Baby Ladies

• Thread starter FarmeR.Jay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FarmeR.Jay

FarmeR.Jay

Anyone know what’s going on with these two?
I’m assuming it’s a p.h. Issue

Baby ladies
Baby ladies 2
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Too wet, and looks like too much nitrogen. Are you feeding these? I would sprout with just water and a little tiny bit of compost tea or extremely weak nutrient solution, <200ppm.

FarmeR.Jay

FarmeR.Jay

Too wet, and looks like too much nitrogen. Are you feeding these? I would sprout with just water and a little tiny bit of compost tea or extremely weak nutrient solution, <200ppm.
How would I dry them out with out drying out the root system ?!

Nugg

Nugg

You are going to need bigger net pot...,there are different ways to run...but you need to run your water lower then normal at first..4-5" below net pot...wi wi bigger net pot put couple inches of hydration on bottom then place in rockwool then fill up with more hydration pebbles....you must spray with water until till you have roots...wet rockwool will dround her.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
How would I dry them out with out drying out the root system ?!

You want that root system to dry out a bit. Otherwise that seedling is probably going to get pythium wilt or root rot. I'd put it on a folded stack of paper towels and try to wick as much moisture out as possible if it were mine.. Seedlings only need a really tiny amount of water to grow.

Honestly for this reason I prefer starting seedlings in dry peat and spoonfeeding the water a Tbsp or two at a time, usually every couple days, and letting it dry thoroughly between waterings. You want the roots to go looking for water, not gasping for air. This can be done for hydroponics also, one of the best LPs in Canada clones and sprouts in peat based soiless and then grows them hydroponically. You just start in much smaller starters.

Like this; Lots of air means less chance of fungal issues. And they get all the water they need from the tiny bit you provide.
20190127 131010

By the time they sprout their second - third set of true leaves and are drying up daily, they look like this, and that's when I start to water the whole thing.

20190213 223204

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Also what are you feeding it? What is the ec/ppm and ph of the solution in that block?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Also I took a better look at the pic, I see what you're doing. You're hoping the root grows down Into the nutrient solution below by keeping the rooting cube in contact with the solution constantly arent you.

Let the seedling fill that small block on a drain table/tray first, THEN move it over to the bucket or whatever you have set up there.
Or do as Nugg suggested and put it in hydroton and hand water until its roots grow out and hit the solution.

Last edited:
FarmeR.Jay

FarmeR.Jay

902494C4 DECC 4113 9F00 7D76B7FCAE3B
Quick update on the ladies. They have gotten bigger but I feel like the growth rate should be a lot faster. Maybe I was drenching them with too much water

Top Bottom