Asked 3 sites got 3 different answers

• Thread starter Rdub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rdub

Rdub

Hey guys this is the 4th site I’ve asked as every answer I’ve heard has been wildly differen. I’ve heard nute burn, cal deficiency, And P deficiency. I’m leaning forward nute burn but I don’t know what to think anymore. A little background on the grow to help out. Using ff hydro trio running around 850 ppm. Plants are 6 weeks old . Trainwreck strain. SolarSystem 1100 lighting. Temps from 68-75, rh from 46-55. Grown in Autopots. Auto pot reservoir checked daily and Ph to 5.8~. Medium is 50/50 coco perlite. So now with the issue. Starting as small brown spots on lower fan leaves until consuming the whole leaf. At first it was just one of the 4 plants affected now it’s 3 of the 4. I forgot to mention I’ve been supplementing with full strrenghth Cali mag. These pictures are from last week and it’s gotten considerably worse. 2 of the plants affected are barely growing. Anyway pics below and thanks for looking

Asked 3 sites got 3 different answers
Asked 3 sites got 3 different answers 2
Asked 3 sites got 3 different answers 3
Asked 3 sites got 3 different answers 4
Rdub

Rdub

Oh I forgot to mention the leaves on the first plant affected have started becoming dry and kind of crunchy. New growth isn’t showing signs of brown spotting but the leaves feel dry and new growth is slooow

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Hey guys this is the 4th site I’ve asked as every answer I’ve heard has been wildly differen. I’ve heard nute burn, cal deficiency, And P deficiency. I’m leaning forward nute burn but I don’t know what to think anymore. A little background on the grow to help out. Using ff hydro trio running around 850 ppm. Plants are 6 weeks old . Trainwreck strain. SolarSystem 1100 lighting. Temps from 68-75, rh from 46-55. Grown in Autopots. Auto pot reservoir checked daily and Ph to 5.8~. Medium is 50/50 coco perlite. So now with the issue. Starting as small brown spots on lower fan leaves until consuming the whole leaf. At first it was just one of the 4 plants affected now it’s 3 of the 4. I forgot to mention I’ve been supplementing with full strrenghth Cali mag. These pictures are from last week and it’s gotten considerably worse. 2 of the plants affected are barely growing. Anyway pics below and thanks for looking
As an outdoor grower I'd say easy on the nutes and see what happens. I know plants in coco need daily feeding but too much will cause a nute lock out and you end up with with all kinds of problems. Lighten it up for a few days and see what happens.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Too much of of one nutrient can cause deficiencies on another, so this might be one reason that you get different answers. Have you measured your runoff PPM and Ph? Too much Cal-Mag can raise the Ph and cause magnesium deficiencies, which is sort of what it looks like you have. If the Ph is incorrect, nutrients won't be available for the plant to use, despite a ton of it being in the soil. FF products are usually pretty strong, so the 1st thing I would try is to determine what your drainage water looks like, as far as PPM and Ph are concerned. After that, it will be easier to determine what the problem could be... an overfeeding, and underfeeding, or a deficiency caused by nutrient lockouts. The plant looks fine as far as watering and sun goes, but something isn't right in the root zone unless you are splashing stuff all over your leaves, which is unlikely.
The devil is in the details!

BigCube

BigCube

When I water coco, I watered once every 2 days in veg, and once a day in flower. 3.5 gallon pot. Watering with 2 liters (half gallon) gives me about 20% runoff.

Runoff comes out dirty. I save it and give it to my dad who's too cheap to buy nutes. He waters it down half and his plants love it.

Every time I water I used full strength GH flora series, a touch of calmag and vitathrive aka aussie tonic. In flower I run the gh flora full strength bloom mix, cut the vitathrive and cut the calmag in half, after a few days I work in the pk spike, and ween off the N. Then basically I go balls to the wall often passing 1800 ppm.
Till flush where I ween the nutes to zero and flush for a week.

I am actually very happy with how this promix hpcc with mycorrhizae performs.

Rdub

Rdub

Too much of of one nutrient can cause deficiencies on another, so this might be one reason that you get different answers. Have you measured your runoff PPM and Ph? Too much Cal-Mag can raise the Ph and cause magnesium deficiencies, which is sort of what it looks like you have. If the Ph is incorrect, nutrients won't be available for the plant to use, despite a ton of it being in the soil. FF products are usually pretty strong, so the 1st thing I would try is to determine what your drainage water looks like, as far as PPM and Ph are concerned. After that, it will be easier to determine what the problem could be... an overfeeding, and underfeeding, or a deficiency caused by nutrient lockouts. The plant looks fine as far as watering and sun goes, but something isn't right in the root zone unless you are splashing stuff all over your leaves, which is unlikely.
The devil is in the details!
I don’t have any runoff because I don’t top water. It’s wicks from a tray underneath it. It’s also under a Scrog screen sonlifting it up is pretty much impossible without breaking branches, but I have measured the solution in the tray after 24 hours and it all check out. When I though it was a bite deficiency I foliar fed 3 nights in a row with full strength nute solution so .... technically water did splash on it and that’s when it really started getting bad. I learned from that mistake but now nite burn is making more sense huh

Rdub

Rdub

I don’t have any runoff because I don’t top water. It’s wicks from a tray underneath it. It’s also under a Scrog screen sonlifting it up is pretty much impossible without breaking branches, but I have measured the solution in the tray after 24 hours and it all check out. When I though it was a bite deficiency I foliar fed 3 nights in a row with full strength nute solution so .... technically water did splash on it and that’s when it really started getting bad. I learned from that mistake but now nite burn is making more sense huh

Sorry for the spelling errors

Rdub

Rdub

This all leads me to my next question. Because of the nature of Autopots and the fact all four are weaved heavily into a Scrog screen flushing from the top is pretty much impossible. Should I fill the res with just plain ph water for a week or just keep 1/4 strength nutes in it ( currently what I have in there )

Rdub

Rdub

Here is what all four of them look like as of yesterday. Notice the leaves on the one have gotten much worse. It accelerated after foliar feeding. I’ve since stopped that

811A2E52 C789 4143 8138 11F70FA60FF2
0F0F9E8F 568F 4EFA 9105 FAABD63083E7
588F0AE5 BBF0 40F6 AEC5 674634A61D60
D6A75ABC 2B7B 454A 8AB8 C1735C242883
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Over fed... They are wicking as in you are feeding from the bottom correct? I have never grown with this method but I would assume you need to flush from the top once in a while to keep the medium from a build up of salt and it only makes sense that you would see these issues if not doing so

Just thinking outloud as I have no experience with this setup.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
850 is hot for a 50/50 coco mix imho. I'd be running more like 300-500. And feed the cal seperate if possible, ideally top fed with a wand to keep it out of the res. When you get too many free nutrients like calcium and phosphorus in the nutrient solution things start coming together to form insoluble compounds like calcium phosphate, locking them out of the plant.

I'd let the bottom res dry up and top feed with some 300ppm nute solution, then bump back up to 400-500 in the res for the wick, should sort things out

Rdub

Rdub

850 is hot for a 50/50 coco mix imho. I'd be running more like 300-500. And feed the cal seperate if possible, ideally top fed with a wand to keep it out of the res. When you get too many free nutrients like calcium and phosphorus in the nutrient solution things start coming together to form insoluble compounds like calcium phosphate, locking them out of the plant.

I'd let the bottom res dry up and top feed with some 300ppm nute solution, then bump back up to 400-500 in the res for the wick, should sort things out
Thanks and good advice . Will definitely do that. Oh and a big thanks to everyone that’s chimed in. this has easily been the most helpful of the forums so far.

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Do you have a water softener system? I had one, didn’t think about the salt and I ended up with the same results.

Seraphine

Seraphine

IMO you have a few issues going on. You definitely have a phosphorus deficiency based on the damaged leaves. It starts with irregular yellow spots on the lower leaves, then the yellow turns brown and eventually crisping up and falling off. Phosphorus deficiency is mobile and will work its way up the plant.

Secondly, too much nitrogen, not detrimental during vegetative growth but you’ll see your plant deteriorate if you keep it up during flower.

I think the phosphorus deficiency is occurring due to salt build up because your not getting runoff. Each coco feed needs run off to flush salts and prevent salt build up which will cause nutrient lock out. Bottom feeding with coco is no good. You have to find another way feed your plants.

Rdub

Rdub

Well for now I’ve flushed each pot with 10 gallons of ro water with FloraKleen. My ro systems and shop vac got a workout. I’ve reduced ppm in the res to ~400. I don’t have a water softener and I use a ro/di unit to make my water. While I don’t doubt and I’m beginning to learn that bottom feeding coco can be tricky. The forums are full of success stories using the same exact media that I’m using in the same exact system without flushing until the last week of their lives. Root rot could potentially be an issue but I am using about 2 inches of clay pellets in the bottom in conjunction with air domes constantly blowing air over the roots so I feel pretty confident that it’s not an issue. I really have no way to check it anyway until the plant is gone past the point of no return and I pull the whole pot from the tent. I’ve heard pho’s deficiency and that was the first thing that I concluded when all this began but then I got to thinking... would they even really show a P deficiency in veg? Anyway thanks for the advice guys I’ll keep ya all posted on how they are doing in a few days. Oh one last thing, should I remove some of those extra brown and crispy leaves or just them fall off on their own?

Top Bottom