Backyard Extractor Questions. (Butane)

• Thread starter Watashi420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Watashi420

I'm in the process of building a Butane recovery extractor and would like to get input on the design.
Butane revovery unit

My questions are, is a volume/pressure loop the best way to feed 3 tubes from the tank?
Will a standard SS cooking pot be enough to withstand the pressures?
Are there any glaring design flaws?
Can I use any type of fuel line or do I have to use the red/yellow/blue style hoses that are used for A/C service?
What pressures should I be expecting? I did a rough calculation for butane @ 115 deg. I should be about 85psi Am I right?
My SS tubes are .065, Is that thick enough?

I was able to find all the SS as scrap so it was only $39, I bought a cheap RRU on craigslist and everything else if coming from either grainger (fittings, hoses,valves) or Glacier Tanks (Ferrules, clamps).

Also, I do not take credit for the reserch behind this type of extractor, I'm sure skunkfarms or graywolf deserve all the credit.

And in my drawing I refer to them as TwinClamps, I meant TriClamps

Last edited:
Graywolf

Graywolf

A push pull is the best way I've found to flood the columns, but I prefer to do so from the bottom and vent out the top, for a more assured wetting and soaking action.

I've seen up to 80 psi with double screw ups, do don't recommend cooking pots.

I recommend sticking with refrigeration hoses with an inner veneer liner like nylon or Kevlar, PTFE with braided stainless sheath, or a convoluted stainless hose.

.065 is thick enough for the tube walls.

W

Watashi420

Thank you very much! What suggestions do you have for a catch tank? Do I need to find a 8" diameter SS tube and weld cap one end? that sounds pricey. I looked on Glacier tanks and I don't see what I see on these forums as far as triclamp lids on a 6-10 pot.

W

Watashi420

Another question I have is what are appropriate materials for fittings? do they have to be SS or can they be brass? Is a chrome finish OK?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Thank you very much! What suggestions do you have for a catch tank? Do I need to find a 8" diameter SS tube and weld cap one end? that sounds pricey. I looked on Glacier tanks and I don't see what I see on these forums as far as triclamp lids on a 6-10 pot.

Glacier supply lids and spools, though they are often out of stock at any given time.

I've stuck with stainless in the path of the medication, but use brass fittings in the butane system.

W

Watashi420

I've decided to switch things up a bit following your suggestions of feeding from bottom, or a push pull as you call it. I'm changing from 3 1.5" tubes to 1 4" tube, fed from the bottom and 'overflowed' to the catch tank. Looking around for an easy material to use to divert the butane from the material tube to the catch tank, I came across this gas piping I have ample supply of this pipe as a plumber and ease of access to any fittings I would need.

As I write I realize as a household gas pipe that the pressures may be too high, but upon looking it is tested to 150 psi(max burst 1500psi), although recommended 5 psi(but again recommended for house pressures). Full engineering spec sheet here: http://www.gastite.com/downloads/pdfs/ES-CSST_20130812.pdf

Thank you again Graywolf for all your helpful advice, maybe by the time I'm done with this I'll actually have a safe, working extractor. Cheers to you!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Thanks for the good thoughts and good luck with your extractor!

Latest posts

Top Bottom