The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 42
20160316 225932

20160316 225940

The shortest one stands "5.5 tall.
The tallest sits about "6.5 tall.
I'm really hoping they show sex soon.
They look like they are getting a packed root system in their intermediate pots. I'm itching to transplant asap.

I have only about "27 of vertical height to work with once transplanted to their final pots.
This is allowing "8 of distance between the canopy & the bottom of the cooltube.

So If I went by the 2x stretch after flip I would want about "12-"13 plants.
But with the one stretching in the back it may use the 3x rule. Which in that case "9 would be ideal.

I think I will aim for "10 height (a nice middle ground). I need them to show sex for transplant before flip. So hopefully that is before the "10 mark.

I have "3.5 left to go before I get hasty.

OutdoorOH

OutdoorOH

Nice man they are looking great! Hope they show sex for ya soon. Gets tuff trying to maintain height so you don't out grow your space. Sounds like you got it handled though . keep it up man looking forward to seeing what you come up with

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Nice man they are looking great! Hope they show sex for ya soon. Gets tuff trying to maintain height so you don't out grow your space. Sounds like you got it handled though . keep it up man looking forward to seeing what you come up with

Thx @OutdoorOH . It sure adds stress worrying about heights in small places. Makes me wonder how the micro grow guys do it.

On a side note I'm still dialing in nutes. I finally found a couple feeding charts from Earth juice to help guide me relative to the lineup I have acquired. Just a matter of deciding which one to use.

Advanced
Screenshot 20160317 003627

Or advanced plus
Screenshot 20160317 003719

I would need to buy the big bloomin guano for the advanced plus schedule.

I'll figure this out tomorrow after work. It is late and I have to get up early. It's off to bed for me.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 43

20160317 202152

20160317 202159

That tall skinny one's symptoms have progressed since day 41 picture update.
20160317 202211

The rest of the plants are still greening up nicely. It is just this one.
You can pick it out in every update. It is a lighter green than all the rest. I tried adding some fish & seaweed fertilizer to see if it was nitrogen deficiency. But the leaf tips pointed down afterwards. So that wasn't it.

This guy had 1 branch grow slower than the other 3. I'm hoping it catches up. The other 3 have taken off.
20160317 212108

And here is an update of the 3 leafed nodes 5 branched mainline.
20160317 212029

20160317 212042

Last edited:
MrRojos

MrRojos

Great 1st grow brother way better than my 1st run.Been rooting for you.
Mainline looks good and I noticed that when height is a issue you still have room to bend them out more.
I've moved to out door sight or I'd be able to show u a great pic demonstrating what I mean but will try to describe..I will try and post a pick it just loads forever it sux..
The branches sideways angles can be used to basically stick completely sideways..when completly sideways u anchor close to the top bud site. So your branch will be level with the manifold but the top will be curving slightly higher at the top which will now be over hanging the edges of your pots.
Pictures work better man am really sorry bro. You can just continuly manipulate the angles using your ties/where the tie is located on the branch itself. Can also bend the branches in certain places while tieing to form what u want it to look like.
Sit with them and play with the angles bro and feel them out an can see what works,then tie it down.
Your plants are art and you sir are Picasso. Way better than my first run which consisted of 3 plants that ended up getting ripped up by my mom followed by a bitch slap to my face haha 16 years old aw them were the days. Great thread brother:)

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Great 1st grow brother way better than my 1st run.Been rooting for you.
Mainline looks good and I noticed that when height is a issue you still have room to bend them out more.
I've moved to out door sight or I'd be able to show u a great pic demonstrating what I mean but will try to describe..I will try and post a pick it just loads forever it sux..
The branches sideways angles can be used to basically stick completely sideways..when completly sideways u anchor close to the top bud site. So your branch will be level with the manifold but the top will be curving slightly higher at the top which will now be over hanging the edges of your pots.
Pictures work better man am really sorry bro. You can just continuly manipulate the angles using your ties/where the tie is located on the branch itself. Can also bend the branches in certain places while tieing to form what u want it to look like.
Sit with them and play with the angles bro and feel them out an can see what works,then tie it down.
Your plants are art and you sir are Picasso. Way better than my first run which consisted of 3 plants that ended up getting ripped up by my mom followed by a bitch slap to my face haha 16 years old aw them were the days. Great thread brother:)

Thx for popping in @MrRojos .
And for the kind words.
You seem busy lately.

For my 1st time I'm really excited.
They are growing quickly everyday.
I'm hoping bending the branches down will help keep heights under control a little bit.

I feel that once they grow fuller I will have some dense bushes crowding the tent (a good thing I think). Just still waiting on sex to show.

I would prefer to transplant before flip to reduce stress.
But what does everyone think about flipping when the height is right if sex hasn't shown yet.
Then sexing & removing males & transplanting asap.
Would this impart too much stress during flower or would it be ok?

This would only be a last ditch effort to sex when I have reached max planned vertical height during veg (if sex hasn't shown by then). To keep moving forward without having plants get too tall towards the end of flower from waiting too long.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 44

I got tired of waiting for the sex to show. So I took some measurements of the pots they have been in for comparison.

Then took said measurements with me on a hunt. I went to the biggest hydroponic supply store I could find. It was about 30 miles away.

Found some 2gallon pots that were not tapered. That could sit together 5 strong inside my tent. Then proceeded to transplant them all.

Besides the people rooting for me in this journal to succeed.
@Ooopsi
@OutdoorOH
@jumpincactus
@CBDEMON
@MrRojos
@ArcticOrange
@hiiipower
@G gnome
@Icristal
@FlyinJStable
@Dunge
@FrankieCoste
@Seamaiden
etc.

Here are some others who are also rooting for me.

This is the one I keep in the center below the light. It is my favorite and the roots show it.
20160318 192046

20160318 193312

20160318 193954

20160318 194801

20160318 195508

Keep in mind bonds were off for pics & transplant. They were all chained back down once in new pots.
20160318 210056

Here is a canopy shot showing how even it ended up being after bondage.
20160318 210120

In order to help manage heights.
I took vertical measurements of all the plants from the soil to the canopy.

I then took the smallest measurement as the standard and buried it's soil line right at the top of its pot.

Then I took everyone taller and subtracted the small ones height from the rest. And the difference I used to bury them deeper in the pots for even heights.

I would add soil in the pot then measure available vertical room to the top of the pot. Then add or remove bottom layer to reach desired heights.

Before placing plants inside. I made sure to sprinkle some more mychorizae in there.

Once done a good watering in my shower to set the soil.

If anyone is wondering why I didn't trim those pipe cleaners. It is because I plan on using them as the plants grow taller. It should save me a few pennies not having to toss them and use new ones each time.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Once I am confident in their health. Along with a solid feeding schedule.

I will flip them into flower within the week or 2.

Any advice on things to consider/attempt before the flip to get ready guys?

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

They are going to blow up real soon! Nice solid rootball action. Just make sure they root for 1.5 or 2 weeks so that they dont have a delay in flower set while the roots fill the pot. lookin good man!

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
They are going to blow up real soon! Nice solid rootball action. Just make sure they root for 1.5 or 2 weeks so that they dont have a delay in flower set while the roots fill the pot. lookin good man!

Sounds good. I will let them wait a week or two. During that time I am going to be switching them to the gas lantern lighting schedule. 12hrs light>5.5hrs dark>1hr light>5.5hrs dark>repeat.

This should get their flowering hormones charged up. While also revealing their sex via pre-flowers hopefully.

I'm also hoping the increased dark cycle will encourage root growth. To help fill out the pots.

And on a side note will help conserve electricity.

I noticed today after I transplanted everything into the 2 gallon pots. That I started to get a humidity spike during lights off. Upwards of %70.

This was easily corrected by setting the fan controller to idle during the night phase. Instead of shutting off when Temps dropped 10° below max temp setpoint.

The house sits around %35-%45 Rh. So it stabilizes quickly in the tent. Helps the soil drying cycles occur faster too. While also helping to raise home %Rh.

MrRojos

MrRojos

Definitely rooting for you bro and have no doubt that your on your way to becoming a great grower.
Really like your focus and attention to detail.Keep striving for perfection and you gonna be great.
One day you will only be limited by how far your willing to go.Massive grows to closet grows they're all special man and for your first your f-ing doing great :)
Wish u the best and hope your bagseed spawns a legend.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 45

20160319 142541

20160319 142618

The one in the center shows over watering, but the rest do not. It is from me drenching the new soil after transplant. It should recover after a day or so of drying out.

I also set the lighting to the new schedule 12on/5.5off/1on/5.5off/repeat. These shots were from the 1 hr on period.
I'll wake them back up later tonight.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Not sure if it was the transplant into the larger pots, the extra 3 hours or so in the dark during photo period transition (yesterday's full cycle ended at 10am. Meaning today only got 9hrs of dark. Tomorrow will have the full glr of 11hrs of dark) , or the soil drying out to the ideal level after transplant.

When the lights came on for the "new day" I noticed much new light green growth from all the growth tips. As well as a healthier look.

Here are some comparison shots between earlier today during the "gas lantern" phase & the morning phase 5.5 hours later.

Earlier top view
Downloadfile

Now top view
20160319 215927

Earlier side view
Downloadfile 1

Now side view
20160319 215958

Looks to me like the explosive growth should begin soon. I'm interested to see how this gas lantern schedule compares to the standard 18/6. Even if only experienced for a short time.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
@jumpincactus requested some manifold shots. I have some in the root pictures but not all, and not focused on the manifold specifically.

The bonds have been removed from all plants. I'm happy with their shape currently.

First picture is always my center girl.
20160320 174629

This one is the stretcher
20160320 174648

Here is the 5 brancher front+back
20160320 174903

20160320 174853

And here are the rest starting with the one with 1 skinny/runt branch on the manifold.
20160320 174732

20160320 174815

Lights come on in a couple hours.
I'll take my canopy pictures then.

Today I'm looking into a bubbler to bubble my nutes overnight. I got a 3 gal water jug for it. It should be big enough to supply five 2 gallon pots.

Last edited:
OutdoorOH

OutdoorOH

Nice man looking good, looks like there gonna explode anytime now. Also really interested in the gas lantern light schedule. Haven't heard much about that. Let me know what you think about it after a few.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Nice man looking good, looks like there gonna explode anytime now. Also really interested in the gas lantern light schedule. Haven't heard much about that. Let me know what you think about it after a few.

The main idea is that cannabis needs 12hrs of darkness for its hormones to build up enough to signal flowering start. And with 12 hrs of light followed by 5.5 dark 1hr light 5.5 dark.
That's 11hrs of dark with 1hr of light in the middle to help destroy buildup of flowering hormones to keep it just barely out of flower.

A similar concept human males may relate to is how blue balls works. Your hormones tell you so hard what you want, but you don't get it. This leads to a buildup of hormones like no other with you ready to pop lol. Once its time there's a big push all at once immediately.

Once that hour of light in the middle of the dark period is removed. There is much less delay between the photoperiod switch and flowering onset.

Since plants photosynthesis during the day and build during the night leaves/branches/stems/roots. This extended night allows them to grow quickly (so they say). This also helps accelerate root growth since they stretch most at night (so I've read).

I have no experience with it yet so I'm not ready to do full veg with it.

I like the idea of using it as a transition into flowering after transplanting into their final pots. It will allow me to fill the pot with roots. Then when im ready, will flower with little delay.

I'm also hoping it signals them to show sex before flower so I can remove any males.

It seems like a great intermediate step so I will see how it works and post progress. Because I could only find info on what glr was online. But nothing about using it as a transitional stage. So I figured I'd add it to the Internet collective.

Last edited:
OutdoorOH

OutdoorOH

Cool thanks for the info. Lol that's a good way to explain it by the way haha! But the thing I am wondering is could the 1 hr light in the middle of the dark cycle cause a stress and cause them to Hermie ? Not saying it will just wondering cause of the whole light leak thing causing it. Sounds like a good idea to me. Just getting ideas as I just got my first indoor setup started and looking to try some stuff.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Cool thanks for the info. Lol that's a good way to explain it by the way haha! But the thing I am wondering is could the 1 hr light in the middle of the dark cycle cause a stress and cause them to Hermie ? Not saying it will just wondering cause of the whole light leak thing causing it. Sounds like a good idea to me. Just getting ideas as I just got my first indoor setup started and looking to try some stuff.

These are some questions I'd like to figure out for myself. (From what I've read) it doesn't cause hermies.
If it did it may just be bringing out the flaws of the weak genetics/bad seeds.

Since it wouldn't see 12hrs of darkness then it shouldn't be in flower. Light leaks usually cause problems in flower not veg. The stress shouldn't be too intense or affect the final outcome.

I think if it were in flower and you added extra lighting the middle it would affect it for sure.

But then again I have no experience with it yet. I would like to see what happens over the next week or so.
Then I can compare it with what has been happening so far.

I still think it will make for a good intermediate step/transition into flower. But hey I'm no expert.

Top Bottom