are humidors good to store seeds in???

• Thread starter southstreets
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
southstreets

southstreets

hi everyone!!! I wanted to get some opinions on storing seeds in humidors.. has anyone ever had any experience with storing their beans in humidors??? if so what were the results and what were your humidity settings at?? if not give me some feedback on how you store your beans and were i can aquire everything to do it.. I've read through some threads but there a little too scientific for me.. thanks farmers... south..

R

REGISTRD

nothing scientific here... put all your bags of seeds in a sealed mason jar.
And just an FYI ive had seeds in this jar for over 5 years and i pulled some out last week and they popped in 2/3 days..

B

bicycle racer

as close to zero humidity is what you want for long term preservation also cold temps. moisture is the enemy to long term storage.

southstreets

southstreets

ok got you... im def gunna figure something out.. im guessin mason jars would work good as long as i open them once in awhile????

P

PureSugar

hi everyone!!! I wanted to get some opinions on storing seeds in humidors..

You want to store seeds in the opposite of a humidor. You want them DRY. You want to store them in an airtight container with a desiccant (the little packs that absorb moisture from the air) in it. Cool and dark are also good ideas.

southstreets

southstreets

alright... i thought a humidor would b good cuz you can control humidity from zero to 1 hundo percent.. but then the air factor would come in to play...

B

bicycle racer

i store seeds in the fridge in very small twist top jars with silica beads inside with the seeds the jars go into another container with more desicants. i choose the fridge over the freezer so they do not de-frost and re-freeze whenever i remove them or during power outages moves etc... they should be viable for 10 years or so this way sometimes longer.

H

hotrod68

Tight container throw some grains of rice in with beans, store in cool, dry, dark space.

HR68

I

Inuit

Don't store in a humidor. You want as dry as possible.

You can dry epsom salt in the oven and it will lose its water of crystallization and drop the salt in the bottom of your jar and they will keep it dry and absorb moisture from the air.

Here is a c/p from the merck index

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Magnesium Sulfate: Epsom or bitter salt. MgSO4 • 7H2O; mol. wt. 246.50. Anhydrous salt 48.84%, H2O 51.16% (45-52%, U.S.P.), Mg 9.87%, MgO 16.36%, SO3 32.48%, SO4 38.97%, H2O4 39.79%.

Colorless or white, somewhat efflorescent crystals or white powder; bitter, saline, cooling taste. On exposure to dry air at ordinary temp. it loses about 1 H2O (7%); at 70-80° loses 4 H2O (about 28%); at 100° loses 5 H2O (36.5%); at 120° loses 6 H2O, rapidly reabsorbing water when exposed to moist air; loses the last mol. of water at about 250°. d. 1.67. One gram dissolves in 0.8 mil. water, 0.2 ml. boil. water; very slowly soluble in 1.1 ml. glycerol; slightly soluble in alcohol. Its aq. soln. is neutral. pH 6-7.

Keep well closed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

I would assume that those temps are in C.

I

H

Herbiraptor

Good tips on moisture and cold, I would use a dark jar or a dark cloth bag inside the jar to keep out light also.

I

InvisibleM

nothing scientific here... put all your bags of seeds in a sealed mason jar.
And just an FYI ive had seeds in this jar for over 5 years and i pulled some out last week and they popped in 2/3 days..

Do you use the mason jars with the rubber seal, glass top and clamp?

Top Bottom