Are we spoiled?

• Thread starter BigCube
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

The other day I gave my buddy at work a sample from my last gelato grow. He was super happy and couldn't believe the flavor. He said it's better than anything he's ever got from a dispensary.

I have bought from dispensaries many times, and while I do think my stuff is better, I just thought that was because I grew it, I thought it was just my bias.

Are we as growers spoiled? Why cant everyone have this awesome flavor and high? What is industry doing so wrong?
Am I crazy? Probably, but I'd still like to know.

BigCube

BigCube

But like 2 more weeks is all it would take.

True - time is money, but I'm sure you could charge more for better product.

I also notice they like to brag about their product, what better bragging rights could you have? 🤣

Vagician

Vagician

There are definitely mids factories everywhere. Some growers/dispensaries do an amazing job but most of them are Brads and Chads who don't put any soul into their product. Home grow buds have always been my favorite because every plant has been given the love she needs.

bunkerking

bunkerking

But like 2 more weeks is all it would take.

True - time is money, but I'm sure you could charge more for better product.

I also notice they like to brag about their product, what better bragging rights could you have? 🤣

how many people do you know who buy large amounts of t1 bud at stores?

Market doesn't support the prices, gotta cut corners to even make a buck.

Otherwise why put in so much effort for almost 0 return on it.

bunkerking

bunkerking

They still have to pay to get it tested, and packaged, and shipped... yada yada yada. Just not a ton of money in it with the WH pricing being so low.

Nugg

Nugg

Hmm.cost me 400$ to grow 2-4# depends how bad I do...so low side is 2#.. that's 4 months..100$ a month...say 64 oz..at 200$ that's 12,800$.. 12,400$ profit...I know they do better than I do...I don't profit that much I smoke oz week myself..it's just a reference as to how much they do profit...they don't make much my ass...some places around charge 20$ gram...28g per oz..is 1792 g..×20$..35,840$..that's just with 2#...for that kinda money they make it should be better then anything I can grow..but as said above...

BigCube

BigCube

They still have to pay to get it tested, and packaged, and shipped... yada yada yada. Just not a ton of money in it with the WH pricing being so low.

I get that. I honestly have no idea what its like to run a large grow like that. I'm sure its not easy to turn a good profit.

When I bought from dispensaries, I always bought top grade. Some of it's not bad, but I get the not having as much time with each plant or love or whatever. I guess we just take for granted how easy it is to do for us, but hard for a business to justify.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Puffed some wedding cake last night from a dispensary and it kicked ass. Seriously good smoke but it is few and far between even here is cali.

Outco is one of the better growers here and their super glue was top of the line. I was paying $125 a half for it a few years ago and it always knocked my socks off. Can't find it today for any price which is another problem, they have to supply what's in demand and that changes like the wind around these parts.

Unfortunately most of the growing companies are trying to go from plant to harvest as quick as possible and we see the end results, sub-par weed.

You're right, we're spoiled in the strains we grow and how we care for and harvest them. It's a good thing!

Vagician

Vagician

A smaller grow (~1500 square feet) with 2 growers easily can flip 400 pounds every year. Wholesale pricing at $1,500/lb gives you $600,000/year. If you have your own processing and a retail store then it can be much higher than that ($3.2 million per year, gross, in that 400 pound situation @~$18/g). But then there's the leases, utilities, licensing fees, insurance, attorney retainers, marketing, etc. Companies charging $18-$20 per gram should be able to pay their people well enough that they love their job and grow amazing flowers. That's the problem though, some operations only pay their people ~$15 and the executives take the lion's share. Long story short, home grow if you can, it's far cheaper, fairly easy, and you won't put your hard earned money into some Chad's pocket so he can buy a yacht. Go to the dispensary for your concentrates and edibles because that shit gets frustrating really quick.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Depends on the dispensary I would assume. Probably some great ones out there but many are probably looking to make coin above all else. I have no doubt that some are bouncing their finished buds to separate tricomes in order to make other products to sell.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Hmm.cost me 400$ to grow 2-4# depends how bad I do...so low side is 2#.. that's 4 months..100$ a month...say 64 oz..at 200$ that's 12,800$.. 12,400$ profit...I know they do better than I do...I don't profit that much I smoke oz week myself..it's just a reference as to how much they do profit...they don't make much my ass...some places around charge 20$ gram...28g per oz..is 1792 g..×20$..35,840$..that's just with 2#...for that kinda money they make it should be better then anything I can grow..but as said above...

Lol yah sure.

SadBadGrower

SadBadGrower

The other day I gave my buddy at work a sample from my last gelato grow. He was super happy and couldn't believe the flavor. He said it's better than anything he's ever got from a dispensary.

I have bought from dispensaries many times, and while I do think my stuff is better, I just thought that was because I grew it, I thought it was just my bias.

Are we as growers spoiled? Why cant everyone have this awesome flavor and high? What is industry doing so wrong?
Am I crazy? Probably, but I'd still like to know.
Now that I grow, I have found myself turning away bud a couple times because it didn't look good enough. Then I am all like hey so I got this weed from "person A "....and pull out what I grew and everyone is like well shit!!! We are 110% spoiling ourselves because I am not the turn free weed away type person.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I noticed this many years ago when Colorado first legalized for medical, but it seems to me, especially these days, all the weed I have gotten from medical and recreational dispensaries 99% of the time, the buds were harvested prematurely. Even strains I have gotten from medical dispensaries that allegedly have 25% + THC, seems more like 5%.

I haven't had to buy weed from a dispensary in years, though I still have friends who share their store bought stuff with me.

I'm sure this is very common practice in the industry especially for the big commercial grows. I have worked for several big medical and recreational operations, and like others have said, time is money. Usually whoever is in charge doesn't give a shit about potency. Once they come by and see the buds aren't growing any bigger, they give the order to chop.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
time = money.

margins are tight.

Especially here in Colorado, margins are disappearing quickly. Dispos are selling 50 dollar ounces here all day now. I can't even pay my power bill at 50 an ounce. Many mom and pop operations are really struggling out here now.

Homesteader

Homesteader

They gotta pay people salaries, they gotta pay rent, Insurance, grow equipment on a large scale. This isn't the black market yo.
Does that make it right for them to sell inferior product to customers for a ridiculously high cost? If they can't produce quality they shouldn't be in business. I've only been to a few dispensarys to be honest and both times the high sucked and once I could literally taste the added magnesium in the back of my teeth for days. All for $50-60 an 1/8. No thanks.

I'm sure there are tons of great dispensary but good luck finding one. Ill pass.

SadBadGrower

SadBadGrower

Does the strains have anything to do with it? Or are they just being chopped down super early? I am growing a Butter Cookies from seed found in a dispensary product and only a couple weeks old. Don't want to waste my time if it isn't worth it.

Nugg

Nugg

Does the strains have anything to do with it? Or are they just being chopped down super early? I am growing a Butter Cookies from seed found in a dispensary product and only a couple weeks old. Don't want to waste my time if it isn't worth it.
I'd grow it..if you can grow..it'll turn out I'm sure..it's not about the high..it's the flavor and the effect it has in the body..make it taste and feel good..it's all good..

Top Bottom