Backcrossing ? Why ?

• Thread starter hawkman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skipper23

Skipper23

So I'm still missing something..

If I use colloidal silver, I get feminized seeds and can't use that to bx because there's no males. And would those feminized seeds have new vigor or just be all girls?

If I want to truly reinvigorate a clone-only strain like original trainwreck, I would introduce male pollen from as close an original relative as possible, and then bx as many freaking times as it takes, probably upwards of 6x, until I get an as close to original train as possible and weed out any variations the male polllen caused..?

malamus

malamus

So I'm still missing something..

If I use colloidal silver, I get feminized seeds and can't use that to bx because there's no males. And would those feminized seeds have new vigor or just be all girls?

If I want to truly reinvigorate a clone-only strain like original trainwreck, I would introduce male pollen from as close an original relative as possible, and then bx as many freaking times as it takes, probably upwards of 6x, until I get an as close to original train as possible and weed out any variations the male polllen caused..?
yes, depending on your goals. my time was easier since I was using a male but it should be the same for a female just takes more guesswork. if you're looking for revitalizing a strain and adding vigor IMO it's a little different than simply preservation.

for example, with my GDP male I knew it had so so pest resistance and very tiny and dense buds. I could've and did F1 it with close afgani and bubba kush types but the hybrids were mostly still tiny and sensitive.

for the base of my bx I used a more distant line via a romulan s1 that was fairly stable and had some complimentary traits. it was much bushier and more pest resistant with a higher THC content. the hybrids were some of the best plants I've smoked, heavily perfumed with the GDP terpenes and some borrowed from romulan, super powerful and much better yield.

from these I chose the most GDP like, a very short, very dense bat of top shelf bud and hit it with the same male. you can find the rest of the breeding in a thread on here but the long story short is with the back crossing I got the plants looking more like the original plant, but at the same time was able to keep good traits (bushiness, yield, strength) mostly intact from the original F1.

of course this was with my plant and yours might breed completely differently. the first thing that I did is probably the only step I would recommend to everyone, F1 as wide as possible and hit your female with as many awesome males as you can get. I used my male to initially hit 6 females and have by now made ~15 direct F1s. growing these out will give you understanding on how your genetics work for breeding and simultaneously let's you search for partners that compliment abd increase vigor without removing the traits you like.

Skipper23

Skipper23

Awesome, thank you.
So to rejuvenate Trainwreck, I'll seek out some seeds of it's closest original parentage which would be a Mexican or Thai sativas or a Afghani indica, pop them, capture a male, and then start using that pollen to start a BX process on the Trainwreck female, all the while selecting traits that compliment the original Trainwrecks profile.

Top Bottom