Are these par meters worth it

• Thread starter Skeggox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KUSHSTEIN

KUSHSTEIN

If used correctly you’ll definitely get your money’s worth and will be glad you got it seeing more evenness throughout your canopy. Though I would plan on upgrading to one of the apogee models in the near future.

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
It's fine dude, lol. That's the plant in super happy mode...i noticed some PM splotches i think in ur first pics tho...get on that.

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
This may help ease your mind. My outdoor sativa and a WC...i tested the WC (long story) so ignore wonky look, but you can see twisted sideways leaves...that's from water and mad growth rate. You're good bud, rock on...maybe VPD plays a small role but nothing i can prove without extensive lab work

20220502 061211 copy 1209x1612
20220502 061237 copy 1209x1612
freezeland2

freezeland2

Still normal? That's right when the light cycle ended. Looks even more abnormal to me than the other pics..
They do that when they are approaching their dark cycle. It’s normal.

Skeggox

Skeggox

PM isn't pests.
Yea it's not pm. It's the leaves shining from the lost coast plant therapy treatment I gave them for a few days. I do a treatment once every 7 to 10 days but I had some caterpillars come in last week. I went a little heavier on the mix hopefully to drive them out and some of the leaves has a slight shine because I haven't rinsed them. Their not burnt or anything. It's not pm just a heavy application that left residue

Skeggox

Skeggox

It may also be dust. I had to make a catwalk to get to my hlg so I can lower it and to get to the back of the canopy to tuck lol. Probably dust off the 2x6.

Skeggox

Skeggox

It's fine dude, lol. That's the plant in super happy mode...i noticed some PM splotches i think in ur first pics tho...get on that.
Even though they were in super happy mode. I was still way under where I needed to be on intensity. My 600w HID was at 700 umol. HLG was only reading 290 umol with the plants looking that happy.

Observationist

Observationist

I've used a similar app the last 2 harvest and the density is still not there. The top inch or 2 of the buds will be ok but the majority is still very loose/leafy. Money isn't an issue and and too, I still have 9 or 10 weeks to get some good genetics. It's just frustrating purchasing a hlg600rspec and wasting months to get fluffy flower. Difficult to learn the light by winging it. Not saying that the app you suggested doesn't work. The one I had may have been shit or needed calibrated which required buying another meter to calibrate it. So figured i just buy one and get rid of the hassle
Makes me feel better about my cheap Chinese LEDs lol

Probably genetics ?

Skeggox

Skeggox

Makes me feel better about my cheap Chinese LEDs lol

Probably genetics ?
I believe I wasn't lowering my light enough. I'm still fairly new and haven't had the led long so I'm still learning it. I couldn't judge shit with it since I'm use to hid. I've been afraid if burning them so I'm not working up the light intensity enough according to the par meter I just acquired.

D

Digger

I bought the hydrofarm, and here’s whats going to happen. You’re going to use it a couple times and kick it off to the side. Wish I didnt buy it, I was like you, new to LED and thought I needed help understanding the light and looking for that “perfect” coverage. The only reason I think you need to buy an Apogee is if you plan on building a bunch of lights for different areas and need to test. If you want to know your area, you can rent an apogee for about what it cost, but you get your money back. What i’ve read and learned is, set the light at the height it needs to be for when they finish stretching and leave it there, adjust your intensity to where they are comfortable before flower and leave it there for the most part. That may or may not be the recommended height. They will grow into it and the intensity will get stronger as they get taller. Try not to get caught up in what professionals say your mols should be. You deal with your plants and let them tell you what the mols should be. You probably had larf right under the canopy because yes, the intensity wasnt strong enough, you might have always been moving the light, but you can fix all of these problems without buying a meter. I’m not trying to discourage you, but you’ll never have a perfect grow, the best you can strive for is consistently good grows. Ask anyone whose been growing longer than 5 years. If you can free yourself from the stress of “perfection” you’ll be able to relax a little and have more fun growing. But in regards to the meters, really, you dont need one. If you want to check your intensity, pick your height, go up one click on light intensity everyday or every few days until they look stressed and see where you are then. Hope that helped a little

Skeggox

Skeggox

I bought the hydrofarm, and here’s whats going to happen. You’re going to use it a couple times and kick it off to the side. Wish I didnt buy it, I was like you, new to LED and thought I needed help understanding the light and looking for that “perfect” coverage. The only reason I think you need to buy an Apogee is if you plan on building a bunch of lights for different areas and need to test. If you want to know your area, you can rent an apogee for about what it cost, but you get your money back. What i’ve read and learned is, set the light at the height it needs to be for when they finish stretching and leave it there, adjust your intensity to where they are comfortable before flower and leave it there for the most part. That may or may not be the recommended height. They will grow into it and the intensity will get stronger as they get taller. Try not to get caught up in what professionals say your mols should be. You deal with your plants and let them tell you what the mols should be. You probably had larf right under the canopy because yes, the intensity wasnt strong enough, you might have always been moving the light, but you can fix all of these problems without buying a meter. I’m not trying to discourage you, but you’ll never have a perfect grow, the best you can strive for is consistently good grows. Ask anyone whose been growing longer than 5 years. If you can free yourself from the stress of “perfection” you’ll be able to relax a little and have more fun growing. But in regards to the meters, really, you dont need one. If you want to check your intensity, pick your height, go up one click on light intensity everyday or every few days until they look stressed and see where you are then. Hope that helped a little
I was just trying to at least match the intensity of my HID. The difference was almost 500 between the 2.

D

Digger

I was just trying to at least match the intensity of my HID. The difference was almost 500 between the 2.
You cant really compare them. LED is a much more efficient light so you wont need the same moles as an HID. Have you watched the videos by Dr. Bugbee on youtube about light?

Budbhoy01

Budbhoy01

Hps gives solid nuggs never tried ledbgot offerd 4 same output as 1000watt hps the lights were lumatek cost £1600 each said he’d do me 4 for £5600 so if cash is no problem go try that or do hps side by.side grow then you’ll no if it’s your led comes with 5yr warranty I understand genetics are a factor but this light has 10 settings on the dial, for the first 9 weeks I've had it mounted to the ceiling (8ft) on the 3rd notch on the dial. Still 7 settings left to go on the light. I lowered the light maybe 2 inches over 2 weeks on the same setting and the leaves are almost standing straight up. I'm at 48 inches at least off the canopy hitting 3rd week of flower. It's recommended around 28 to 30 inches during flower. I can't judge shit I'm not experienced enough to there for I need expensive shit to help me make choices so my anxiety doesn't drive me nuts. Also starting week 3 of flower. Kinda wanna make sure it's where it needs to be when it's time to pack some weight on

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

Have and used the app, but find it much easier to poke the spoton quantum meter around, or perhaps leave it for the day.

Top Bottom