Auto seedling light cycle? Anyone?

• Thread starter B0ssD0ss
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

IMO there is no right light cycle. The day/night should be based on the intensity of the light given. There are benefits to a dark (calvin) cycle as there are different processes at play during photosynthesis and Calvin cycle.

Its a very complex topic and many variables some of which even affect the microbiology of the soil basically if you have low light 24/0 will prob suit you best. Very high light maybe 16/8 or somewhere between.

This all has to do with photosynthetic rates, DLI and light saturation points.
Is this more or less let your plants tell you their needs?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Is this more or less let your plants tell you their needs?
Pretty much. What light are you running? With autos because they don't need to be restricted to 12/12 you don't need as intense light as photoperiod to get the same results. Because its the DLI (daily light integral) that is important. When we only have 12 hrs to give tge plant light we need to provide a much higher intensity.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

I have multiple lights to choose from. I have 2 300w viparspectra and then just purchased a viparspectra p1500 that's dimmable. I purchased the newer one because it's based on a 3x3 footprint so in the 2x2.5 tent it can stay from veg and through flower.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have multiple lights to choose from. I have 2 300w viparspectra and then just purchased a viparspectra p1500 that's dimmable. I purchased the newer one because it's based on a 3x3 footprint so in the 2x2.5 tent it can stay from veg and through flower.
Hard to measure blurples but I think anywhere from 16/8 to 20/4 will do ya well. Then just keep slowly bumping the light up watching for light stress. The shorter light period the more intense light needed

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Pretty much. What light are you running? With autos because they don't need to be restricted to 12/12 you don't need as intense light as photoperiod to get the same results. Because its the DLI (daily light integral) that is important. When we only have 12 hrs to give tge plant light we need to provide a much higher intensity.

Ill be putting them under a 1000wt blue hortilux bulb
What light cycle should i use?
Light distance?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ill be putting them under a 1000wt blue hortilux bulb
What light cycle should i use?
Light distance?
Autos? I grow under led so probably not the best person to give advice. There is also stage of growth to take into account.

I use a lux app but it doesn't work with blurples.

Clones 5k until rooted
Seedling/rooted clone 10k
Veg 18/6 15k to 45k

With autos i would just use the veg start at 15k early veg and increase to 45k over a few weeks based on plant response.

If switching to 12/12 in flower like I do then 45k to 65k again starting at 45k and working up. I also run 1200ppm of co2 so I top out about 75k before seeing light stress on 12/12 in flower with photoperiods.

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
What are you guys using for nutes by chance? Trying to educate myself in that department. I have the fox farm trio, cal mag, and kelp me kelp you and holy mackerel from fox farm as well. Any info on nutes would be much appreciated.

I currently use Root organics, and always start out at half and build up from there. But with Autos in soil, you don't want to much N built up in soil when they make their flip to flower cycle( 25-30 days, usually strain dependent). I normally used half strength during Veg, then slowly built up to full strength for flower. I have never used any from Fox farms, but always here good things, get you main N. P. K. dialed in before throwing those Veg/Bloom boosters, too many people expect miracles from those. Any proper N.P.K. ratio will produce great results.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

Autos? I grow under led so probably not the best person to give advice. There is also stage of growth to take into account.

I use a lux app but it doesn't work with blurples.

Clones 5k until rooted
Seedling/rooted clone 10k
Veg 18/6 15k to 45k

With autos i would just use the veg start at 15k early veg and increase to 45k over a few weeks based on plant response.

If switching to 12/12 in flower like I do then 45k to 65k again starting at 45k and working up. I also run 1200ppm of co2 so I top out about 75k before seeing light stress on 12/12 in flower with photoperiods.
@Aqua Man I thought what I purchased were LEDs? What's the difference between LEDs and Blurple?

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
@Aqua Man I thought what I purchased were LEDs? What's the difference between LEDs and Blurple?

Led and Burple are the same thing. "Burple" LED lights are that way due to the amount/type of LEDs used. So those tend to use a greater amount of "red, blue leds". They use those to better "mimic" the suns natural color temperatures, or light used during specific growth stages, hence their color appearance. Others use full spectrum LED, which cover a broader range and gives the "soft white" appearance.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah blurples are led but because of the spectrum they use lux is not a good way to measure intensity. If you can get your hands on a par meter then that will work. Lux or lumens picks up the green spectrum well but not far ends of red or blue such as what blurples use. Par or ppfd is far more accurate but with full spectrum white leds lux/lumens is adequate.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

Yeah blurples are led but because of the spectrum they use lux is not a good way to measure intensity. If you can get your hands on a par meter then that will work. Lux or lumens picks up the green spectrum well but not far ends of red or blue such as what blurples use. Par or ppfd is far more accurate but with full spectrum white leds lux/lumens is adequate.
So what are some examples of LEDs that arent blurples?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So what are some examples of LEDs that arent blurples?
Any that are truly full spectrum. HLG, spider farmer, gavita, some Mars etc. Basically if the diodes are white or give of a full spectrum. Not red and blue diode only fixtures as contrary to what they state they are not full spectrum nor more like sunlight. The whole reason behind them is red and blue are the most efficiently used spectrums by plants. But that does not mean the only spectrums used by plants and IMO red/blue blurples are outdated and misinformed tech.

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
Any that are truly full spectrum. HLG, spider farmer, gavita, some Mars etc. Basically if the diodes are white or give of a full spectrum. Not red and blue diode only fixtures as contrary to what they state they are not full spectrum nor more like sunlight. The whole reason behind them is red and blue are the most efficiently used spectrums by plants. But that does not mean the only spectrums used by plants and IMO red/blue blurples are outdated and misinformed tech.

I would not say they are outdated, as the LEDs are a newer tech to begin with. The way they used them originally when LED grow lights first hit consumer markets was not efficient. But the recent advances are pushing them past what HPS/MH can do. Using the red/ blue/ UV/IR can help, but using them in the proper ways and times is what will benefit the most.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would not say they are outdated, as the LEDs are a newer tech to begin with. The way they used them originally when LED grow lights first hit consumer markets was not efficient. But the recent advances are pushing them past what HPS/MH can do. Using the red/ blue/ UV/IR can help, but using them in the proper ways and times is what will benefit the most.
I'm talking about blurple lights. Yes they are outdated and as we get more info on the photo biological effects the more it shows this.

Led benefits from IR since it generally used to lack but the expose, duration, intensity and time have a large impact on the benefits. Not just the simple addition of it.

UV created by LED is not where it needs to be yet and none of the LED fixtures using them have UV diodes adequate to see any benefit from doing so. Again marketing is taking facts and blanket stating UV provides X amounts/types of benefits but are not taking into account the type of UV or intensity to do so.

M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
Wow man. Absolutely amazing brother. Should have commissioned you for a light. Lol

Thank you. That was my 2nd I ever built. I wont show the first one, cant take that embarrassment, lol😅. Waiting on my 12 panels of QB 288s and equipment for my next 2 light builds. Just do some research, basic electrical know how, and trial and error. Beats paying what these others charge, you get double the lighting for half the price.
Perhaps I'll make a thread for my next light build.

Top Bottom