Baffled boomer here first timer.

• Thread starter BoboGrower0813
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I discovered that if you don't add them, (MBE's) they slowly fade away. The constant movement in the soil by tiny insects and worms and such helps keep them alive outdoors. That does not exist indoors.

Dye

Dye

Here in New York they are still trying to figure out all the details of the rules and regulations, but for now it’s three mature and three immature plants allowed per person in a household. Adults over 21 that is. No details of indoor versus outdoor, etc.

But our neighbors are cool, and pretty much know the scoop. They are good peeps and we have a very good relationship, as I give away a lot of vegetables from my garden in the neighborhood. So they will love me. Lol.

haven’t dealt with the smell as yet, but with only two plants, and no ventilation other than to manual roof vents, I am hoping to keep the aroma down to a minimum.

In fact, could you shed some light on something I can’t figure out. The plant I believe is an Indica has buds that our not very prolific in white pistols, have very hardly any trichs yet, and still smell vegetative, while the alleged sativa is full of white hairs, is frosty and smelly.

is that normal?
Does make any sense to you ?
There is more information and pictures in my diary.
Just to let you know, it is not legal actually to grow pot at your house yet in new york! That’s 2 to 3 years away!

Reactions: TSD
Dye

Dye

The grow lights mounted under the countertops or four other veggies I am growing, and were not intended to have any affect on the MJ. Putting up any barrier between them would make it difficult for me to get in underneath attend them.

I lined the interior of the greenhouse where the MJ is with half inch foil faced insulation. Prevents praying eyes from looking in at a greenhouse lit up like a Christmas tree, and deflects whatever right is being projected from the grow bulbs towards the plants. The half that I left open gets the most sun, and faces our yard and house, so no prying eyes.

The lights I have mounted on the side are 4’ Monios LT8 LED full spectrum 42 W bulbs. Pretty reasonable at $89/6 bulbs, self contained, No baluster, etc. needed, Daisy chain-able, all wiring, switches, and hardware necessary to hang included. Very easy. I figured the more light the better. And at 252W total, not that expensive to run, even at New York electric prices.
The eight overhead lights are 4 foot Phillips 32W F32T8/TL965 deluxe daylight and F32T8/TL930 deluxe soft white fluorescents.

The soil in the pot on the left which I believe is an Indica, is 2/3 Vermont compost Fort Vee organic potting soil, and 1/3 my own compost, plus a cup of worm castings. The pot the other plant on the right, which I believe is a sativa, had previously grown peas, followed by lima beans this past summer. Nothing fancy. And that’s the one with hairy, frosty, and smelly buds. !!! ???

Our water on Long Island is among the best anywhere. Comes from deep aquifers of 10,000 year old sand filtered glacial melt. And I put all the water the MJ gets through a Britta water filter first.

I’m trying.
Long Island water is now shit it’s polluted, why are you paying more for them to clean it! If it so clean!
look at your bill! You are living in the past when it was great water, this water will kill your plants be careful.

Dye

Dye

Long Island water is now shit it’s polluted, why are you paying more for them to clean it! If it so clean!
look at your bill! You are living in the past when it was great water, this water will kill your plants be careful.
Oh you do filter cool! sorry to sound harsh, been there done that!
for me was not cost effect to many variables. I like to control my grow totally now.
but sun grown pot is better but not if it’s too hard and too much work.
I love indoors and love growing outdoors, but I do not rely on outdoors For my stash.
two plants in 5 gallon buckets outside will grow into massive bushes.
I love the natural sun herb! but one must make moves to sustain life!
I would start a indoor grow too! Keep your neighbors guessing.

TSD

TSD

Just to let you know, it is not legal actually to grow pot at your house yet in new york! That’s 2 to 3 years away!
Yes this is true, I'm also in NY. It won't be technically legal to grow until 18 months after the first legal dispensary opens... but I figure, they probably aren't gonna fuck with someone over a couple plants when they just expunged all the Marijuana charges from everyone in the state, and it will be legal soon enough... guess it depends on the cop and if they want extra paperwork and to be a dick lol.

Dye

Dye

Yes this is true, I'm also in NY. It won't be technically legal to grow until 18 months after the first legal dispensary opens... but I figure, they probably aren't gonna fuck with someone over a couple plants when they just expunged all the Marijuana charges from everyone in the state, and it will be legal soon enough... guess it depends on the cop and if they want extra paperwork and to be a dick lol.
A lot of us are so use to hiding, also people steal, not wise to advertise

P

Pike

Bobo, sorry not getting back sooner, like I said russets on Long Island in winter and you went from seed I find it hard that is the problem, but from the pics, that’s what I see.

Hemp Russet Mite, are a mofo, hearty little mothers, much smaller then a brown mite, and pretty hard to see until they get big, which still need good magnification to see um.

they will eat all the resin off the buds, no aroma, and the bud will be dense. Once established they destroy the plant. Russets will also continue to eat resin and plant material even once harvested and dried. They can survive on dry plant material.

in veg early flower they will be in the tops, munching on new growth, lot of times they look like some sort of deficiency. Once ya hit flower, your plant is outgrowing um and all looks good, as they make bud, you can see down lower in the plant the browning buds. As time goes by they move up the plant and you can see the buds browning out as they move to the tops.

the curling of the leaf edge, no aroma and no resin, are definitly signs of russets. After you have had um a few times you spot it right off.

good luck hopefully that’s not your problem, but I’d get a loop and take a good look at um.

B

BoboGrower0813

That is true, unless you have a medical marijuana card, which qualifies you and allows you to start growing as of this past September 30. All legal Smigel here.

B

BoboGrower0813

Bobo, sorry not getting back sooner, like I said russets on Long Island in winter and you went from seed I find it hard that is the problem, but from the pics, that’s what I see.

Hemp Russet Mite, are a mofo, hearty little mothers, much smaller then a brown mite, and pretty hard to see until they get big, which still need good magnification to see um.

they will eat all the resin off the buds, no aroma, and the bud will be dense. Once established they destroy the plant. Russets will also continue to eat resin and plant material even once harvested and dried. They can survive on dry plant material.

in veg early flower they will be in the tops, munching on new growth, lot of times they look like some sort of deficiency. Once ya hit flower, your plant is outgrowing um and all looks good, as they make bud, you can see down lower in the plant the browning buds. As time goes by they move up the plant and you can see the buds browning out as they move to the tops.

the curling of the leaf edge, no aroma and no resin, are definitly signs of russets. After you have had um a few times you spot it right off.

good luck hopefully that’s not your problem, but I’d get a loop and take a good look at um.
I intend to take a closer look as you suggest. Trying to find a good magnifying loop. Any suggestions?

I will also try to post some close-up photographs or videos later this afternoon/evening.

One concern is the possibility of them spreading to the other plant. Is this something I need to be worried about? And is there any way to get rid of the mites without nasty chemicals?
and/or is the damage too far gone to reverse?

I don’t know if you read my grow diary that I posted yesterday, but that may illuminate some factors that we are overlooking, to your better trained I at least.

And thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Loupes give me a headache because I wear glasses and its difficult to get it to focus properly.
So, we use one of these. $20 online. USB Microscope.

Microscope
B

BoboGrower0813

A lot of us are so use to hiding, also people steal, not wise to advertise
As I mentioned in another reply, it has been legal to grow in New York State since September 30 for those with medical marijuana cards.

as to security, I have good and decent neighbors, a completely fenced in property with security lights etc., and a lock on the greenhouse when we are off the property, which is not often, as we are senior citizens with nowhere to go because of the pandemic.

B

BoboGrower0813

Loupes give me a headache because I wear glasses and its difficult to get it to focus properly.
So, we use one of these. $20 online. USB Microscope.
That is a great suggestion. Looks much more high-powered than the magnifying glasses I was looking at. Looks like there are about a zillion of them on Amazon, all of them a bit more expensive than $20, inflation I guess, but well worth the money I’m sure.

What is the brand or make of the one you are using? Why reinvent the wheel?

B

BoboGrower0813

Oh you do filter cool! sorry to sound harsh, been there done that!
for me was not cost effect to many variables. I like to control my grow totally now.
but sun grown pot is better but not if it’s too hard and too much work.
I love indoors and love growing outdoors, but I do not rely on outdoors For my stash.
two plants in 5 gallon buckets outside will grow into massive bushes.
I love the natural sun herb! but one must make moves to sustain life!
I would start a indoor grow too! Keep your neighbors guessing.
I have a pretty big organic garden and intend to tuck a few plants in among the corn and other tall growers for camouflage this coming spring. Looking forward to trying my hand at outdoor growing, as this is what I have been doing successfully with vegetables for many years now.

One thing I am concerned about is controlling the weather, rain, humidity which is horrible here on Long Island in the summer, and all the outdoor airborne molds and mildews that are almost impossible to avoid completely.

Looks like another challenge/learning experience on the horizon.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

That is a great suggestion. Looks much more high-powered than the magnifying glasses I was looking at. Looks like there are about a zillion of them on Amazon, all of them a bit more expensive than $20, inflation I guess, but well worth the money I’m sure.

What is the brand or make of the one you are using? Why reinvent the wheel?
No specific brand. They tend to be generic and the same from vendor to vendor.

B

BoboGrower0813

I have been using this water unfiltered, direct from my hose on my garden veggies for years now, and they grow like crazy.
What would you suggest as an option?
I draw the line at indulging even these precious beauties with Evian or Poland Springs.

B

BoboGrower0813

I discovered that if you don't add them, (MBE's) they slowly fade away. The constant movement in the soil by tiny insects and worms and such helps keep them alive outdoors. That does not exist indoors.
I apologize for my ignorance, but what are MBE‘s?

I often find red wigglers, not earth worms, from my Compost still alive and doing their thing in my pots and planters, seemingly happy with their environment

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

No specific brand. They tend to be generic and the same from vendor to vendor.
That's pretty accurate. I have 2 of them. One has the usb cord to connect to my phone. The other connects wirelessly. They look and function exactly the same except one has a wire and the other doesn't. About $20 for the corded one. About $30 for the cordless one. Either would be a good investment.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I often find red wigglers, not earth worms, from my Compost still alive and doing their thing in my pots and planters, seemingly happy with their environment
MBE's are beneficial microbes. At first, I hesitated to purchase the Fish Sh!t because it's not exactly cheap. Now, I won't grow without it. I've picked up a few tips from @ComfortablyNumb here and there ... He's usually spot on with what he says or recommends. Recharge isn't cheap either. It's good stuff, but at least with that there are other brands out there that might be easier to find and/or cheaper. Michigan has been legal for a long time for med card holders to grow their own, and now with legal recreational most products are easily found in local brick and mortar grow stores.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Worms are the best.
MBE's = Microbes, Bacteria, Enzymes. These make your soil 'living' and it will feed the plants for you, all you have to do is water.
We also filter our water. A Pur or Brita filter is all you need. We use a basic counter top carbon filter. Very easy to change filters and simple to hook up.

Water filter

Latest posts

Top Bottom