Attention all electricians!

• Thread starter GDS StonerBoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GDS StonerBoy

Hey all after my recent mishap, i went out an bought a place just for my grow. I bought a mobile home just for growing purposes and if anyone is willing to help i'd like to know how to set it up to run a couple thousand watts without burning the place down. For the time being i'll only be setting up one room. I'd like the room to run atleast 2400k of electricity.

So how exactly do i set this up safely?

Any help is greatly appreciated fella's!

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
pm fear hes the electrician round here im shure he can tell you wat u need 2 know

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Are you able to run new circuits yourself? You could run a 20amp 240V circuit for your lights, which will give you room to grow should you want to down the road. And then you could run a 20amp 120V circuit for an A/C, then maybe 2 15amp 120V circuits for accessories. Fear is the m-f'in man on that shit, i'm sure he'll chime in.

G

GDS StonerBoy

I cant run it myself as for right now but once i know what i have to do, i'll be able to do it then. I have an electrician i can get to do it but i want him to do as little work as possible because i dont want him asking too many questions.

He's a cousin of mine and is fairly cool but he's young and nosey. Learned electrician work in the military and he has been doing it for 6 years now.

Anyway though does this have to be near the breaker box? The room is completely across the mobile home so its a nice distance away from the box.

F

Fear

Thanks Pimpin, Johnny can help too. Run 240v 60 amps to a 60 sub panel to the trailer that will take care of any power requirements you might need. Distribute power in the trailer from the new sub panel 240v 120v whatever you want

G

GDS StonerBoy

Thanks Pimpin, Johnny can help too. Run 240v 60 amps to a 60 sub panel to the trailer that will take care of any power requirements you might need. Distribute power in the trailer from the new sub panel 240v 120v whatever you want

ok ummm i have no clue what none of that is. I'm totally clueless when it comes to this but if i can get a general idea, i'll research the rest.

F

Fear

Ok if your main panel at the house has space enough to a 2 pole 60 amp breaker. You'll need to From your main panel run #6 UF cable. (designed to go underground trench it 2' miniumum up to you) from the main panel to the trailer. Trench to trailer from main panel, then install cable into the main and then a new sub panel in the trailer bringing cable through the wall or floor of trailer to a wall mountable 60 amp sub panel. You can get lighting controls or do many different thing with this new panel. Anything you want.

#1 install new 240v 2 pole 60-50 amp breaker at main.
#2 install new 60 amp sub panel in trailer.
#3 trench to trailer
#4 Lay #6 2 conductor UF cable in trench
#5 Make up cable at both ends into main panel and sub panel using connectors at all points of entry. (don't just knock out the ko and run cable through it.)
energize and test sub panel make sure 240v is there.
#6 cover trench back up.
# 7 wire grow room the way you need with no probs.

C

cway

Ok if your main panel at the house has space enough to a 2 pole 60 amp breaker. You'll need to From your main panel run #6 UF cable. (designed to go underground trench it 2' miniumum up to you) from the main panel to the trailer. Trench to trailer from main panel, then install cable into the main and then a new sub panel in the trailer bringing cable through the wall or floor of trailer to a wall mountable 60 amp sub panel. You can get lighting controls or do many different thing with this new panel. Anything you want.

#1 install new 240v 2 pole 60-50 amp breaker at main.
#2 install new 60 amp sub panel in trailer.
#3 trench to trailer
#4 Lay #6 2 conductor UF cable in trench
#5 Make up cable at both ends into main panel and sub panel using connectors at all points of entry. (don't just knock out the ko and run cable through it.)
energize and test sub panel make sure 240v is there.
#6 cover trench back up.
# 7 wire grow room the way you need with no probs.

Hey Fear What Up man..

First off much respect for being a Electrician guru...

Forgive my ignorance, and I assume GDS feels the same way, but could you break that down to lame mans terms for us? I have the same prob as GDS and was about to open a new thread....

How do you do 1 and 2 without frying yourself...???

Thanks...

G

GDS StonerBoy

Ok First off big thanks Fear for taking the time to share your knowledge with me. Excuse my ignorance though cause i know absolutely nothing when it comes to electrician work but by "#1 install new 240v 2 pole 60-50 amp breaker at main" are you talking the main breaker box installed in the house or are you referring to the outdoors breaker that runs from the pole to the house?

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Anyway though does this have to be near the breaker box? The room is completely across the mobile home so its a nice distance away from the box.

I think this may have been over-looked... GDS, you're saying the trailer already has power right? The trailer has a breaker box in it, correct?

F

Fear

Stonerboy the main at the house is what I was talking about. Not the pole. Unless that is easier and not to conspicuous. Also you will want to stub 2' under ground with a piece of rigid and bring the cable through that to the trench. You just want to hide everything and protect any exposed wire.

cway I will tell you later. how to do #1 and 2 tomorrow let me find some pics and I will give you some safe techniques so ou can work things live if you want. Otherwise shut the main off and work away. If you want to be able to test this work properly by a fluke electrical meter. Or any meter if money is a problem. I will photo graph my meter and find a panel I can give examples on tomorrow. Later

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Nice friggen read guys.. Very informative once again.
GDS you be in good hands. No such thing as a stupid question while learning, so ask away when in need.
:passingjoint:

GTD

C

cway

cway I will tell you later. how to do #1 and 2 tomorrow let me find some pics and I will give you some safe techniques so ou can work things live if you want. Otherwise shut the main off and work away. If you want to be able to test this work properly by a fluke electrical meter. Or any meter if money is a problem. I will photo graph my meter and find a panel I can give examples on tomorrow. Later

Thanks brutha..... ill be waitin.. :cool0010:

F

Fear

ok cway tell me if this helps you. I opened my panel and did a photo shoot for ya.

G

GDS StonerBoy

I think this may have been over-looked... GDS, you're saying the trailer already has power right? The trailer has a breaker box in it, correct?

Sorry for the late response i was out of town for a couple of days but to answer your question yes it already has a breaker box. I havent had the electric company come turn the power on yet though.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Well in that case, it's just a simple matter of adding whatever circuits you need.

F

Fear

oH JOHNNY I missed that and a faq is a series of questions and answers.

P

pure arghan

Ok First off big thanks Fear for taking the time to share your knowledge with me. Excuse my ignorance though cause i know absolutely nothing when it comes to electrician work but by "#1 install new 240v 2 pole 60-50 amp breaker at main" are you talking the main breaker box installed in the house or are you referring to the outdoors breaker that runs from the pole to the house?
hows it going lad, fear is talking shit, wot you want to do is find out if you have power at the mean board, there is normaly only 1, unles there is a garage, you dont need to worry about that any one will do, you will need a 32amp trip to site the board that you have, the best way to get the wright one is to take the name of the board to your local electrical hole sealer and they should help you out, the next thing you need to do is get some 2.5 twin & earth wire, you can get this at the same place, wolud recomend that you buy 100 meters of it as it will work out cheaper in the long run but it wiil depend on where you buy it from, would say not to buy from b&q as they are to dear, now you want to take one leath of cable to your nearest socket, and take an outher leath of cable from the trip to the last socket, then you jion the sockets together buy joining a leath of cable from the frist socket to the second then the 3rd and so on till you reach the last socket completing the sercit and making wot we call in the terad a ring main, if you dont under stand any of this i can break it down fether but i think than the best way for you to get to grips with it would be for you to ask one of the blokes at the hole sealers, they should know how do wire this, but the one thing you must do to be safe is make sure that the power is off before you start, you can switch the power off with the main switch but be carfull cos ther will stiil be power when you take the cover off, and one more thing, concet the sockets frist before you concet the tip and you should be ok, if you cant or dont want to work with power cables then just get a spark in, you dont need to till him that you are growing, the best thing to till him is that you need the pionts for a kitchen, a kitchen uses the same power, the pionts are spaced out much the same as 600w lights and a kitchen needs extractor fans and thoughs fans have carbon fillters just the same as us growers use, hope that hellps you out

Latest posts

Top Bottom