Are these par meters worth it

• Thread starter Skeggox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skeggox

Skeggox

Found a deal on these meters. Anyone have any input on the hydrofarm brand? The active eye is not in stock anymore which seems to make it the older one i guess. But it has ability to upload info to windows and states that it measures up to 10,000 umol. Is one preferred over the other. The active eye I can get for $135.00 and the photobio for $150.00.

Are these par meters worth it
Are these par meters worth it 2
Skeggox

Skeggox

If you have android phone, save your money...Tent Buddy app is fine unless you're testing lights for youtube vids or something
View attachment 1240534View attachment 1240535

Just my opinion but that $150 is another pack of decent genetics :)
I've used a similar app the last 2 harvest and the density is still not there. The top inch or 2 of the buds will be ok but the majority is still very loose/leafy. Money isn't an issue and and too, I still have 9 or 10 weeks to get some good genetics. It's just frustrating purchasing a hlg600rspec and wasting months to get fluffy flower. Difficult to learn the light by winging it. Not saying that the app you suggested doesn't work. The one I had may have been shit or needed calibrated which required buying another meter to calibrate it. So figured i just buy one and get rid of the hassle

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
I guess i would buy one if that was my circumstances. I'd go with the Photobio...also sorry my pics bloated ur thread. I always shrink them to thumbnail sizes but the website on mobile always expands to full size :(

Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

I have the hydrofarm PAR meter from the second photo, it works well. helps me determine exactly the right light ranges. Not sure how accurate it is but works for me

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Agree.

I've had it on my Android phone for a few weeks now. All the spectrums are unlocked/free by default on Android.
Downloaded it to my Apple phone today and they want $5.99 to unlock the LED spectrum and many of the others.
Same here iPhone and I had to pay to get LED full spectrum and LED red/blue separately, 5.99 each like you said.

growsince79

growsince79

I've used a similar app the last 2 harvest and the density is still not there. The top inch or 2 of the buds will be ok but the majority is still very loose/leafy. Money isn't an issue and and too, I still have 9 or 10 weeks to get some good genetics. It's just frustrating purchasing a hlg600rspec and wasting months to get fluffy flower. Difficult to learn the light by winging it. Not saying that the app you suggested doesn't work. The one I had may have been shit or needed calibrated which required buying another meter to calibrate it. So figured i just buy one and get rid of the hassle
You don't need super high ppfd to get dense nugs. It's all about genetics...

Skeggox

Skeggox

I understand genetics are a factor but this light has 10 settings on the dial, for the first 9 weeks I've had it mounted to the ceiling (8ft) on the 3rd notch on the dial. Still 7 settings left to go on the light. I lowered the light maybe 2 inches over 2 weeks on the same setting and the leaves are almost standing straight up. I'm at 48 inches at least off the canopy hitting 3rd week of flower. It's recommended around 28 to 30 inches during flower. I can't judge shit I'm not experienced enough to there for I need expensive shit to help me make choices so my anxiety doesn't drive me nuts. Also starting week 3 of flower. Kinda wanna make sure it's where it needs to be when it's time to pack some weight on

freezeland2

freezeland2

That is true. I ran 725 ppfd on the canopy top this past grow. Got some really nice conical shaped buds about golf ball size that are rock solid. Genetics played a big role in that.

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
I understand genetics are a factor but this light has 10 settings on the dial, for the first 9 weeks I've had it mounted to the ceiling (8ft) on the 3rd notch on the dial. Still 7 settings left to go on the light. I lowered the light maybe 2 inches over 2 weeks on the same setting and the leaves are almost standing straight up. I'm at 48 inches at least off the canopy hitting 3rd week of flower. It's recommended around 28 to 30 inches during flower. I can't judge shit I'm not experienced enough to there for I need expensive shit to help me make choices so my anxiety doesn't drive me nuts. Also starting week 3 of flower. Kinda wanna make sure it's where it needs to be when it's time to pack some weight on
Leaves standing up is called 'praying' it's not light induced brother.
The pressure exerted by the osmotic flow of water is called turgidity. It is caused by the osmotic flow of water through a selectively permeable membrane.
That's watering and osmotic pressure...means you got watering perfect and plants are in overdrive doing great. Got pics?

freezeland2

freezeland2

I ran Photone on an iPhone 11 Pro. I paid Photone for the full spectrum LED and all the other light types it supports. I ended up getting an Apogee Quantum full spectrum meter. Photone is accurate on my IPhone for the other light types except full spectrum LED. It has a pretty big disparity. I’ll trust my apogee reading.

Maxwax

Maxwax

The truth is those 500 dollar light meters are great but for every successful grow with one used theres 1000 successful grows using a photone or other basic meters and at the end of the day its the plants themselves that tell you what light they want and can stand. Regardless of what any light meter says.

Just another tool in the box.

Skeggox

Skeggox

Leaves standing up is called 'praying' it's not light induced brother.
The pressure exerted by the osmotic flow of water is called turgidity. It is caused by the osmotic flow of water through a selectively permeable membrane.
That's watering and osmotic pressure...means you got watering perfect and plants are in overdrive doing great. Got pics?
I understand that. But is there not a point to where the light intensity isn't too much to taco but its too much intensity to herm and you can't tell because they just look like they're praying. I've watched months of videos and from what I've gathered there's a line between praying and stressing. And you can stress a plant with out the leaves canoeing or making tacos. I seen one example where the leaves was not burning or curling but beyond praying, fan leaves pointing straight up to the ceiling from too much intensity. Can that not cause a plant to herm

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
I understand that. But is there not a point to where the light intensity isn't too much to taco but its too much intensity to herm and you can't tell because they just look like they're praying. I've watched months of videos and from what I've gathered there's a line between praying and stressing. And you can stress a plant with out the leaves canoeing or making tacos. I seen one example where the leaves was not burning or curling but beyond praying, fan leaves pointing straight up to the ceiling from too much intensity. Can that not cause a plant to herm
they will not stand straight up if the conditions are unhealthy. they will taco from heat, but they wilt, they don't stand straight up. Leaves will also turn sideways or upside down, but it's not from the light being too intense. That's why i asked for pics. I don't like to speculate.

Skeggox

Skeggox

they will not stand straight up if the conditions are unhealthy. they will taco from heat, but they wilt, they don't stand straight up. Leaves will also turn sideways or upside down, but it's not from the light being too intense. That's why i asked for pics. I don't like to speculate.
I'll have some in about 8 hrs

Skeggox

Skeggox

1st pic 600w hps at 26" with open reflector. 2nd 600rspec. The hps looks more natural to me. May just be me, under the Rspec the nodes are stacked decent but the new growth looks thin compared to hps

Screenshot 20220501 233858 Gallery
20220501 233325

Latest posts

Top Bottom