Are these par meters worth it

• Thread starter Skeggox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skeggox

Skeggox

Have and used the app, but find it much easier to poke the spoton quantum meter around, or perhaps leave it for the day.
My app wasn't very accurate which needed a meter to calibrate it. So I just putshaced the par meter to be done with it

Skeggox

Skeggox

What I also want to get is a dli meter I found. They sell for $90.00 and it calculates dli over taking readings throughout the day. All this shit may be unnecessary to some perople. I kinda binge on certain things and trying to really dial in one of the most primary nutrients for the plants, ( i.e light), is driving me nuts. Especially when I seen the sun max my meter out at 2100 and 500 with a good overcast and my hlg is at 285.. so my meters is worth my peace of mind lol. I probably could have got this and would have been satisfactory. But there goes my compulsion

Screenshot 20220507 203541 Chrome
Skeggox

Skeggox

I can say the quality turned out better this round. Colas filled out a lot more being able to dial in the lights

20220531 170357
20220531 170402
20220531 170418
20220531 170340
Screenshot 20220622 011400 Gallery
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

I've seen a lot of people recommending apps and I'll be honest, they're all terribly inaccurate. I splurged on an Apogee, tested it next to each app (I have a new android), they're all completely inaccurate, like not even close. That being said, if you take thorough notes, you can dial in your light intensity with those apps over the course of 2-3 grows but it will be trial and error.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I've seen a lot of people recommending apps and I'll be honest, they're all terribly inaccurate. I splurged on an Apogee, tested it next to each app (I have a new android), they're all completely inaccurate, like not even close. That being said, if you take thorough notes, you can dial in your light intensity with those apps over the course of 2-3 grows but it will be trial and error.

Broscience is my fav, right next to ACTUAL science.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Broscience is my fav, right next to ACTUAL science.
Haven't seen that app before, just spoke from personal experience, which isn't bro science it's reading data from tools. If this app works, that's cool, I'm happy with my tools.

Also, there's plenty of room here for discussion and sharing ideas with adults without acting like a child by laughing at people and making passive aggressive comments. There are plenty of toxic communities on reddit you can take that to.

Skeggox

Skeggox

The apps I was using are way off. I had some spots hitting between 900 and 1100 umol this round. And I i was probably half that my last 3 grows going by apps. I would keep my hid at 23 inches going by the apps. They were handling the 600w at 18 inches perfectly fine. It also helps knowing how many umol/day to increase so you don't cook them. I went up 50 umol every 2 to 3 days in flower til I got an even spread of 600+ for the most part. It was definitely worth my money. I'm making edibles that hadn't even cured yet and one brownie is fucking people up for 2 days 🤣🤣

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Haven't seen that app before, just spoke from personal experience, which isn't bro science it's reading data from tools. If this app works, that's cool, I'm happy with my tools.

Also, there's plenty of room here for discussion and sharing ideas with adults without acting like a child by laughing at people and making passive aggressive comments. There are plenty of toxic communities on reddit you can take that to.

He's done other videos on other apps, no offense but what you did was the exact definition of bro science. Anecdotal. No data to back it up. Not trying to be rude but let's do what we can to maintain a consistent flow of educated growers instead of making them believe they will be a complete utter failure without buying a fancy par meter.

Please, pull the rip cord and get me started bruv.

"I've seen a lot of people recommending apps and I'll be honest, they're all terribly inaccurate. I splurged on an Apogee" we get it, you bought a $500 quantum par meter. Hope you feel better about your purchase. Speaking of TOXIC...

Skeggox

Skeggox

He's done other videos on other apps, no offense but what you did was the exact definition of bro science. Anecdotal. No data to back it up. Not trying to be rude but let's do what we can to maintain a consistent flow of educated growers instead of making them believe they will be a complete utter failure without buying a fancy par meter.

"I've seen a lot of people recommending apps and I'll be honest, they're all terribly inaccurate. I splurged on an Apogee" we get it, you bought a $500 quantum par meter. Hope you feel better about your purchase. Speaking of TOXIC...
I think the only uneducated part about it is that a lot of these meters on apps have to be calibrated. I was uneducated about that fact. They're not calibrated accurately. And to calibrate them you have to go out and buy a meter anyways. It may be just a lux meter but they still require another device/tool to calibrate. So just better off buying a par meter imo.

Skeggox

Skeggox

All the apps I compared to my meter was not correct. Way off matter of fact. Not saying every other phone app will be. But in my case I'm not bitching about the $160 par meter like I was the apps. Going by the apps I would come back and notice stretching after a few days. Then you gotta correct it. The apps are off. You're either gonna burn them or they will keep stretching. A lot of waste of energy money and time in my case going through 3 harvest like that. Also being a new grower, I can say for someone that's new and learning with leds especially if it's a 600w hlg, a par meter is somewhat necessary if you're solo and have no one with experience to personally be there and show you what's wrong. Just my 2 cents from my last year of learning

steamroller

steamroller

^^ This^^
I am glad you recognized you needed exact readings since your observations are not worth applying..
The plant could have told you or many other members ,but you have to listen .. 🤔
$160 for an Apogee?
Sounds like one of the lowest quality meters they offer, if not used?
The 500 is like $500 and is the first [ lowest model ] of acceptable meters offered for those who can't calibrate or see straight....

Skeggox

Skeggox

All the apps I compared to my meter was not correct. Way off matter of fact. Not saying every other phone app will be. But in my case I'm not bitching about the $160 par meter like I was the apps. Going by the apps I would come back and notice stretching after a few days. Then you gotta correct it. The apps are off. You're either gonna burn them or they will keep stretching. A lot of waste of energy money and time in my case going through 3 harvest like that. Also being a new grower, I can say for someone that's new and learning with leds especially if it's a 600w hlg, a par meter is somewhat necessary if you're solo and have no one with experience to personally be there and show you what's wrong. Just my 2 cents from my last year of learning
Are you laughing at the fact that I compared my apps I was using to a real meter and they were wrong? Or the fact that some of them do have to be calibrated. Because the apps I used wasn't worth a fuck according to a real meter

Skeggox

Skeggox

Because to me someone trying to grow medicine and wasting time and money over 1 year to grow low quality shit because of shotty phone apps isn't that haha to me.

steamroller

steamroller

I know the apps suck, they are free. And yes most should calibrated or the user may need to know math themselves to ball park the error.
$160 for an Apogee says you bought used or a piss poor model.
No need for meter at all.
Not laughing at you at all, beside my emoji where you proclaim....
The plants will tell you. Turn it up till they say stop.
No meter needed, just a little attention toward your effort..
I am glad you are happy with the results of your meter, I am a huge Apogee fan for years .But what a new reasonably accurate model cost is not worth it for those with 100 plants if they fail to see what is happening.
Growing 3-4 plants total waste of money.
Glad you improved your grow and hope you took notes so you can repeat.

Skeggox

Skeggox

I know the apps suck, they are free. And yes most should calibrated or the user may need to know math themselves to ball park the error.
$160 for an Apogee says you bought used or a piss poor model.
No need for meter at all.
Not laughing at you at all, beside my emoji where you proclaim....
The plants will tell you. Turn it up till they say stop.
No meter needed, just a little attention toward your effort..
I am glad you are happy with the results of your meter, I am a huge Apogee fan for years .But what a new reasonably accurate model cost is not worth it for those with 100 plants if they fail to see what is happening.
Growing 3-4 plants total waste of money.
Glad you improved your grow and hope you took notes so you can repeat.
I did not say I bought an Apogee for 160 lol

steamroller

steamroller

I did not say I bought an Apogee for 160 lol
Antidotal at best.
You lack accurate info.
I am not confused but now see some of the error that may have occurred.
My bad , not apogee. No clue what your unit is worth.

Skeggox

Skeggox

Hydrofarm sells a photobio par meter for 225. I found it on another growsite for 160 new. I'm sure someone will find trash to talk about it lol

Top Bottom