Are these fungus gnats, thrips or aphids? Pics

• Thread starter Raisin8420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Raisin8420

Raisin8420

I cant tell if these are gnats or thrips or aphids, they are coming from the soil (bio buzz) I found some of the reddish backed crawler aphids in the bottom of the pots too. I have some of this ,
I gave them a light spray but not sure if I can spray now as they are starting to bud
600w, bio buzz soil. 45 days in pots 13 days since flip. Any recommendations?? Many thanks in advance.
Are these fungus gnats thrips or aphids pics

Are these fungus gnats thrips or aphids pics 2

Are these fungus gnats thrips or aphids pics 3

Are these fungus gnats thrips or aphids pics 4

Seraphine

Seraphine

The ones with wings are fungus gnats. The larva live in the soil and eat the roots. You need to treat the soil to kill the larva. Yellow sticky traps will help trap the flyers. I can’t tell what those smaller insects are. If you have root aphids too, you’ll need to find a product specifically for them. Beauveria bassiana found in Botanigard 22wp used as a soil drench will kill root aphids. Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (Bti) will take care of fungus gnats.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Do you have a better picture of what you think are root aphids? It’s hard to identify with the one pic you posted. One of those smaller insects kinda looks like it could be a root aphid but again, I can’t clearly see it.

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

Thanks for the reply il see if I can get my hands on some of that stuff here, iv got loads of sticky traps in,on and around each pot and above the canopy! The soil seems to be full of bugs, so I will defo need to treat it somehow, I think I have at least 3 but they may be different stages?? The fliers are coming from the soil too yea
I just pulled these out on a marker tag...
20191207 034301

This one is dark with a dark red back hard to catch in the pic.
20191207 034558

20191207 020250

20191207 040256

Last edited:
SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

I'll grab the pics, fellas, but YOU'LL have to do the heavy lifting (seraphine), freaks me out & I'd rather b around, today.
if nothing else- seraphine will c u to the finish line. i haven't met EVERYONE, but i know this about that.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

1st... as to aphids.

can't tell if it's my eyes, or bad pic. i can read off- whatever.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

here's a "great" gnat pic. could've seen mine, with an endoscope/THE PIPE.
yeah, i can't tell if they're comin out doubled, or clear so... i can read the book n type it in, if necessary.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

gross... there's a pic, under magnification- gnats in runoff h2o. i have a weak stomach for this shyt. mostly y i got into the water. actually my longest year round stretch, without pests. no kiddin.

glancing at this particular list of all things that kill... they didn't separate the napalm from the neem so watch yourself.
i tried diox on em, like- probably ed's bible said- a few versions back. it's bullshyt. i probably was THIS close to inadvertently killin my family n pets so... do the reading, too. think 40k ppm, is nomansland.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

this is for leaf miners. i also dunno what's on some of your pics & didn't have the heart to look closer. um... so I'll toss this in, for good measure and regardless of what they are- perhaps the DDT you go with, will KILL EM ALL.

seraphine- moisture...

nm. says miners uncommon.
but I'll still add control pic

my cam, or my eyes? i am anything, but crepuscular, sight wise.

ohhh! didn't that guy say mealybugs? scale? nasty!
I'll try for the pics...

ok- I'm just throwing in spider mites, for good measure, but someone needs to knock on wood/hemp.

u know- I'm mostly skipping to an not reading, but the phrase, "HITCHHIKER into the garden", really touched my heart.
um... where'd u gat that soil and don't say you're holdin it for A FRIEND. um... i didn't read MUCH- but where'd ya get the grass- rhetorical- don't drop that dime...? bring it in, or seed? - seraphine...?

eweee- they're talkin high RH to slow down... nm u don't have mites. i was going to say... high rh and the gnat thing... napalm. but nm.

but this pic IS STILL mite prevention n NAPALM.

oh yeah- u know- some of these chem names that i keep seein, can b really dangerous to pets... kids... you... so let me reiterate: careful.

k- i don't want to mix these up.

u know- this is all from on book- solution wise, it's my fav one and I'll never loan it out, again; especially to ptsd steve.

the book, aquaman says is also available in pdf (prolly cheaper- not suggesting we... liberate it from somewhere- the man earned his due).
the book is- marijuana garden saver (nice, discreet name), by j.c. stitch.

sorry. there's more, but i need to stop. I'll try, later.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

it just hit me.
i might b willing to trade ladybug, mantis poop & bud washing, for pest destruction. one COULD, mail order those... i have video links, for a couple wash methods, if this sounds appealing, but i need to step away for a day so...

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
GL with the aphids. They are a bitch and a half to get rid of. Good thing you don't have the insane ones to kill. Just be careful and get on it pronto. With all of those pests in your grow it's downhill. You plants will be weakened and an open vector for all types of shit. With that much going on I honestly would just kill plants, bake, clean, and burn the room out since your plant count isnt high. Best option. You are going to have to spray those plants for months to come to control and start to get rid of it. Even with hardcore shit (which I don't suggest).

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

Thanks for the info @SPARECHANGE I had seen something about garlic and incesticidal soap so I have a garlic coriander and tomato leave oil steeping there... and will mix with soap to spray...i have only found a small amount of gnats up top I think 3 sticky traps in each pot I's catching them.

Links for wash methods sound very appealing when you get a minute that would be cool. Seems I need something nuclear to rid of my pests
this is for leaf miners. i also dunno what's on some of your pics & didn't have the heart to look closer. um... so I'll toss this in, for good measure and regardless of what they are- perhaps the DDT you go with, will KILL EM ALL.

seraphine- moisture...

nm. says miners uncommon.
but I'll still add control pic

my cam, or my eyes? i am anything, but crepuscular, sight wise.

ohhh! didn't that guy say mealybugs? scale? nasty!
I'll try for the pics...

ok- I'm just throwing in spider mites, for good measure, but someone needs to knock on wood/hemp.

u know- I'm mostly skipping to an not reading, but the phrase, "HITCHHIKER into the garden", really touched my heart.
um... where'd u gat that soil and don't say you're holdin it for A FRIEND. um... i didn't read MUCH- but where'd ya get the grass- rhetorical- don't drop that dime...? bring it in, or seed? - seraphine...?

eweee- they're talkin high RH to slow down... nm u don't have mites. i was going to say... high rh and the gnat thing... napalm. but nm.

but this pic IS STILL mite prevention n NAPALM.

oh yeah- u know- some of these chem names that i keep seein, can b really dangerous to pets... kids... you... so let me reiterate: careful.

k- i don't want to mix these up.

u know- this is all from on book- solution wise, it's my fav one and I'll never loan it out, again; especially to ptsd steve.

the book, aquaman says is also available in pdf (prolly cheaper- not suggesting we... liberate it from somewhere- the man earned his due).
the book is- marijuana garden saver (nice, discreet name), by j.c. stitch.

sorry. there's more, but i need to stop. I'll try, later.

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

here's a "great" gnat pic. could've seen mine, with an endoscope/THE PIPE.
yeah, i can't tell if they're comin out doubled, or clear so... i can read the book n type it in, if necessary.
Yea seems I have definitely got gnats and aphids in the soil. I bought the soil n clones in a grow shop local here (europe)

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

Ah yea dont think il pull em yet too much effort and time n dollars gone in already. Not to mention I only managed to get the room dialed in after 2 grows here... il treat the soil and ride it out unless I start getting them alllll over the plants
GL with the aphids. They are a bitch and a half to get rid of. Good thing you don't have the insane ones to kill. Just be careful and get on it pronto. With all of those pests in your grow it's downhill. You plants will be weakened and an open vector for all types of shit. With that much going on I honestly would just kill plants, bake, clean, and burn the room out since your plant count isnt high. Best option. You are going to have to spray those plants for months to come to control and start to get rid of it. Even with hardcore shit (which I don't suggest).

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

napalm and exactly what u said... i was thinkin it, too... and then, i looked at the age of his teens, again and it just broke my heart to volunteer that opinion cause we might b talkin bout a few hundy, "he'll" be sayin goodbye to, with all the ancillary/bonus, expenses.
but I'm with chem, on the lowly... lowly day: slash n burn & I'm praying u have "perpetual"/or another grow area, at least.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Well just know all that money you invested might double or more including the loss if this is a persistent problem. Not to mention if you don't take care of them and they start to become immune to what you treat them with over time. It's your call. With experience comes the mindset of do I really wanna wait 8-12 weeks to see if it's salvageable? If it was my grow the plants would already be dead and the room would be soaking in bleach above 100 degrees. That's just too much to deal with and not worth it in the long run imo. Aphids are one of those thing we all cringe when we see. Spider mites and the like don't have shit on dealing with a problem like that. Lucky for you you don't have the death to a grow aphids but with plants being attacked it might not be long before you do or might have them and just havent seen them yet.

Most of the time if you want to save plants like that (aka a specific clone ect) you keep them in veg after the run for a month or 2 while you treat since more then half the stuff you need to use wont play nice with flowering plants.

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

napalm and exactly what u said... i was thinkin it, too... and then, i looked at the age of his teens, again and it just broke my heart to volunteer that opinion cause we might b talkin bout a few hundy, "he'll" be sayin goodbye to, with all the ancillary/bonus, expenses.
but I'm with chem, on the lowly... lowly day: slash n burn & I'm praying u have "perpetual"/or another grow area, at least.
Couple hundy in this one alright 10 blips for the cuts I get so they aren't too bad
Ah yea I am aware it could get much worse but two things I love are weed and a challenge. This is my only room and if I chop this run now and start again I wont have time to finish another before I'm away for a month, so time is mostly my worst constraint. I have in this10 euro on each clone × 7 and two other plants i revived from the last run also bout 200 for nutrient and microbials n bad soil.

B

Badmf

I cant tell if these are gnats or thrips or aphids, they are coming from the soil (bio buzz) I found some of the reddish backed crawler aphids in the bottom of the pots too. I have some of this ,
I gave them a light spray but not sure if I can spray now as they are starting to bud
600w, bio buzz soil. 45 days in pots 13 days since flip. Any recommendations?? Many thanks in advance.
View attachment 918190

View attachment 918191

View attachment 918192
Check your PH, I do a flush before switching to bloom just old habit

Raisin8420

Raisin8420

Well just know all that money you invested might double or more including the loss if this is a persistent problem. Not to mention if you don't take care of them and they start to become immune to what you treat them with over time. It's your call. With experience comes the mindset of do I really wanna wait 8-12 weeks to see if it's salvageable? If it was my grow the plants would already be dead and the room would be soaking in bleach above 100 degrees. That's just too much to deal with and not worth it in the long run imo. Aphids are one of those thing we all cringe when we see. Spider mites and the like don't have shit on dealing with a problem like that. Lucky for you you don't have the death to a grow aphids but with plants being attacked it might not be long before you do or might have them and just havent seen them yet.

Most of the time if you want to save plants like that (aka a specific clone ect) you keep them in veg after the run for a month or 2 while you treat since more then half the stuff you need to use wont play nice with flowering plants.
Ah yea I am aware it could get much worse but two things I love are weed and a challenge. This is my only room and if I chop this run now and start again I wont have time to finish another before I'm away for a month, so time is mostly my worst constraint. I have in this10 euro on each clone × 7 and two other plants i revived from the last run also bout 200 for nutrient and microbials n bad soil so not too bad of a loss if I do lose em all I suppose

Top Bottom