already this good in everything except thc quality and quantity.
I also think that they will be nice to grow in southern places with mild winters. It still beats dry stuff.

Oh and of course its very cool to grow something in your veg room.

bobismyfather

bobismyfather

You cannot make bad thc better. Concentrating it doesnt make it better either.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
See for yourself. Pick out a good strain and grow it. There's a chance it might not disappoint.

Top Bottom