Azamax For Spider Mites

• Thread starter SOURCOOPER
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Domino

Domino

It's not always a 3-day cycle. That's in optimum conditions for mites; dry and hot. It can take much longer in less than ideal conditions. Why not just spray? Much easier with big plants. I've dipped some hurtin looking clones but big plants would be cumbersome. Tanlin or nilnat as it used to be called(tanlin in reverse) never did shit all for me. It's supposed to be liquid chitin(ground up insect or crab shell) and is listed for gnats but didn't seem to help eliminate gnats for me idk

I can tell you that when we spray Tanlin on our coco that it drastically reduces the amount of gnats on our sticky traps. You have to hose down ALL of the coco (including any holes in any pots). One of the little bottles is exactly the right amount for a 4 gallon sprayer.

You asked me why I didn't just spray? While I will agree that it is infinitely easier to spray than it is to dip, I thought that with the dip it was the only way to ensure that EVERY leaf got treatment top AND bottom. We are dealing with over 100 plants in all stages of Veg from fresh clone through 20 gallon pot. That's a lot of leaf matter and I wasn't sure that we were capable of getting the front and back of EVERY leaf. So, yeah, it's cumbersome. It's also 100% effective. If I had fewer plants in need I may look to other solutions, but right now this one is the one that I have the most faith in.

Further update - unable to find any living mites today. The juveniles that we saw yesterday we cannot find today. We still have a few eggs, and tomorrow we are doing one last Azamax dip. From there we'll spray a final time with SM90. I'm doing this based on the adage of "treat them until they're dead and then one final time".

I really, really hope that this will do the trick. I've pulled out every trick that I know of and added a few that I just made up on the spot.

-Dom

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I was given a bottle of tanlin to try out today against my lovely fn guests. I'll see how it holds up against the tried and prooven promis I currently use in my garden.

Dewd

Dewd

I would also spray all the walls, floors and ceilings. I'm sure they are crawling everywhere.

Domino

Domino

Currently all we are seeing on the plants are old eggs. We did our last Azamax dip yesterday. Friday we spray SM90 and then we inspect, inspect, inspect and wait. We were fortunate in that we caught this early before they had infested flower rooms or even the whole veg room.

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

Here's what works for me. I spray azamax, 2 days later I hit them with neemoil, 2 days later i them hit them with azamax, 2 days later i hit them with neemoil. This process goes on for 2-3 weeks straight with no breaks in between. That should take care of them in veg. In flower I wouldn't recommend spraying that. I would look into using predator mite to control em and reapply 3 weeks later . You won't kill them all but you will get an ok season. This is only for spider mites tho. Remember to wash down plants with ice cold water the days in between spraying azamax and neem.

So azamax day1, cold water day2, neemoil day3, cold water day4, azamax day 5, cold water day6, neemoil day 7...... repeat 2 weeks minimum I go 3 just to be sure. This way you break there reproductive cycle. New eggs hatch every day. So hitting with all this will stunt there growth, then kill adults stunt, kill, stunt, kill, stunt,kill... you get the idea. This gives them no chamce of reproducing. Important not to be lazy and spray non stop. Good luck. It's not that hard to control or wipe em out. You just gotta be more aggressive then they are.

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

This is only for spider mites.... I'm battling russet mites fawk... They are weed growers nightmare. Alot harder to kill. The can't be seen with the naked eye. You need a 60x mag or higher to spot them. And easy to mistake them for heat burn or chem deffiencancy.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Here's what works for me. I spray azamax, 2 days later I hit them with neemoil, 2 days later i them hit them with azamax, 2 days later i hit them with neemoil. This process goes on for 2-3 weeks straight with no breaks in between. That should take care of them in veg. In flower I wouldn't recommend spraying that. I would look into using predator mite to control em and reapply 3 weeks later . You won't kill them all but you will get an ok season. This is only for spider mites tho. Remember to wash down plants with ice cold water the days in between spraying azamax and neem.

So azamax day1, cold water day2, neemoil day3, cold water day4, azamax day 5, cold water day6, neemoil day 7...... repeat 2 weeks minimum I go 3 just to be sure. This way you break there reproductive cycle. New eggs hatch every day. So hitting with all this will stunt there growth, then kill adults stunt, kill, stunt, kill, stunt,kill... you get the idea. This gives them no chamce of reproducing. Important not to be lazy and spray non stop. Good luck. It's not that hard to control or wipe em out. You just gotta be more aggressive then they are.
You realize that Azamax is just a Neem oil concentrate? You would be just as well off, or better off, to just use azamax. Azamax doesn't leave a heavy taste on your bud.

I use Azamax at three day intervals when I need it. I also apply a soil wash to get the azamax systemic. Three day intervals for two weeks did it for me earlier this year

Working spinosad into the rotation won't hurt, either. Spinosad is another safe yet effective treatment. It also can be used as a soil wash for systemic use.

Dewd

Dewd

This is only for spider mites.... I'm battling russet mites fawk... They are weed growers nightmare. Alot harder to kill. The can't be seen with the naked eye. You need a 60x mag or higher to spot them. And easy to mistake them for heat burn or chem deffiencancy.
Damn russet mites. I'm tossing most of my plants today. :(

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

Never knew that. Yeah well this works for me pretty got tho. Like I said tho this what I use in VEG. I wouldn't SPRAY that in flower. Maybe in week1 that's it. Just go with predator mites to keep them at bay to finish the season. Apply them twice. N should be ok. Not that the other sprays dont work but u don't wanna spray n use predators. It will kill your predators.

I find that you can go crazy
With sprayz in veg n they can always bounce back. In flower tho you can burn the hairs. Like every1 says best treatment is preventative measure. If you can't save this run. Start treating you're veg. It will save you a battle in flower.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Not that the other sprays dont work but u don't wanna spray n use predators. It will kill your predators.
Actually, both azamax and spinosad are safe for predators. They work on the metabolism of sucking insects only, and as such, don't affect ladybugs or predatory mites (or pets, or people). Bt is also predator safe.

Last edited:
Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

I just got some russet mites. I will be releasing swirski in next week wensday when they get here. Are those safe for the swirski? Do you know of any solid way to wipe them out? The russet? My first time running into these guys. From all my research they seem to be the worse thing you can run Into.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I just got some russet mites. I will be releasing swirski in next week wensday when they get here. Are those safe for the swirski? Do you know of any solid way to wipe them out? The russet? My first time running into these guys. From all my research they seem to be the worse thing you can run Into.
They do suck badly. My sympathies. I have no advice.

Whitesnake

Whitesnake

Hi I was wondering if anyone has used azamax to get rid of spider mites. My plant is just starting to get white hairs on it. Or what else can I use?
Thank you.
Hey I didn't read through most of this thread but when I encountered a moderate spider mite infestation I tried several countermeasures (organic horticulture oils, pyrethrin TR, neem oil, hot pepper, all foliar sprays) and all they did was barely control the mite population even with 3-5 day spraying intervals. Then I bought azamax and applied it as a soil drench at 1tbs/gal and the mites were gone within a few days. I also used this on some broad mite infested plants i picked up from a friend and within a few days of application they were all gone. I would recommend this product as an excellent preventative in veg/early flower and as a reasonable option later into flower. Azadirachtin isn't very harmful (if at all) to humans when combusted although it may add a smell to your final product. Long story short I'm at week 3 in flower, I fed some azamax a week before flip, and if I see any mites before week 6 I'll hit them with an azamax soil drench. Good luck and happy harvests

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

First we sat and used a wet paper towel and wiped each and every underside of the leaves, wiping and basically crushing any mites, you can see them on paper towel,

Got a backache, just reading this. But I sure as shit wouldn't then go and spray azamax on my weed. Awesome dedication for sure, and if diligent enough, a good start to introduce predator mites.

If you spray shit on your weed, you owe disclosure of that fact to any and all consumers of that produce. Just because you can't 'taste' it doesn't mean 'you didn't have to go -there- to save it'.

There are two ways a crop can go - assuming you get to the end. Flowers or concentrates. I'd rather mitigate without pesticides and go to concentrates. I think reliance on crap like azamax is a failure and potentially a hazard to patients, if that has any meaning to the producer.

This sense that Neem is a 'natural' treatment usable until close to harvest is a problem. There is some at least anecdotal evidence linking use of Azadirachtin products and cannabis hyperemesis.

You really need to catch these buggers before flower. Anytime after is just a shit show in indoor culture - which is why the pros go harsh rather than limp to a finish. Usual indoor cycles almost always encourage hardy egg-infestation cycles. Sooner or later cannabis farmers will learn what chicken farmers learned. YOU are the vector. YOU are the bringer of contamination, for these types of issues. Mites don't have the mobility of fungus gnats ( simply covering the medium can slow or prevent those ) so must hitch a ride. On you or something you brought with you.

I'm sure there are some others here, old school that would just burn it - to be sure. I know @DrMcSkunkins has the peracetic acid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peracetic_acid method to clear up egg issues.

Last edited:
Domino

Domino

We approach the problems knowing that we are the vector. I built my grow with that in mind (separate rooms, utilite walls, sealed doors, etc). This is how we were able to achieve containment and keep these guys out of flower (so far). We are done with treatments now (larger plants in veg look rough), so now we wait and observe. I think we got em, but time will tell.

Domino

Domino

Got 'em!

Of course, only time will tell for sure, and some of my big veg plants really look to be in rough shape, but I'm not seeing a damn thing any-damn-where.

We wound up dipping hundreds of plants a minimum of four times each in Spinosad-Azamax (alternating) and finishing off with an SM90 spray.

We got them early (veg, not flower), so we had a lot more options available to us. Had I had them in Flower, I would be looking for control (for that batch) by introducing predatory mites instead of eradication. Because I had them in Veg then I could eradicate to prevent them from hitting flower.

If you go back through my posts in this thread, you will find everything that you need to remove spider mites from a large grow when you detect them in Veg.

AJGirlsGrow2

AJGirlsGrow2

Just some info as well about azamax.
Tough Pests. Easy Solution. Botanical Insecticide, Miticide and Nematicide.
AzaMax is an all-natural, OMRI certified broad spectrum pest control product that can be applied systemically or as a foliar spray.

AzaMax is made from special Azadirachtin Technical extracted from the neem seed using patented extraction technology. The neem tree is known for its innumerable benefits. AzaMax contains Azadirachtin A&B as active ingredients and more than 100 limonoids. AzaMax does not use harsh chemical solvents and instead uses food grade ingredients. AzaMax is OMRI listed and licensed in all 50 states. (Not yet available in Canada.) Create your own pest free zone with AzaMax

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

I didn't say that stuff wouldn't kill the mites. I'm sure it did - I'd use it on ornamentals, but never on something I cannot wash before consuming. Other sorts of usage, where you aren't burning and inhaling the resulting smoke would be just fine. Cannabis, as a crop is fairly unique because of the consumption methods. You will not find any endorsements on those labels specifying crops that are meant to be SMOKED. It's what the labels DONT say - after all they wouldn't want to miss a sale now, would they?

The point of growing my own is to avoid additives and unknowns that are clearly all the rage in other gardens.

123grow

We have Russet mites, I was under the impression that Azamax was for Russet mites? Or is it for both Spider mites and Russet mites? We used it last year for Russet mites and it worked and evrty thing turned out fine. Also we had to switch it up and use something else so they wouldnt get immune to the same thing. Problem this time is i cant remember what we used to switch off with. *I read something about using sm90 mixed in with it?? Might try the Spinosad to switch off with? Idk.. But this bug problem sucks!!! Very stressful. Thanks, Julie

Latest posts

Top Bottom