Are my nutes really doing anything in my soil? Soil description included.

• Thread starter radrichie61
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
radrichie61

radrichie61

Good afternoon, I want to throw something out there. Currently out of town, no access to pics though they are on other posts.

I think that all my work on nutes and microbe charge may not do much due to the substrate. Good but not super dense topsoil over coarse sand. Do you think all the liquid nutes are just running straight thru? Did a batch 2 days ago and way to much 2–4-4 Mother Earth and no sign of a thing. I am no dummy and I really think it all pretty much runs right on thru. When we have big ass rain storms my yard drains quick. So, I bet it goes down, down, down. Lol.

If this is the case should I go back to dry nutes? I will keep using the microbe charge, it does seem to boost life in the dirt. Maybe 3 weeks left I would guess so might as well ride it out of course but my point of this is that I would value your opinion on substrate. I found the gov soil description and it is high drainage. Here is the description:

Kr-Kureb sand, 1 to 8 percent slopes. This excessively drained soil is on long, broad ridges on the uplands. Areas are generally broad and long. Most of the acreage is forested. The rest is used for residential and industrial sites. The sparse native vegetation on the higher elevations is turkey oak, scattered longleaf pine, a few bluejack oaks, and scattered dwarf myrtle and huckleberry.
Much of the area is barren of any vegetation, except for mosses and lichens. On the lower slopes, the vegetation increases in density and includes various oaks, scattered hickory, holly, and brackenfern.Typically, the surface layer is dark gray sand 3 inches thick. The subsurface layer is light gray sand 23 inchesthick. Some small areas of soils that are generally at an elevation of less than 25 feet are also included. These soils have mixed mineralogy.The organic-matter content of the surface layer is very low. Permeability is rapid, available water capacity is very low, and shrink-swell potential is low. Reaction is neutral to very strongly acid throughout, unless this soil is limed. The seasonal high water table is at a depth of more than 6 feet.Very low available water capacity and rapid permeability are the main limitations in the use and management of this soil. This soil is very droughty. Irrigation, soil conditioners, and fertilizer are needed if lawn grasses, shrubs, and trees are to be established. Capability subclass VI Is; woodland group 5s.

Sounds so productive, maybe why I never got tall, or genetics. Everyone says that if I mention height.

Top Bottom