Bag Seed Hunting & The Lst Adventure

• Thread starter rmoltis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
What was you tap or source water Ph to start with? I typically start with 7.0/7.1 source water and after mixing nutes the Ph falls to 4.5 as EJ is acidic out of the gate. I bubble 24 hrs there about and after 24 hrs my Ph has risen to 5.0/5.1. Then of course I have to Ph up to around 6.5 for soil feeds.

This is just a minor downside to EJ. Hope this helped.........

As we discussed on the phone I personally start with some light bloom nutes a week or so before flip. My thinking is I want the gurlz to have a pre-boost of bloom nutes a bit early so when they switch hormones to flower mode they already have some of those minerals and nutes to allow for the stretch and flower cycle. I dont have any scientific papers to back this up it is just my personal preference...........:smoking:

I my tap water is about 7 ph based on the color drops I use.

Once EJ nutes are added to water it lowers it to the 4ph range based on the bright red color of the drops.

Today was the day my nute bubbler started foaming. From what I've read that's the sign of microbial activity.

1458690184481 530072273

Today my Ph in the bottle has stabilized to the 6.5-7 range.

I looked at the feeding charts for veg and flower. Noticed the only difference is slightly less grow nutes and some added bloom nutes.

So I added a small amount of bloom nutes to the mix and once it runs out.
I will make a more accurate mix.

Lights come on soon I'll post my daily update then.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 48.

20160322 202008

20160322 202019

20160322 202028

Man when people say stretch, they really mean it. The stretch is on!

They have all reached an average height of between "9-"10 Exactly as planned.

Tiny tiny pre-flowers are forming.
But they are too small to decipher.
I will have to keep a close watch on them over the next few days/weeks.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Oh im sure youre not far behing me sir, you'll be swimming in some of the best flowers here soon.

I hope so that would be wonderful.
You think these bad boys will outgrow my space? Or does this stretch really slow down at a certain point?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I my tap water is about 7 ph based on the color drops I use.

Once EJ nutes are added to water it lowers it to the 4ph range based on the bright red color of the drops.

Today was the day my nute bubbler started foaming. From what I've read that's the sign of microbial activity.

View attachment 584283

Today my Ph in the bottle has stabilized to the 6.5-7 range.

I looked at the feeding charts for veg and flower. Noticed the only difference is slightly less grow nutes and some added bloom nutes.

So I added a small amount of bloom nutes to the mix and once it runs out.
I will make a more accurate mix.

Lights come on soon I'll post my daily update then.

Yes foam can be a sign of the micro herd rock n rolln. But the other side to this is and I have argued long and hard that foam isnt always an indication of a vigorous microherd. Only a microscope can give you that confirmation. Here is a link to purchase affordable microscopes......... In addition this dude really rocks with his information on AACT's and worm casting teas. It is a MUST read if you wanna stay organic..... Heres the link http://www.microbeorganics.com/#Living_Soil

Now back to my comment about foam not being a true indicator of microbial activity as some believe,

As with growing pot the quality of our water and nutes and all else concerning our water quality is important. I liken it to the stuff I went thru with keeping a living reef system. Water quality and all parameters was paramount to keeping a healthy vibrant reef. I used the Berlin method which consisted of live rock with corraline algae, see the similarities, living soil/live rock. The live rock provided water filtration thru the bacteria that populated the pores of the rock and the bacteria helped with denitrfying all of the watse from the corals and fish along with detritus from fedding etc. Well part of the Berlin method also incorporated a protien skimmer to assit with cleansing the water. It is also referred to as a foam fractionator.
See definition here
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_skimmer )

The skimmer injected bubbles via a venturi valve into the water column and due to the dwell time proteins, organic solids and other wastes in the water would cling to the bubbles and over time would rise to the top of the column and overflow in to the collection cup. So what does this have to do with bubbling worm or AACT's. In my opinion if organics and other proteins can cling to bubbles would not bubbling our teas too vigorously also cause the goodies we are trying to brew to cling to the foam???

With that said some people throw away the foam as it looks bad , I personally recommend stirring the foam back into the tea and feed the gurlz with all of the mix.......... I cannot remeber or have the link but I debated with a dude till I was blue in the face cause he was telling peeps to throw the foam away.

Anyhow sorry for the long winded response. It would be kool if some of you all would pipe in and let me know if this made sense ...... I'm pretty baked and get rather wordy when medicated. LOL....... I love you man.......

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 49 (2nd day of flower)

20160323 201325

20160323 201333

20160323 201343

4 out of 5 have been confirmed female. Just waiting on that last one to show.

Got 1 more nute to add to the mix today.
20160323 201514

Also ordered a gallon of the earth juice grow. It seems to be the bottle draining the fastest out of all of them.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Very nice. I'm lovin the manifolds. Overall looking very healthy and vigorous. Did you get the link from my earlier post today @rmoltis ?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Very nice. I'm lovin the manifolds. Overall looking very healthy and vigorous. Did you get the link from my earlier post today @rmoltis ?

Yes I did. I agree the foam brings the nutes to the top. I see it as a residue on the bottle above the water line. Along with a lightening color of the solution. So I make sure to swirl the bottle and reintroduce those nutes back into the mix.

Everything you add into the solution needs to stay in. Or else your just diluting it down over time I feel.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I was just thinking to myself.

When is the ideal time to swap the mh with the hps bulb?

I've heard mh the first couple weeks helps reduce stretch. I like this idea.
Should it be 2weeks exactly?

And I know I'll find out when I switch.
But how much more or less heat will the hps throw off compared to the mh?

This hortilux super blue mh has a quite full spectrum. Producing 29k lumens. which is great for flower and veg.
Blue

But the super hps focuses on the red flower spectrum, while falling short everywhere else. Yet creating 55k lumens.
Shps

I know most will say use the hps which I plan on doing. But could one argue the fuller spectrum would produce healthier plants? Or would the almost double lumen output override that?

So it's like this:
Fuller spectrum lower lumens
Narrower spectrum higher lumens

Which would produce a better final end product?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I was just thinking to myself.

When is the ideal time to swap the mh with the hps bulb?

I've heard mh the first couple weeks helps reduce stretch. I like this idea.
Should it be 2weeks exactly?

And I know I'll find out when I switch.
But how much more or less heat will the hps throw off compared to the mh?

This hortilux super blue mh has a quite full spectrum. Producing 29k lumens. which is great for flower and veg.
View attachment 584567

But the super hps focuses on the red flower spectrum, while falling short everywhere else. Yet creating 55k lumens.View attachment 584568

I know most will say use the hps which I plan on doing. But could one argue the fuller spectrum would produce healthier plants? Or would the almost double lumen output override that?

So it's like this:
Fuller spectrum lower lumens
Narrower spectrum higher lumens

Which would produce a better final end product?
Dont over think it or youll end up getting 15 diff suggestions. Since you are critical on head space, I typically leave my blue MH in for the 1st 10-12 days. I have found it does help with stretch, that has been my experience anyway......... . Go 10-12 dayz and then swap your bloom lights in. Easy peasey bro........ :cool:

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 50 (3rd day of flower)

20160324 202129

20160324 202135

20160324 202142

My tent is turning into a mini jungle.
Still debating whether to stake now.
Or let em go wild for a while lol.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Day 51 (4th day of flower)

20160325 200841

20160325 200849

20160325 200900

So far the tallest branch is "12 tall.
It is the stretcher in the back right corner. The rest are close in height.
Gonna feed them the last bit of the veg/flower nutes mix I had bubbling.
From there on out they will get only flower nutes.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I'm not positive yet.
But that stretcher is starting to show sex. And I'm thinking/hoping it's a male. It's pre flowers don't have any hairs growing out of them just yet. And they look slightly different that the rest.
They are just too tiny to tell still.

Getting that stretching mofo out of there would be wonderful. It looks as if it will get out of control otherwise.
Also it's internode spacing is very far apart.

On a side note 1 of the bunch has a great stank to it. Smells like a skunk is nearby.
I'm not claiming it is a skunk strain, but it sure smells dank!

I had to hurry my feeding. Because pulling them from the tent to the shower.
They were stankin up my house. Not enough room to feed keeping them in the tent. And the tub also catches runoff.

The rest still have sweet or mild smell to them in comparison. I'm sure though their term profiles will come out more as time passes.

Does anyone pick keepers based on stank/smell alone?

Last edited:
Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket

Work out some kind of catch basin for ur runoff rather than trotting them thru the house. Less smell and runoff can be jugged for later removal.

Look and see if there's a stick below that preflower or just a nub attaching it. Nubs female sticks male. Any 4x magnifier oughta show ya that.

I pick my keepers based on cured bud. Too many plants smell great but are weak.

YJ

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Thx for the advice YJ

Work out some kind of catch basin for ur runoff rather than trotting them thru the house. Less smell and runoff can be jugged for later removal.

I would love the idea of a catch basin that loads a liquid storage for me. but alas I need to keep every inch of vertical space I have ("30 total from pot tops to max light height with "8 heat buffer factored in)

I would also love just a propagation tray. But with 5 plants in 2 gallon pots.
The pots touch each other and the boundaries of the tent. It is a 2x2 tent but the distance between the corner supports are "22. Which means I'd have to cut the prop tray defeating it's ability to retain liquids.

Look and see if there's a stick below that preflower or just a nub attaching it. Nubs female sticks male. Any 4x magnifier oughta show ya that.

Looks like this is something I should get soon. I've been debating on which kind to get for looking at trichome progression during flower. Just not sure which magnification level would be best. Any suggestions? You said 4x to look at pre-flowers but I'm looking for dual purpose if possible. Not 2 separate ones.

I pick my keepers based on cured bud. Too many plants smell great but are weak.

Gotch'ya. I'm not sure if I will keep any knowing I have many more Bagseed to run through before upgrading to the quality genetix.

Maybe I'll find one that blows my mind. Then we will see. For now I need to look into a nice cloner that is small and fits 4 minimum. But not too tall. My lower chamber is limited in height ("10 from floor to t5 fixture).

Top Bottom