az2000 ???

• Thread starter basscaptain
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
basscaptain

basscaptain

I have a few ?? for you sir..
If you just moved and was looking to start growing in new area, and you wanted to set up to be able to grow both indoors and Out, how would you set up to go?? lets say you have max 500.00 to spend on lights. but would like to spend less if possible.. Mid/upper/ TN.. from what i seen moving last yr no real snow but it gets cold. So I would like to set up to grow some indoors and then Outdoors... I smoke a lot so I need to Grow all yr. :) Idea's??? give it to me

basscaptain

basscaptain

the Idea was to just grow outside here, but now after reading and seeing everything, I'm thinking I should have a small room for seeds and clones, need a room for a few plants so that I don't have to wait for a yr for smoke... coming from ca victorville, this wasn't a problem before.... Now it is...... I don't want to have to go back to ca just to get smoke...... better off spending some $$ and setting up something right for long run......

I can make 2 rooms or whatever is needed been building homes my whole life... right now I have some autos in the ground just put them in we will see how they go , 1st time for autos and new area, it's a test run...
All the rest of the seeds I have are reg/photo, with that said , right now I have 5 Critical in water poping right now and 10 more Critical, 20 THC Bomb ,5 Afghan, 10 Buddha, 10 Amnesia Haze, 10 Jack Herer.. this is for me ..... I had 3lbs from feb, half is gone, yes I smoke a lot

basscaptain

basscaptain

ps I'm coming to you with a open mind, don't care what I use..... just want it done right

az2000

az2000

I had 3lbs from feb, half is gone, yes I smoke a lot

It sounds like a 4x4 7' tall tent would work. I grow 4 large plants in 3-gal containers. Depending on the strain, you should be able to get a pound every grow. If you grow outdoors in the summer, that amount from the tent should meet your needs.

I like CMH. But, a 315 LEC is sized for a 3x3 space. You'd have to supplement a 6" margin all the way around. That's not hard. You can use 1-2 tube 4-foot T5HO. Those fixtures fit between the tent legs nicely. You'd have to rig it up a little, like the mounts you saw in the AK-47 thread you replied to. (<<link). I like to use household LED lightbulbs. I have tent-leg mounts and "fixtues." You could just mount 6 sockets in a 4' length of 1x4 board (make four, use 9w LED lightbulbs with the diffusion globe cut off. That would be 216w. Plenty for sidelighting arund that 6" margin. You'd only turn those lights on when plants grow into that space. ). Hang those from the top as a fixture (around the sides), or mount it to the tent legs.

I have documented how I work with LED lightbulbs (<<link).

If you can't afford a CMH, you can make "fixtures" for lightbulbs. That's cheap. I show how to make two types. But,a fixture can be just wood with sockets installed. But, I think you'd like CMH better (easier to use, emits UV which these bulbs don't).

LED grow-light fixtures may be a better choice. But, I got out of that a few years ago because there's so much flim-flam in the LED grow-light market. I like standardized, componetized, commoditized t5ho & CMH. (Growing with the lightbulbs is fun too.).

This is the soil I use. (<<link) And the nutrients. (<<link) That stuff works very well for me. It's all dialed in. You don't need cannabis-themed multi-bottle "lineups." Those are just franchised feeding programs that abstract what you're feeding. You can create the same NPK ratios and strengths using virtually anything (for much less expense). I use Grow More - Sea Grow as my base nutrient, and vary the ratios with other things (as shown in that linked document). Many people use Jack's Classic All Purpose from veg through harvest. I've used my Sea Grow that way too. (I've grown a plant veg to harvest using MiracleGro Tomato. That's easily available at the hardware store. But, I think Jacks or Sea Grow would be better (I'm not a swinging fan of Scotts. But, now that they own Botanicare, General Hydropnics, Sun Systems.... It's increasingly hard to avoid Big Agro now.).

I really like my soil. But, I'd like to replace the Pro-Mix HP with something more generic, that doesn't require visiting a specialty-shop (I don't think cannabis is that special. I think it should be possible to grow using just stuff from the hardware store.). I'm growing two plants right now in Kellogg Cactus mix. (<<link) I'm wondering how my soil would work if I substituted the Pro-Mix HP with that cactus mix. They're both soilless, fast draining/drying, nutrient-free. I'm thinking about trying that next. (I saw someone using Kellogg Raised Bed. It looked a lot like the texture I tried to create with my soil. It might need 30% perlite. I need to buy a bag and look at it. That could be a simple, hardware-store soil without getting into mixing two soils the way I do. (Anyway, I'm just saying the Pro-Mix HP is the one thing that makes my soil more expensive than I'd like it to be. That's something I want to experiement with. I think the whole specialty-shop, specialty nutrients, specialty lights, etc. markets are rip-offs. I try to stay away from all that. I suppose in the scale of things, those areas aren't bad. If you're getting 200 grams from a plant, what's a few dollars for cartoon-labeled nutrients? Or, specialty medium like Pro-Mix HP? I'm averse to all that stuff, price-per-gram, it's probably nothing to worry about.

az2000

az2000

Something I thought would be fun: grow autoflowers in a 4x4 tent. Add a new seedling every 2 weeks. After 6-7 seedlings are added, you'd start harvesting one plant every time you add a seedling. That would be a good way to keep yourself supplied with a constant harvest (100-200g every two weeks. Depending on the strain. I've gotten 220g from an autoflower in a tent.).

The downside is that you have to run the lights 18/6 all the time (to get the most out of it). But, the upside is that you don't have boom/bust cycles waiting for multiple large plants to finish. You have small a harvest every two weeks. (It can be mind-numbing trimming a large harvest every 3-4 months. It might be more endurable if you do a little every two weeks.).

Another upside: You can lean a lot that way. For example, I have 3-4 ideas for trying different soils (I have a soil that works great. But, would lile to simplify it if I can.). If I grew a new plant every 2 week, I could vary the soil every 2 weeks, or try different nutrient ideas, etc. It would require a lot of organization and record keeping. It would be easy to go wrong with it, and lose track of each plant's special significance as a test. Feeding different plants different would be a lot of work. It would require focus. But.... you could get 6 years growing experience in 1 year (if you have a mind for that sort of thing, can keep it all straight).

basscaptain

basscaptain

ok I have been reading all of these posts........ I'll be going to lowes tonight to get some pro-mix, some pvc pipe and etc.. for that end. I have the LED lights covered for the side's and will make all that.. you say tent ok so i'll pass on building a room right now, but I'll fame 1 in since I'm building. I'll get on the net and find a tent and the cmh light so it's on the way tuesday... I'm going to drop these 5 Critical seeds in dirt from the yard I added cal mag and some potting soil I had from my auto's..

basscaptain

basscaptain

I'll drop the the other 10 seeds of critical I have in water tonight and will plant them in the pro mix and see how my soil does to it....

basscaptain

basscaptain

Something I thought would be fun: grow autoflowers in a 4x4 tent. Add a new seedling every 2 weeks. After 6-7 seedlings are added, you'd start harvesting one plant every time you add a seedling. That would be a good way to keep yourself supplied with a constant harvest (100-200g every two weeks. Depending on the strain. I've gotten 220g from an autoflower in a tent.).

The downside is that you have to run the lights 18/6 all the time (to get the most out of it). But, the upside is that you don't have boom/bust cycles waiting for multiple large plants to finish. You have small a harvest every two weeks. (It can be mind-numbing trimming a large harvest every 3-4 months. It might be more endurable if you do a little every two weeks.).

Another upside: You can lean a lot that way. For example, I have 3-4 ideas for trying different soils (I have a soil that works great. But, would lile to simplify it if I can.). If I grew a new plant every 2 week, I could vary the soil every 2 weeks, or try different nutrient ideas, etc. It would require a lot of organization and record keeping. It would be easy to go wrong with it, and lose track of each plant's special significance as a test. Feeding different plants different would be a lot of work. It would require focus. But.... you could get 6 years growing experience in 1 year (if you have a mind for that sort of thing, can keep it all straight).
Now your READING MY MIND.......

az2000

az2000

I'll be going to lowes tonight to get some pro-mix,

Be careful, Premier Horticulture has gotten into the consumer market. I've been referring to Pro-Mix HP which is typically sold at speciality stores. It was available at my area Lowes for awhile -- until the specialty stores found out and demanded the distributor stop that. I wouldn't expect you to find HP at Lowes, but it's possible. It's more probable that you'll find the newer consumer bags which have nutrients already in them, etc. (That type of Pro-Mix may work well. But, it's not what I use. It may be too hot. Or, it may be unclear when you need to start feeding. I've seen people grow in the Herb & Vegetable version of it.).

If you buy a LEC 315, I'd recommend getting the Sun Systems reflector without the ballast integrated into it. I.e., get a remote-mount balast in case you want to grow in the summer, and reduce the heat in the tent. (In the winter, you can put the ballast in the tent to help warm the tent if necessary.). I like the 4100 bulb for veg, and 3200 for flower. Some say the 3200 is better for both.

If you're on a budget, there is a Vivosun CMH. This person bought one: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/looking-to-buy-new-light.105148/#post-2272442

I think BigCube has said he has 4 of those. I think Sun Systems & Philips set the standard for CMH. Plus, I think the remote ballast is a useful feature. (But, if you grow outdors in the summer, maybe the remote ballast wouln't matter.).

az2000

az2000

not going to find pro-mix hp at my lowe's not on web site.... I'll look for something good when I'm there

You should be able to find it at a local hydro store, or garden/nusery center. The upside to buying that is that you can follow my soil/nutrient exactly an it should be dialed in exactly.

If you want to do something differently, Kellogg "Raised Bed" might be good, but add 30% perlite.

basscaptain

basscaptain

ok I'll keep looking on the lights too... I can tell you don't like that tent deal.... I'll keep looking

basscaptain

basscaptain

this is the light your talking about??? also It will NOT hurt my feeling if you just say >> Look dumb azz/ azz hole/ whatever you like :) this is what you need with a link....

Last edited:
az2000

az2000

this is the light your talking about???

I have the RA reflector. It has the vertical tube. What you linked to is the "neutrino" hood(?). Horizontal bulv. I'm not familiar with it, or why one would be better than the other. I think the horizontal tube is for saving space, reduces the height of the fixture a little. Maybe that's better for growing taller plants. The footprint's probably different. more of a rectangle (you might have to fill in around a 4x4 perimeter with more light on two sides). The RA is a square footprint.

You might want to consider LEDs. I'm not trying to steer you away from them. I just find it a wearying topic because it's not as standardized as the traditional lights (known bulbs, backed by spectographs). There could be LED fixtures that work better. I just lost confidence in that stuff. It seemed like a disposable item, always looking for something better, replacing the entire fixture, etc. For me, T5HO (short spaces) and CMH (tall) is plenty good enough. Replace the bulbs as needed. But, you might want to explore the LED path. I'm not trying to "convert" you to my way.

If you were going to do your own thing in some way, the lighting would be the best place to do it. If you want to hit the ground running with something that has worked well (problem-free) for me, I'd not experiment with other soils and/or nutrients. Follow my mix and "schedule" (even if it's just using the Sea Grow by itself. You don't have to add the other things if you don't want to buy a lot of bottles.).

I'm just saying, if you lockstep to my light preference -- and vary the soil and/or nutrients, I think you'd be at greater risk of a surprise (than if you lockstep to my soil and nutrients, and try something different with the lights.).

basscaptain

basscaptain

ok here's a ?? if you cant get a tent that 4x4x70 from the same place as the lights>> sold out, for now would you buy a 48x24x60 or 60x60x80 or go somewhere else for a 4x4x70 tent.... I asked you for a set up that's what I'm doing.......

basscaptain

basscaptain

Does this look right now..
20190831 170748
20190831 170816

basscaptain

basscaptain

I'm old school and I want something that is going to work.... once it's in and running I DON'T want to have to fix/change things out... Next yr I'll put together a play around room, But TN isn't Kool like ca....... so I'm looking for stuff that's going to last and Work... I would rather spend a little more up front and be done with it, cause I can't run down the street to get stuff here

Latest posts

Top Bottom