Auntie's Garage Garden 🌿

• Thread starter AuntieKush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AuntieKush

AuntieKush

Hi everyone Auntie here with my first grow.

A little bit of backstory: one of my close friends has been growing for a long time, but had to take a pause recently, so he gave me a bunch of his old gear. I inherited the tent, ducting, exhaust fan, plywood platform, and a watering kit (haven't set that up yet).

I had the tent sitting around for a couple of weeks, and just finally got around to getting the Mars Hydro TS 3000 lights, a Pulse grow monitor, and 9 clones (I paid for 8, but got one for free 😁).

The strains I'm growing:
3x Gelato #45
2x Wedding Cake
2x Cherry on Top
2x Sweet Thang

Does anyone have experience with these?
resized IMG_2062 (Medium).JPG

I'm growing them in soil - I used Fox Farm Ocean Forest, a bag of perlite, and a little bit of dolomite lime. I didn't have enough pots, so I had to wash out some of my old pots and transplant some of my random other potted plants. I really hope I cleaned them well enough not to have introduced any pests.
resized IMG_2064 (Medium).JPG

Mixing up the dirt:
resized IMG_2065 (Medium).JPG

Here they are all potted up:
resized IMG_2068 (Medium).JPG

Here's my tent setup:
It's in my garage behind a big ol tapestry.

resized IMG_2072 (Medium).JPG

resized IMG_2083 (Medium).JPG

I've got it venting out to a perfect port that goes outside of my garage into the yard:

resized IMG_2076 (Medium).JPG

resized IMG_2070 (Medium).JPG

Here's a pic of pretty much everything in the tent:
Don't mind the box fan in there, I'm getting a couple of smaller clip on fans in a bit.

resized IMG_2082 (Medium).JPG

And here's how things are looking:

2020-04-03 kush 4x4 Annotated.png

They're on approximately 18 hours on / 6 hours off. I still have to fiddle with the timer a bit more.

Some questions - are they going to be okay at ~ 50% humidity and about 70-80F? I'm considering getting a humidifier while my babies are so little.

What do you all think? Any pointers and feedback? Looking forward to learning from you all. There seems to be such a wealth of experience and knowledge on here!

Last edited:
Terpz719

Terpz719

Welcome to the Farm. Looks like you're off to a great start! I haven't grown any of those strains, but REALLY like Gelato #45 when I can find it. I'd say let the Pulse guide you, but I usually run higher than 50% humidity with babies.

Not sure where the intake is for the air coming into the tent. You might have a bit of an issue with the tent "sucking in" when the inline fan runs. I have about the exact same tent and had to provide air into the tent from two ports to keep the tent from bending in too much when the fan spun up to the higher speeds. I was concerned that over time it might cause some gapping at the zippers and seams.

Good luck!

AuntieKush

AuntieKush

Welcome to the Farm. Looks like you're off to a great start! I haven't grown any of those strains, but REALLY like Gelato #45 when I can find it. I'd say let the Pulse guide you, but I usually run higher than 50% humidity with babies.

Not sure where the intake is for the air coming into the tent. You might have a bit of an issue with the tent "sucking in" when the inline fan runs. I have about the exact same tent and had to provide air into the tent from two ports to keep the tent from bending in too much when the fan spun up to the higher speeds. I was concerned that over time it might cause some gapping at the zippers and seams.

Good luck!

Terpz, I've got a humidifier in there now, and I opened one of those ports - thanks for the tips. I'll post some more detail soon.

AuntieKush

AuntieKush

Hey everyone,

Wanted to update you all on what I've been up to.
I was a little worried about my humidity being too low for such little plants, so I put a humidifier that I had around the house in there.

The capacity was a bit low and it required refills too often, so I bought a top-fill humidifier instead.

I've gotta say the little babies are looking much happier! Here's some shots:
The setup:

New growth:

Here's what things looked like while I was fiddling with the humidity. Seems like it's paying off though, the plants really seem like they're taking off.

2020 04 06 kush 4x4 annotated 2

I'm getting some new fans (to get rid of the box fan) and a couple of inkbirds to really get things nice and tropical in there for my babies.

I guess I should top them once they're all looking happy? Any tips?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Looks good! when you top them wait till they've grown five nodes, and then top them at the third node

Last edited:
AuntieKush

AuntieKush

Hey ya'll! Auntie here with an update,

So I got some more new gear (again)! I'm starting to think that growing might turn out to be more expensive than smoking! Lol. Anyway, I got some inkbird controllers ($70 on amazon), some cloth pots, clip fans (still looking for some better ones than these), magnet hooks and little metal plates.

04162020 1

The magnet hooks & plates are to hang all of my stuff in the tent. Here's how the inkbirds are hanging. There's a metal plate on the other side of the tent that the magnet sticks to.

04162020 2

It's getting pretty messy with all of these wires everywhere. Any tips on what to do about them?

04162020 3

Here's how my babies are looking. They grow up so fast, it's mind boggling.

04162020 4

And a couple of closeups:

04162020 5

04162020 6

04162020 7

And here's how things are looking. Hint: they're looking pretty good!! Didn't realize growing would be this fun.

04162020 8

They're getting big so quickly. I'm planning on topping them soon. I'm also considering getting bigger pots (5 gallon). They are in two gallon pots right now. When should I repot?

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

I went from solo cups to 1gal to 3gal. But i grow 5 plants in a 3x2, so they are on the smaller side and really fill the space up 💁 i think it just comes down to how big you plan on letting them get, but i have also seen some absurdly big plants in some absurdly small pots 🤷 as long as they are maintained with care, and happy, i say follow your heart, because its clearly able to feel it :)

Terpz719

Terpz719

Hey ya'll! Auntie here with an update,

So I got some more new gear (again)! I'm starting to think that growing might turn out to be more expensive than smoking! Lol. Anyway, I got some inkbird controllers ($70 on amazon), some cloth pots, clip fans (still looking for some better ones than these), magnet hooks and little metal plates.

View attachment 962575

The magnet hooks & plates are to hang all of my stuff in the tent. Here's how the inkbirds are hanging. There's a metal plate on the other side of the tent that the magnet sticks to.

View attachment 962576

It's getting pretty messy with all of these wires everywhere. Any tips on what to do about them?

View attachment 962577

Here's how my babies are looking. They grow up so fast, it's mind boggling.

View attachment 962578

And a couple of closeups:

View attachment 962579

View attachment 962581

View attachment 962582

And here's how things are looking. Hint: they're looking pretty good!! Didn't realize growing would be this fun.

View attachment 962583

They're getting big so quickly. I'm planning on topping them soon. I'm also considering getting bigger pots (5 gallon). They are in two gallon pots right now. When should I repot?
They do grow up so fast! It looks to me that they can go a longer in those two gallon pots. It depends on how much room you have and how large of a plant you want to grow. That'll dictate on how long to veg them. You may need to water a little more frequently as they get bigger if you leave them in the two gal. You'll just need to keep an eye on them. It depends to on what size pots you plan on flowering in. If you're going to up pot to fives for flowering, definitely do that a week or so before you flip them to flower.

Just as a point of reference, in my current grow, I vegged in one gallons till the plants were 12"-14", then up potted to three gallons for flowering. They could have gone longer in the one gallon pots, but I was ready to flip them based on the size of the plants I ultimately wanted to end up with. I hope this makes sense because I really need more coffee.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Make sure that there is no light at all inside the tent during dark period, even in veg but particularly in bloom. Even small lights (example: lighted on-off switches) that can't be removed must be covered with duct tape

AuntieKush

AuntieKush

Hi everyone, Auntie Kush here w/ another update!

So first things first, my plants were looking pretty happy and based on some advice, I went ahead and topped them.

1 pre top

This is what they looked like after the top:

2 topped

I was worried I didn't take off enough. However pretty soon, this was the least of my worries. I go in my tent to check on how they were doing a couple of days later, and discovered THIS:

MOLDDDDDDDDDD

3 moldy leaf

Anyway, I found a recipe for a mold spray (1 tbsp baking soda, 1 tbsp cooking oil, a couple of drops of dish soap to 1 gallon of water) and sprayed my plants after tearing off any affected leaves.

4 spray

They're looking okay after spraying, but then I went in to check on them 12 hours later and the tips were all greyish/brown on a couple of the plants. I realized that I made the spray way too strong. I used 1 quart of water rather than a gallon.

5 burn 1

I was worried when i noticed, but they've since bounced back. I plan on spraying once a week (with a more dilute spray) to prevent the mold from coming back.

Here's how things are looking:

6 mold chart

I dropped my RH a bit (from about 65% to 60%), bumping up my VPD from around ~1.0 to about 1.3. The line is jumpy because of the controllers ticking on & off. The plants are a bit bigger, so they can probably tolerate it.

I've been a bit busy, so I'm trying to catch everyone up. More updates to come!

AuntieKush

AuntieKush

Make sure that there is no light at all inside the tent during dark period, even in veg but particularly in bloom. Even small lights (example: lighted on-off switches) that can't be removed must be covered with duct tape
Why would it make a difference in veg? I was planning on doing the light-proofing in preparation for flower.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Nice looking grow! I'm so sorry to hear about the powdery mildew... That can be a royal pain in the ass to get rid of. Best of luck!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I got rid of wpm with liquid copper fungicide, but the wpm did a lot of damage to the plants!

If you wish to stay with baking soda it's one level tablespoon per gallon which I'm sorry you learned the hard way lol but I'd recommend you spray every 3 days, not once a week as you mentioned

Wanted to add I had marginal results against fungus (septoria) with baking soda, never tried it against wpm? Good luck!

Top Bottom