Attention All Root Pack Users

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Str8Dank

Str8Dank

Idk if someone said this or asked this yet as I didn't read all posts but I wonder how much cotton cellulose if any exists in smart pots.

Reactions: mal
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
So the cellulose enzyme is produced by trichodema as they multiply.

Did you know how they stonewash denim jeans?

Thats right. A trichoderma treatment. seriously.

Learn something new everyday. Thanks, Cap.

outwest

liketosmoke

liketosmoke

cap uses a battery acid to make PH down,he dilutes it and that is where the holes in the clothes is coming from or the bennies.i don't think there is sulfuric acid in the bennies.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
cap uses a battery acid to make PH down,he dilutes it and that is where the holes in the clothes is coming from or the bennies.i don't think there is sulfuric acid in the bennies.

exactly.

I left a tshirt out last night with some root pack sprinkled on it. If its fine today I'll hit it with some acid and see if that's maybe whats making all the holes.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Do not allow the root pack to contact any of your cotton clothing!

I have been getting moth like holes in all my favorite duds. I found out that the root pack has an enzyme in it that eats cotton cellulose. Thought it was moths for weeks.

Please be careful around cotton clothing, furniture, etc...
HILARIOUS!

Several years ago I discovered what active microbes can do when I had the absolutely brilliant idea to mix soil on our back deck using a painter's canvas for a mixing tarp, instead of plastic. I let it set to culture for about two weeks, then went to turn it. The canvas just disintegrated in my hands, and my husband chewed my sorry ass! He had plans for that canvas.

Folks have told me it's impossible, that they only live in contact/presence of living plant roots, but I know better.

Absolutely hilarious, thanks for the laugh.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
HILARIOUS!

Several years ago I discovered what active microbes can do when I had the absolutely brilliant idea to mix soil on our back deck using a painter's canvas for a mixing tarp, instead of plastic. I let it set to culture for about two weeks, then went to turn it. The canvas just disintegrated in my hands, and my husband chewed my sorry ass! He had plans for that canvas.

Folks have told me it's impossible, that they only live in contact/presence of living plant roots, but I know better.

Absolutely hilarious, thanks for the laugh.

Totally. canvas is expensive.

It was so trippy because the holes were noticed when i was taking clothes out of the dryer. LOTS of holes. Like something chewed them up. I was pissed, and couldn't figure it out.

But then the other day my girl sees these light spots on my shirt that almost look like bleach spots but not quite. As soon as I inspected them, the spots literally disintegrated and turned to holes (definitely NOT bleach).

SO its gotta be something i am using. I weigh bennies out pretty much every day, and I use sulfuric acid pretty much every day.... now its a matter of deduction. Your story definitely gives more credibility to the assumed cause though.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh shit! Another major clothing fuck up that I didn't expect so can advise folks not to do--don't make a paste of OxiClean and leave that on your clothes overnight.

I missed that you're using sulfuric acid. My ex-husband used to work at an outfit that made printed circuit boards, the kind that you have to use electrolysis to lay down thin layers of different metals. His clothes and shoes were ALL eaten up! They used many different kinds of acids, Aqua Regia kind of stuff, not just sulfuric acid. However, with that stuff, it doesn't matter what fiber the material is, it's all eaten through. Even his leather boots showed damage from the acids and such. Talk about a chemical nightmare.

Since you're saying it's *only* the cottons (natural fibers? Perhaps you should try out linen for a change), though, my money is on the microbes themselves.

Reactions: mal
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
My t-shirt test:

Took an old t-shirt. dropped some of the root pack powder on it, and added water. Nothing.

Made tea. Dumped a half cup of tea on one spot.

Dumped a half cup of sulfuric acid on another spot.

Checked today. Tea spot is good (only stained). Root pack spot is good.

Sulfuric acid spot disintegrated when I touched it.

IF YOU USE SULFURIC ACID... KEEP IT AWAY FROM YOUR NICE CLOTHES!!!!!!!

Bennies seem to be fine.

click80

click80

I was bored for a second...this is how it started...now they have modified it to make biofuels and also clean oil spills and lots of other bioremediation processes. I don't think many people realize how cutting edge all this is....not just in Soil Science but the other applications that are possible...they did change it though so it no longer will "eat your shorts"...lol

The discovery of Trichoderma reesei, the target of the published analysis, dates back to World War II, when it was identified as the culprit responsible for the deterioration of fatigues and tents in the South Pacific. This progenitor strain has since yielded variants for broad industrial applications and is known today as an abundant source of enzymes, particularly cellulases and hemicellulases, currently being explored to catalyze the deconstruction of plant cell walls as a first step towards the production of biofuels from lignocellulose.

click80

click80

oh, I meant about the stonewashing thing, nothing else....I know you don't have anything like this in your stuff Cap.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My t-shirt test:

Took an old t-shirt. dropped some of the root pack powder on it, and added water. Nothing.

Made tea. Dumped a half cup of tea on one spot.

Dumped a half cup of sulfuric acid on another spot.

Checked today. Tea spot is good (only stained). Root pack spot is good.

Sulfuric acid spot disintegrated when I touched it.

IF YOU USE SULFURIC ACID... KEEP IT AWAY FROM YOUR NICE CLOTHES!!!!!!!

Bennies seem to be fine.
Yeah, sulfuric, muriatic, Aqua Regia, even.

Don't forget, the canvas took a full two weeks to become eaten. I think the animals need time to do their thang.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Yeah the sulfuric acid did not take that long. Perhaps the root pack will do it also, but it will take longer. In any case I no longer wear my nice clothes when I have work to do.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well, now you have the appropriate clothing to use for those tasks. I learned that lesson the first time I stained some stuff using Floranova Bloom. MAN that shit stains!

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

ahahaha lol i ruined an efff load of shirts and pants servicing car batteries. Your right CAP there will be no holes until you put your clothes in the dryer most of the time. I should have warned you when I read you were making ph down with sulfur.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Hey, all bennie users,
I ran across an e-book on soil biology and copied this from it.
Measuring activity levels. Activity is determined by measuring the amount of by-products, such as CO2, generated in the soil, or the disappearance of substances, such as plant residue or methane used by a large portion of the community or by specific groups of organisms.
These measurements reflect the total “work” the community can do. Total biological activity is the sum of activities of all organisms, though only a portion are active at a particular time.
  • Respiration – measuring CO2 production. This method does not distinguish which organisms (plants, pathogens, or other soil organisms) are generating the CO2.
  • Nitrification rates – measuring the activity of those species involved in the conversion of ammonium to nitrate.
  • Decomposition rates – measuring the speed of disappearance of organic residue or standardized cotton strips.

Seems that Sea was actually "testing" her soil and it was up to snuff. Apparently the battery acid just works a little faster. Anyway, those of us without microscopes can at least tell if our stuff is alive or not.

Top Bottom