Auto Vs Photo. Potency Experiment

• Thread starter DevinA95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DevinA95

DevinA95

Ok everyone, I've been considering making a thread for awhile so I figured I might as well go ahead and do it. I've been reading alot of comments from people saying that autos are less potent than photoperiods. I'm sure this is true in most cases or there wouldn't be so many people saying it. That being said, I'm going to try an experiment and do a comparison. I recently tried germinating 4 Northern Light photoperiod seeds for outdoors with only 1 germinating. I believe it was do to my heat mat being too hot for them. Deciding it was not worth the effort of putting her outdoors by herself where I live. I was stuck to make a choice either to ditch her and run another auto or just grow her out in my tent.. I stuck her in a 3 gallon grow bag and kept her in my tent to see how she goes. So I have 1 Chemdog Auto (Autoseeds) and 1 Northern Lights photoperiod fem (ilgm) growing side by side. Both in 3 gallon bags, both Ph of 6.2 with same soil. Happy frog soil and Fox farm trio nutrients. The photoperiod is about 5 weeks old has been topped and have started LST. The auto is about a week and a half old and hasn't been topped but will start LST as soon as possible. I plan to keep everyone updated. The lights are running at 20/4 right now but will flip to 13/11 when I decide to start flowering. Also hoping my tent doesn't get over grown but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
Auto vs photo potency experiment

Thanks for looking!

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Ok everyone, I've been considering making a thread for awhile so I figured I might as well go ahead and do it. I've been reading alot of comments from people saying that autos are less potent than photoperiods. I'm sure this is true in most cases or there wouldn't be so many people saying it. That being said, I'm going to try an experiment and do a comparison. I recently tried germinating 4 Northern Light photoperiod seeds for outdoors with only 1 germinating. I believe it was do to my heat mat being too hot for them. Deciding it was not worth the effort of putting her outdoors by herself where I live. I was stuck to make a choice either to ditch her and run another auto or just grow her out in my tent.. I stuck her in a 3 gallon grow bag and kept her in my tent to see how she goes. So I have 1 Chemdog Auto (Autoseeds) and 1 Northern Lights photoperiod fem (ilgm) growing side by side. Both in 3 gallon bags, both Ph of 6.2 with same soil. Happy frog soil and Fox farm trio nutrients. The photoperiod is about 5 weeks old has been topped and have started LST. The auto is about a week and a half old and hasn't been topped but will start LST as soon as possible. I plan to keep everyone updated. The lights are running at 20/4 right now but will flip to 13/11 when I decide to start flowering. Also hoping my tent doesn't get over grown but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. View attachment 1257086
Thanks for looking!
You are comparing 2 different versions of the
same strain so it can't be an accurate test.

DevinA95

DevinA95

You are comparing 2 different versions of the
same strain so it can't be an accurate test.
I know it's not going to be accurate comparing 2 different strains from 2 different breeders but this will be my 3rd auto grow now so if the photo is better than all of the autos then I'm going to stop growing autos for the most part.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I know it's not going to be accurate comparing 2 different strains from 2 different breeders but this will be my 3rd auto grow now so if the photo is better than all of the autos then I'm going to stop growing autos for the most part.
All autos are crossed with a ruderalis,ruderalis has no high so expecting the same potency or growth of say an IBL photo is wishful thinking.

DevinA95

DevinA95

I never said I was expecting the the same high. I'm basically just going with what's been given to me because I didn't want to toss the photo. I'm actually expecting the photo to blow the auto out of the water considering that the last 2 autos I have grown weren't as potent as I'd like.

Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

All I can say is autos are not what they used to be years ago, I grow autos that will set you back on your couch for hours, today there is breeders that have autos just as good as photo, I'm growing a alien vs triangle from Mephisto right now that tested out as 27 percent when they tested it. It's one of there strongest ones they sell. Thing is a lot of people can't grow autos and end up with a little plant with a ounce of bud. I have got a half pound off a few autos from fastbuds, there gelato is killer.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

All I can say is autos are not what they used to be years ago, I grow autos that will set you back on your couch for hours, today there is breeders that have autos just as good as photo, I'm growing a alien vs triangle from Mephisto right now that tested out as 27 percent when they tested it. It's one of there strongest ones they sell. Thing is a lot of people can't grow autos and end up with a little plant with a ounce of bud. I have got a half pound off a few autos from fastbuds, there gelato is killer.
Be that as it may how do you reproduce it ? The parents are long dead

DevinA95

DevinA95

I
Currently have mephisto seeds of hubba bubbaƗ livers bx1 auto and strawbba the hutt auto. I will likely grow them after this grow is over. I don't want those seeds to go to waste. I've seen where people say they have autos just as good as photos so maybe these next ones will be it.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
All autos are crossed with a ruderalis,ruderalis has no high so expecting the same potency or growth of say an IBL photo is wishful thinking.
I've been smoking pot for 55+ years so I know a thing or 2 about getting high. I wasn't an auto fan at all with the tiny little plants giving me barely a weeks smoke off each of them. Then I got a Reg GSC auto that was some of the best smoke I've ever grown. Nice taste, rock hard buds with a very nice high. It would be in my top 10 list for sure. It was a small plant too being auto but I could live on a desert Island with that 1 only if I had enough seed to keep me going. Just saying some autos kick ass.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I've been smoking pot for 55+ years so I know a thing or 2 about getting high. I wasn't an auto fan at all with the tiny little plants giving me barely a weeks smoke off each of them. Then I got a Reg GSC auto that was some of the best smoke I've ever grown. Nice taste, rock hard buds with a very nice high. It would be in my top 10 list for sure. It was a small plant too being auto but I could live on a desert Island with that 1 only if I had enough seed to keep me going. Just saying some autos kick ass.
I didn't say some weren't good, they may very well be but you will be buying seeds again after harvest

Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

Here's three plants from fast buds that are hanging and curing, two rows that ended up being 22+ o/z of trimmed buds when done. And my colas I cut all buds off them and just save the last 3 inches so my weight doesn't have stems in it for my final weight.

Screenshot 20220627 113849
Screenshot 20220627 113914
DevinA95

DevinA95

Here's three plants from fast buds that are hanging and curing, two rows that ended up being 22+ o/z of trimmed buds when done. And my colas I cut all buds off them and just save the last 3 inches so my weight doesn't have stems in it for my final weight.
I would average between 2.5-3 oz on my autos but that was on a different set up so I have yet to see how this set up does. I will likely keep growing autos as well but definitely going to start shopping for photos as well because my plan in the beginning was to only do autos inside. I'm going to Order GMO Cookies photo fem seeds next.
Those look like some fat buds you got there.

Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

Yes even though they are autos, it still takes just as long for the buds to mature just like a photo, to me it's cheaper to grow photo then autos. Because you run 12/12 for flowering. A auto you can run 24 hours but I go 18/6 and they advertise them being done in 60 some days, you can harvest then but the bud is a long ways from being done. Take 8 weeks once they start to flower and sometimes longer. My next grow will be a photo that I made myself and think it will be the best in my state and won't let my strain get out to anyone.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Better? That's pretty subjective. How do you plan to measure this? Smoke test?

I think you might be getting caught up in a pheno hunt (which is totally fun and worth doing) but I'm not sure this test will be the clear result you are hoping for. You might repeat this test again and end up with 2 different phenos and your top pick could change just that easily.

Either way testing and experimenting are the best way to figure this out for yourself, good luck!

Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

I crossed Jedi glue and death star and only got 5 feminized seeds, I know each seed could be different in looks, but I will take clones from plant in case it's the bomb, if not I got 4 more to try but I already smoke both and both are killer stains so can't go wrong on this cross, it's going to be a good photo, I will have a journal on this plant when I started I know the leaves are going to be big and fat like the indica. And the buds are going to be big and dense just like the parents.

Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

Well I took my female Jedi glue plant and took silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate and sprayed only one branch so I could collect the pollen from the female sacks, then grew my death star feminized plant and pollinated her. That's how I got feminized seeds.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Yes even though they are autos, it still takes just as long for the buds to mature just like a photo, to me it's cheaper to grow photo then autos. Because you run 12/12 for flowering. A auto you can run 24 hours but I go 18/6 and they advertise them being done in 60 some days, you can harvest then but the bud is a long ways from being done. Take 8 weeks once they start to flower and sometimes longer. My next grow will be a photo that I made myself and think it will be the best in my state and won't let my strain get out to anyone.
Lets say a particular auto is better than a photo,even way better, when the seed batch runs out the strain is over,you can't sample them to breed until harvest so you can't select and lets face it,the potency comes from the photo used anyway.

Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

Really if you got a favorite photo, just keep it for a mother plant and cut 6 clones and root them and go straight to 12/12 save electricity Plus still have 6 nice size plants at harvest, be about like growing a auto except saving money on your light bill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom